Duhjoker

Sporadic mouse/keyboard connectivity, crazy graphics pi 3

Fri May 06, 2016 9:21 am

Ok im having several different problems with my pi 3.

First when using the desktop mode i get crazy graphics and colors that look like a weather radar map.

There is also no touch with the waveshare spotspear 4inch LCD.

Im having sporadic control using either my mouse/keyboard pair, regular mouse, regular keyboard. They work when they want to and i have to just let it sit till it wants to work.

Ive installed FBCP so i can use emulation station but when i type the command "fbcp" the screen data gets small and nothing i do with the keyboard (when its working) works.

DirkS

Re: Sporadic mouse/keyboard connectivity, crazy graphics pi

Fri May 06, 2016 9:35 am

Check your power supply (power led on at all times)?
Re touch panel: check your settings.

If you want more detailed help you will need to give more information:
OS + version, details of screen, how you set it up, relevant error / log messages, etc.

Duhjoker

Fri May 06, 2016 7:31 pm

Power supply is fine I'm using a power boost 500.

Pi 3

Raspbian 2-18-16

Waveshare spotspear 4 inch LCD TFT

The screen was set up by using the waveshare wiki. I followed it to a t.

The only error message I get is from trying to start emulationstation it says something about SDL. But it does that when not running fbcp. But like I said earlier when I start FBCP I then have no access, meaning nothing I can do with the keyboard works afterward. You can type in emulationstation or killall fbcp but nothing happens.

DirkS

Fri May 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Duhjoker wrote:Power supply is fine I'm using a power boost 500.
Is it? How do you know?
the waveshare setup guide is absolute rubbish. It makes changes to config.txt that are not necessary.
IIRC it actually overwrites the existting config.txt ith their version. Not good.

Re. the info on the screen getting small etc.: try setting the HDMI mode in /boot/config.txt

Code: Select all

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=4
Maybe this gives you a better result when you use fbcp

I really don't understand wat you're saying about fbcp, mouse and keyboard though..

Duhjoker

Fri May 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Fbcp is a frame rate buffer that allows you to use your non-hdmi screen to play games or watch videos and etc without problems.

It worked great with the pi two.

The mouse and keyboard only work when they want to. I dont know if this is a software problem or what.

All of this started after the raspbian jessie 2-18-16 releases.

gordon77

Fri May 06, 2016 8:02 pm

Duhjoker wrote:Power supply is fine I'm using a power boost 500.

Pi 3

Raspbian 2-18-16

Waveshare spotspear 4 inch LCD TFT

The only error message I get is from trying to start emulationstation it says something about SDL. But it does that when not running fbcp. But like I said earlier when I start FBCP I then have no access, meaning nothing I can do with the keyboard works afterward. You can type in emulationstation or killall fbcp but nothing happens.
Isn't the power boost 500 only giving 500mA? Enough for your pi3 setup?

Duhjoker

Fri May 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Seems to be. I get around 4 1/2 hours. No blips or failures that I've noticed.

All of this started when I switched to the Pi 3 and the latest Jessie. I had the same set up on my Pi 2 and everything worked fine.

Is it a bug with the new 3D graphics generator maybe?

davidcoton

Fri May 06, 2016 8:43 pm

Duhjoker wrote:Seems to be. I get around 4 1/2 hours. No blips or failures that I've noticed.

All of this started when I switched to the Pi 3 and the latest Jessie. I had the same set up on my Pi 2 and everything worked fine.

Is it a bug with the new 3D graphics generator maybe?
4 1/2 hours on which Pi? The Pi3 uses more power than the Pi2. It is probable that the power boost 500 can't keep up. Try with a known good 2.5A supply with a known good cable. Don't waste time looking for other solutions until you have eliminated the power supply as the cause.
Signature retired

Duhjoker

Fri May 06, 2016 8:48 pm

I can see your point on the power. Give me a lil time to get too it and I'll power it through the Micro USB instead of through the gpio with the pb and I'll let you know if every thing is working properly that way.

You might be right because when I first power it up the keyboard/mouse works. Then after a few minutes it gets sporadic.

Duhjoker

Sat May 07, 2016 4:38 am

Ok I would rather not have to pull everything out its case if I don't have to. I can make a square hole for an opening but I can't find a reference for the distance between the HDMI and the micro USB from the online schematics oddly enough.

Would any body happen to be nice enough to measure this for me??

Duhjoker

Sat May 07, 2016 7:20 pm

Been working on it all night or at least the case. I used one of those cheap acrylic cases that break the first time you take it apart and used it as a template to add an opening for the micro USB power.

Also forgot to add an opening for the SD card so that was fun. Since my case is mahogany dressed with ambulia veneer it was easy to mark the areas off with tape and used a razor blade to carve the openings.

Now I have to re-lacquer the case but most of the fiber is filled in and I might be able to get a French polish. Also filed down down the power switch flush to the case so it doesn't turn on or off by accident in my pocket or backpack.

Go to late to check the power but I'm thinking about going ahead and buying the powerboost 1000. Same size so no worry about where to put it.

So just to be straight we think the USB ports are doing some kind of brown outs like it not getting enough power..

