tweak42

PiZero IoT pHAT (bluetooth+wifi for $9)

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:33 am

Maybe I fail at searching, but I couldn't find anywhere on the forum mentioning this PiZero HAT that adds bluetooth and wifi for $9. Considering the recent PiZero production ramp up, I'm hoping to finding one in stock soon, and this HAT looks like something worthwhile to pair with it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... or-pi-zero

Edit: found this post from redbear asking for HAT naming clarification.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=143208&p=946112&hi ... AT#p946112

Ongelma

Re: PiZero IoT HAT (bluetooth+wifi for $9)

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:57 am

Cheers for this. Backed it ;)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:55 am

It's not strictly a HAT, so they are bit naughty using that designation but it does look like a nice board.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

tpylkko

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:10 am

i don want to rain on your parade, but there are some things that make me suspect it. First, the page says that it is better to get this board than two USB dongles, one for bluetooth and the other for wifi. But - and correct my if I'm wrong - there are combo dongles that incorporate both wifi and bluetooth. Second, it uses the same chip as the RPi 3, which is nice, but does have some limitations. Such as max throughput on wifi only 70, fairly short range and bluetooth problems (coexisting with wifi etc.). And what if you want to use another HAT? For example, it would be nice to connect a pi zero with a pHAT DAC and also with this. But is it possible?

DougieLawson

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:51 pm

I suspect you're worrying too much.

I've backed for it $15 + $5 shipping to free up the WiFi dongle that's in my 2B for use in another RPi. If I decide to buy a 512MB A+ I'll use it for that.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Douglas6

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:45 pm

tpylkko wrote:correct my if I'm wrong - there are combo dongles that incorporate both wifi and bluetooth.
They are rare, expensive, and the ones I've seen are huge. Looks like a nice (p)HAT to me. The backers seem to agree.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:25 pm

Wonder what if anything their plans for CE/FCC certification are?

Douglas6

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:38 pm

Assuming this is associated with RedBearLab, they have some experience with producing Bluetooth and WiFi modules.

Paul Webster

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:40 pm

plugwash wrote:Wonder what if anything their plans for CE/FCC certification are?
They posted this a couple of days ago
"We are working out the cost for a stretch goal for getting IoT HAT certified for USA (FCC) and Europe (CE-R&TTE).
As for Japan MIC/TELEC, unless we have enough demand from backers based in Japan (>1,000+) or partnering with a Japanese resellers, we cannot afford the high cost of the certification."

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:04 pm

While it is an interesting--and reasonably clever--device, I take exception to their claim that "WiFi and BT" are "essential". I don't use BT at all and I only use WiFi when I am forced to by circumstances.

Douglas6

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:08 pm

I assume that's in reference to IoT, in which case, fairly accurate. It IS an 'IoT HAT'.
Last edited by Douglas6 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:09 pm

Douglas6 wrote:I assume that's in reference to IoT, in which case, fairly accurate.
Except that their picture of how much simpler it makes cabling...is "desktop" setups.

davidcoton

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:10 pm

Paul Webster wrote:
plugwash wrote:Wonder what if anything their plans for CE/FCC certification are?
"We are working out the cost for a stretch goal for getting IoT HAT certified for USA (FCC) and Europe (CE-R&TTE).
As for Japan MIC/TELEC, unless we have enough demand from backers based in Japan (>1,000+) or partnering with a Japanese resellers, we cannot afford the high cost of the certification."
Si if they reach the first goal but not the stretch goal, they'll make and sell an uncertified device? Please, NOOOOOO!
Signature retired

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:46 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Paul Webster wrote:
Si if they reach the first goal but not the stretch goal, they'll make and sell an uncertified device? Please, NOOOOOO!
Might be a reward in turning them in.... Not that I'd ever suggest doing such a thing.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:51 pm

Douglas6 wrote:I assume that's in reference to IoT, in which case, fairly accurate. It IS an 'IoT HAT'.
Well it's not a HAT. :lol:

skspurling

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:01 pm

Douglas6 wrote:
tpylkko wrote:correct my if I'm wrong - there are combo dongles that incorporate both wifi and bluetooth.
They are rare, expensive, and the ones I've seen are huge. Looks like a nice (p)HAT to me. The backers seem to agree.
The drivers are also not very good on the Pi. I got one, and I can get the wifi to work a bit. Can't get the Bluetooth to work.

