Moospreh
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Buy now or wait

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Hello once again everyone! ^^;
After I recieved a lot of kind advice on my last questions, I decided I am going to buy a R Pi
However, should I buy a R Pi 3 or wait for the 4?

I am unsure on what to do :s

Heater
Posts: 13608
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Get a Pi 3 immediately.

There is no known Pi 4 on the horizon.

Given the history of computers over the last 3 or 4 decades one could have put off buying anything at any time because there is something better coming along "real soon now". One would never get a computer!

If you wait you are wasting valuable life not doing all the fun things you could be doing with a Pi now.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

gordon77
Posts: 4220
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Buy the 3, no news or date for a 4:-)

User avatar
0xFF
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Buy now or wait

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:33 pm

I suggest to wait for RPi5 release.

Moospreh
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:50 pm

Heater wrote:Get a Pi 3 immediately.

There is no known Pi 4 on the horizon.

Given the history of computers over the last 3 or 4 decades one could have put off buying anything at any time because there is something better coming along "real soon now". One would never get a computer!

If you wait you are wasting valuable life not doing all the fun things you could be doing with a Pi now.
Would you recommend any particular like accessories(if that's the word to use) to buy with it?

Pithagoros
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:51 pm

Buy a 3 now.
Then when the 4 appears, buy a 4.
I have a 3, but I don't really use it. The 2 is more than good enough for my requirements and I do most stuff with my Zeros.

Accessories, depends what you have already and how you intend to use it.

Moospreh
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Pithagoros wrote:Buy a 3 now.
Then when the 4 appears, buy a 4.
I have a 3, but I don't really use it. The 2 is more than good enough for my requirements and I do most stuff with my Zeros.

Accessories, depends what you have already and how you intend to use it.
I currently haven't even got a R Pi :d

fsck
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:55 pm

There will not be a new Pi for at least a year, I'd guess, likely more.

gordon77
Posts: 4220
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Moospreh wrote:
Pithagoros wrote:Buy a 3 now.
Then when the 4 appears, buy a 4.
I have a 3, but I don't really use it. The 2 is more than good enough for my requirements and I do most stuff with my Zeros.

Accessories, depends what you have already and how you intend to use it.
I currently haven't even got a R Pi :d
But you might have psu, keyboard, display, mouse?

Want do you want to do?

User avatar
Jednorozec
Posts: 809
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Deposit, NY

Re: Buy now or wait

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:02 pm

The main thing that you should get is a good power supply that's made for the RPi. Also a coupld of sd card and an sd card reader if you don't have one.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

ejolson
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:55 am

Heater wrote:Get a Pi 3 immediately.
While the next model may be a long way off, minor revisions come more frequently, especially at the beginning of a product's life cycle. The original Pi 2B had a light sensitive power regulator that would crash the whole system if it was exposed to a sudden change of light intensity as happens when a flash photograph is taken. I'm not sure whether the Pi 3 has undergone any revisions since the first production run. An obvious issue to address would be overheating and wrong computational results using NEON optimized code.

If you can get it cheaper, you might like the older Pi 2B instead. That is, unless you really need built-in wifi or the extra performance.

gordon77
Posts: 4220
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:04 am

I hadn't heard of any 'minor upgrades' to the pi, anyone know of any?

stderr
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:09 am

Heater wrote:If you wait you are wasting valuable life not doing all the fun things you could be doing with a Pi now.
Like trolling the R. pi forum.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:14 am

stderr wrote:
Heater wrote:If you wait you are wasting valuable life not doing all the fun things you could be doing with a Pi now.
Like trolling the R. pi forum.
Comments like could also be considered trolling - so please don't do it.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10487
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:37 am

buy a 3 now
also get a good quality 2.5A PSU
a couple of good SDcards
if you are strapped for cash then a 2B+ would be fine
anything you learn with the 3 will be fine for future use
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ghodan
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:05 am

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:53 am

Buy a Pi-3 now.
Then in march 2017 buy a Pi-4 and use the SD card and power-supply (and case?) for a Pi-4.

cjan
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:08 am

buy even version for steady.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:21 am

cjan wrote:buy even version for steady.
Rubbish!
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

zardoz66
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:02 am
Location: Austin TX
Contact: Website

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:12 pm

Get the RPi 3b now. it's the best one to date IMO.