I'm gonna finish my case tomorrow after noon and I can tell you how it's working.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun May 08, 2016 5:16 am

Every single one is tested before leaving the factory - I would put money on your problem being your power supply. Have you tried a known good 2.5A supply yet?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

beta-tester

Sun May 08, 2016 6:21 am

Duhjoker wrote:Go to late to check the power but I'm thinking about going ahead and buying the powerboost 1000. Same size so no worry about where to put it.
fist PowerBoost 500, then PowerBoost 1000... really...
you kidding...?
1A of the PowerBoost 1000 is still far off from 2.5A for a RPi3
(and the suggested 2.4A peak of that module, you can not get permanently)
I'm gonna finish my case tomorrow after noon and I can tell you how it's working.
kind of miss-engineering, when you make first your case and then try to get fit all your non-tested components into that case.
Last edited by beta-tester on Sun May 08, 2016 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (rev1, 256MB), B (rev2, 512MB), B+, 2B, 3B, 3B+, ZeroW, ...

Duhjoker

Sun May 08, 2016 6:30 am

Ok the USB problem is due to my hacking. During my build process I removed the Ethernet and and the top halves of my USB stacks. A lil aluminum foil in between the Bottom of the dangle and the bottom of the USB hubs metal bottom did the trick. I'll need to replace those eventually or maybe the Pi 3 A will have singles and no Ethernet when and if it gets made.

I checked the power. When using the auxiliary power the red light stays on and does not flicker. In micro USB mode no red light or red light flicker. So the powerboost is working as promised.

Sorry I don't know too much about all this electrical and I'm learning as I go. I don't get what your saying about the powerboost.

ghans

Sun May 08, 2016 6:42 am

If a Powerboost 2500 or 2000 exist use that. If not , use
another brand which guaratntees 2.5 A (2500 mA) output
current.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Duhjoker

Sun May 08, 2016 6:47 am

Not trying to be argumentative but if they are not suitable why do so many projects I find online call for them?

ghans

Sun May 08, 2016 6:49 am

The Pi3 is very new. I guess those guides are older ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

FM81

Sun May 08, 2016 7:07 am

Have you measured the voltage during running under real conditions? (In best case with an oscilloscope to see also short glitches?)

I also think the powerboost (no matter if 0,5A or 1 A) cannot handle the current?

From waveshare-site:
Which power supply should I use?
It is strongly recommended to use a stand-alone 5V/2A power adapter, because the PC's USB port might have not enough power to support the Pi and LCD.
An may be this is related to older RPi's, which uses less current then the model 3 ...

Greetings, FM_81
A: What does the command 'cat /dev/urandom', can you tell me please?
B: Yeah, that's very simple: It feeds your cat with radioactive material!

Duhjoker

Sun May 08, 2016 7:26 am

I just ran it for two hours on auxiliary power til it died. No USB problems since I fixed that. No I don't have an oscilloscope and I'd rather not have to take everything back apart. But like I said the red light stays strong on aux power and I get no glitches.

Now I started today with a fresh raspbian install and have not the time
tonight to get the LCD going.

If it was a power issue the mouse/keyboard or mouse or keyboards I've plugged in since my USB fix Would still be glitching.

Now the graphics problem only happens in desktop mode and only using the LCD. I even tested a few games at the time it started on my Pi 2. And everything was also working fine before the latest raspbian Jessie update. The problem started right after that.

Also I have used the same waveshare wiki every time. My process never changed. Same problem whether I'm using the Pi 2 or 3 or even my Zero.

Duhjoker

Sun May 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Ok I've been a lil busy. Finished doing any updates and installed YouTube-DL, emulation station, omxplayer GUI, sdl2, minimal kiosk browser and all the sudo apt-get "updates". Still haven't added the screen drivers and such yet and no glitches so far using my USB devices.

Lastly I stalled most of the goodies including fbcp from this page.......

https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki/Framebuffer-use

Now what I was doing wrong was not using the command fbcp & Emulationstation. I was just typing fbcp. Looks like there is a way to use fbcp with Xserver so maybe that's what's going on. The LCD might not be able to completely handle the new system. I know I've been told that already.

I still think there are some software bugs though. Especially since my zero and Pi 2 are affected and were working fine before the latest update.

leiptrstormr

Mon May 09, 2016 1:46 am

I recently picked up a Raspberry Pi 3 when they were on sale at my local computer store. I grabbed what I thought was the proper power supply, but it's only 2.4A. I'm having issues with the mouse cursor suddenly stopping for a second or two as well. No color banding or graphical issues though. I'm using 2016-03-18 Raspbian Jessie Lite with VC4 OpenGL driver enabled. I'm not looking for a solution here as I'm using an experimental driver and insufficient power supply. I just thought I would chime in. Updating to kernel 4.4.8 with rpi-update kills HDMI audio as well.

Duhjoker

Mon May 09, 2016 2:50 am

My error with the mouse and keyboard are modification issues. Been playing with it for hours now.

My LCD isdues started with my pi 2 and zero before i ever bought a 3 and after the latest update.

Duhjoker

Mon May 09, 2016 3:03 am

Give me a minute and ill load a second Sd card with the previous version of jessie and test it on my zero.

Duhjoker

Mon May 09, 2016 8:54 pm

Well guys it has to be a software issue.

I took a second SD card and loaded the previous version of Jessie and the LCD works fine with either a Pi 2 or zero. Pi 3 will not run the previous version Jessie with out bugs.

If take the same card and put the latest version of Jessie on it and put it in any of my pi's I get the same weather radar graphics problem.

When running Emulationstation and its emulators the LCD works fine no matter what Pi or Jessie version.

Still no other glitching with pi's

Duhjoker

Tue May 10, 2016 5:19 am

I'm gonna go ahead and buy a new charger but can any one recommend a charger and step up or a combo that pushes the 2.5A?

Return to “General discussion”