skspurling

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:03 pm

alexeames wrote:
Douglas6 wrote:I assume that's in reference to IoT, in which case, fairly accurate. It IS an 'IoT HAT'.
Well it's not a HAT. :lol:
Why not call the smaller "Hats" for the zero a Cap?

stderr

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:22 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
davidcoton wrote:
Paul Webster wrote: As for Japan MIC/TELEC, unless we have enough demand from backers based in Japan (>1,000+) or partnering with a Japanese resellers, we cannot afford the high cost of the certification."
Might be a reward in turning them in.... Not that I'd ever suggest doing such a thing.
There should be global certification to speed this stuff along and not price anyone who is trying to innovate out of the legitimate market. But regarding not getting certification, most SBCs seem to be FCC Class A but are often sold to home users. Do you really think all those wifi and bt dongles shipped for a buck and half out of China are certified even if they claim to be right on the side? Back in the day, "Here's a handful of FCC Class B stickers." Well, I'm not sure that's how it's supposed to work.

Douglas6

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:12 pm

alexeames wrote:Well it's not a HAT. :lol:
OK, pHAT, cap, kippah, boater, lid, whatever. I personally like 'beret', as in 'Raspberry beret', especially appropriate today.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:22 pm

Douglas6 wrote:
alexeames wrote:Well it's not a HAT. :lol:
OK, pHAT, cap, kippah, boater, lid, whatever. I personally like 'beret', as in 'Raspberry beret', especially appropriate today.
I'm only grumpily expressing my annoyance as someone who did stick to the rules in order to be able to legitimately use the term HAT to market a board. It grates a bit to see others doing it without sticking to the spec. Love their board, but it's not a HAT and they knew about it 2 weeks before they launched.

Incidentally, I did back this IoT HAT. I was one of the early-turds. It's doing very well indeed.

asandford

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:52 pm

I backed a previous KS project by RB based on my experience of their kit. I also backed this one on day one. The RB Duo I received from the previous campaign works better (IME) than the device it 'enhances' (I've found the particle photon to be temperamental to say the least - the grove kit for photon works much better with the RB Duo than it does with the photon - again IME).

gregeric

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:59 am

There's a comment on the KS page that again the BCM43438 FM Rx isn't supported. I checked the AP6212 module's datasheet which shows pad 4 is the FM_RX pin - should be easy enough to tack a wire on to. Not so lucky with the analogue FM audio outputs though. All the same some enterprising person should be able to make it play FM over bluetooth.

Seems a fair price. I haven't backed it - made something similar for myself which doesn't hog the GPIO header and is somewhat more compact: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=137710&hilit=+shabpi

If it's just WiFi you are after, do it yourself by wiring up an (FCC approved) ESP-12E module for $2. Cheaper, smaller, but no upstream esp8089 driver so you have to build kernel modules yourself.

redbear

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:36 pm

This is Chi from RedBear.

Naming
We post on the forum to ask for official naming for "HAT" designed as PiZero form factor and there is no "official" answer. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=143208

We will leave it for now as it was featured as “IoT HAT” in the Raspberry Pi Weekly Newsletter
https://www.raspberrypi.org/weekly/scales/

Performance & Range
Michael Horne @Raspberry Pi Pod had tested our prototype and found "I compared the wifi speed to that of the official Raspberry Pi Foundation dongle and found them to have almost identical performance”
http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog/?p=14544

Range
We have a socket for external antenna on the board, no soldering or hacking is needed.

FCC & CE-R&TTE
It will cost a few thousand US dollars for both certifications but we are commit to get them for IoT ‘HAT’ if we could reach US$80k in funding. Please help us to spread the news.

FYI, board from our previous Kickstarter project, RedBear Duo, is certified already.
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... =2ABXJ-DUO

Bottom line:
we meet all other requirements list on, https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats,
except the form factor (cause we want to fit the Pi Zero) and we are more than happy to change it if the official naming conversation. And will get the board tested for FCC & CE-R&TTE.

darkbibble

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:40 pm

shouldn't it be a pHAT like the other pi zero hats
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

Massi

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:51 pm

sadly even this is limited to 2.4 GHz...
afaik this was a chioice of the foundation for the 3B, not an hardware limit (am i wrong?)

Return to “General discussion”