wayner

Do Pi Zeros really exist?

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:42 pm

They are still pretty much impossible to find. I think there are more sightings of Elvis than of the Pi Zero. What's going on?

I have been waiting for a notification of the device being in-stock at Adafruit for months.

Douglas6

Re: Do Pi Zeros really exist?

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:15 pm

Should be a batch hitting stores in the US in 2-3 weeks. Maybe including Icelandic ponies.

wayner

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:21 pm

And maybe unicorns as well.

mosespi

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:22 pm

Elvis has left the building
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

CarlRJ

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Nope, they're purely imaginary, including the one attached to the back of my TV.

The story, somewhere else on this forum (sorry, don't recall exactly where) is that:
  1. Pi Zero production got (partially?) bumped out of the way to make production room for the Pi 3,
  2. Conditions have improved and the Pi Zero is going (has gone?) back into production,
  3. Sony (one? of the manufacturers) has improved automated testing so they can make them faster.
In summary, we should be seeing lots more soon. It has been said before that the the RPF are initally distributing to only a fixed small set of websites. Some others may have it listed, but only speculatively - they may say "backordered" but they won't get any stock until the RPF makes it available beyond that initial set of websites. In the meantime, the website http://whereismypizero.com shows a nice quick summary of stock status at the websites that are getting stock (it's how I grabbed mine, some weeks back).

Be aware that many of the Pi Zeroes getting sold through these sites are packaged (by the sellers) as part of "starter kits". The prospect of getting a Pi for $5 is really cool, but you need a handful of bits to get it running anyway, and if they sold just the Pi Zero for $5 (plus shipping), there wouldn't be much profit. Eh, I'd call it non-optimal but understandable. I got the "Pi Zero Budget Pack" from Adafruit for $25, and I'm using the power adapter, MicroSD card and mini-HDMI adapter from the kit (also used the MicroUSB adapter cable initially, but have now switched to a "Plugable OTG Micro-B to Ethernet Adapter", which precisely fits my needs), and the extra bits were not priced unreasonably, so I'm not unhappy. Just be aware that this kind of thing is what you're likely to find.

Still waiting for their ubiquitous availability, so folks can start populating USB hubs with them, making tiny "compute clusters". :mrgreen:

wayner

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:03 am

Even the bundles seem permanently OOS at Adafruit. But I don't need more USB micro cables. microSD cards or power supplies, I have lots of those. I just want a Pi Zero. Bundling so that they cost the same as a Pi3 doesn't make much sense as then I may as well just but a Pi3.

Douglas6

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:19 am

Adafruit sells bare Pi Zeros for $5. Apparently fewer of them than they put in kits. There are several major differences between the Zero and the Pi3B, besides price.

wayner

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:24 am

Adafruit purports to sell Pi Zeros for $5 but I don't know that they have ever had that product item in stock. From what I have heard when they have stock they prefer to sell them in bundles. And on both products I have set up a notification weeks ago without ever getting a notification that the product(s) is(are) in stock.

I know that there are lots of differences between the Zero and the 3 (I have at least one of most variants of the Pi). I want a Zero because I want to use it in a battery powered application where low power consumption is of benefit. But the main other advantage is price and that is negated if you can only buy the Zero in an overpriced bundle.

Douglas6

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:33 am

I bought one of my Zeros from Adafruit for $5 plus shipping. So, yes, they do.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:29 am

CarlRJ wrote:Nope, they're purely imaginary, including the one attached to the back of my TV.

The story, somewhere else on this forum (sorry, don't recall exactly where) is that:
  1. Pi Zero production got (partially?) bumped out of the way to make production room for the Pi 3,
  2. Conditions have improved and the Pi Zero is going (has gone?) back into production,
  3. Sony (one? of the manufacturers) has improved automated testing so they can make them faster.
Pi Zeros went back into production last Monday (18 April 2016). The only place that Pi Zeros are made is the Sony factory in Pencoed, Wales.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 am

Douglas6 wrote:Adafruit sells bare Pi Zeros for $5. Apparently fewer of them than they put in kits. There are several major differences between the Zero and the Pi3B, besides price.
Generally speaking, the bare Pi Zeros sell out first (and fast). The kits stick around rather longer.

Jednorozec

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:41 am

I think I'll see the Easter Bunny before I ever see a Pi Zero or a printed MagPi.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

CarlRJ

Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:21 am

Jednorozec wrote:I think I'll see the Easter Bunny before I ever see a Pi Zero or a printed MagPi.
I suspect Pi Zero stock will be plentiful by next Easter - probably considerably sooner ;) And FWIW, (at least) Adafruit has many MagPi issues in stock, but not the one with the Pi Zero on the cover.

yodermk

Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:41 am

They've said they'll produce 50k a month, which seems woefully inadequate. That's only 600k/year, and I bet there's easily demand for 10 million. :(

I personally want to order 10. I probably wouldn't even bother for just one.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:46 am

yodermk wrote:They've said they'll produce 50k a month, which seems woefully inadequate. That's only 600k/year, and I bet there's easily demand for 10 million. :(

I personally want to order 10. I probably wouldn't even bother for just one.
The "50K per month for the rest of this year" is a *target*. No bets on how close to target things will come out. (Could go over or under very easily.)

What are the assumptions you're using to come up with that 10 million figure? Especially since total sales are still probably less than that.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:42 am

Subject has been done to death. Be patient. They are coming.....
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “General discussion”