I would look for kit deals that come with power supply SD card case.
Zardoz
Raspberry Pi 3 | Raspbian Jessie | 32GB Samsung EVO+ | D-Link 7 port USB HUB | Sabrent CRW-EXT 6-Slot Card Reader | 64GB USB Storage. Other RPi's - 2x RPi1b, 1x Rpi1b+ 1x Rpi2b, 2x Rpi3b
Join us on IRC #raspberrypi at https://webchat.freenode.net/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23876
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:38 pm

ejolson wrote:
Heater wrote:Get a Pi 3 immediately.
While the next model may be a long way off, minor revisions come more frequently, especially at the beginning of a product's life cycle. The original Pi 2B had a light sensitive power regulator that would crash the whole system if it was exposed to a sudden change of light intensity as happens when a flash photograph is taken. I'm not sure whether the Pi 3 has undergone any revisions since the first production run. An obvious issue to address would be overheating and wrong computational results using NEON optimized code.

If you can get it cheaper, you might like the older Pi 2B instead. That is, unless you really need built-in wifi or the extra performance.
If either of these things actually prove to be problems, then they would likely require a respin of the SoC, and perhaps even input from ARM, who designed the NEON RTL. That's not happening in the near future.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

stderr
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:44 pm

jamesh wrote:If either of these things actually prove to be problems, then they would likely require a respin of the SoC, and perhaps even input from ARM, who designed the NEON RTL. That's not happening in the near future.
But it isn't impossible to believe that the board itself might undergo some revisions over the span, even if you believe that the main chip is basically dialled in right right now.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23876
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:07 pm

stderr wrote:
jamesh wrote:If either of these things actually prove to be problems, then they would likely require a respin of the SoC, and perhaps even input from ARM, who designed the NEON RTL. That's not happening in the near future.
But it isn't impossible to believe that the board itself might undergo some revisions over the span, even if you believe that the main chip is basically dialled in right right now.
It probably will, although the RPF has got pretty good at getting the latest boards right first time due to experience gained from the earlier models. I'm not expecting major changes, perhaps a component here or there, to reduce BOM or increase reliability.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20905
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:44 pm

zardoz66 wrote:Get the RPi 3b now. it's the best one to date IMO.

I would look for kit deals that come with power supply SD card case.
+1

...always buy the latest, and ignore the may or may not be a future model with various features responses, the original RPi is still being used after 4 years for many tasks, so a RPi 3B will be relevant for quite a few years :D
Retired disgracefully.....

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10995
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:50 pm

jamesh wrote:
stderr wrote:
jamesh wrote:If either of these things actually prove to be problems, then they would likely require a respin of the SoC, and perhaps even input from ARM, who designed the NEON RTL. That's not happening in the near future.
But it isn't impossible to believe that the board itself might undergo some revisions over the span, even if you believe that the main chip is basically dialled in right right now.
It probably will, although the RPF has got pretty good at getting the latest boards right first time due to experience gained from the earlier models. I'm not expecting major changes, perhaps a component here or there, to reduce BOM or increase reliability.
Right. I haven't seen a significant change in a board since the original Model B...and that board went through at least 3 of them that I can recall. Let's see how many I can actually remember... USB polyfuses to 0 Ohm resitors, removing the 0 Ohm resistors, upgrading to 512MB RAM.

The A+, B+, Pi2B, and Pi3B have remained--essentially--unchanged. The Pi Zero is getting a "new feature", so I guess that counts as a noticeable board change.

Pithagoros
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Buy now or wait

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:11 pm

I've never seen the Pi as a one off purchase. For me it's a serial thing.

At the moment we are in season 3 episode 1.

Return to “General discussion”