laurent

Re: PiZero Roadmap

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:03 am

When I see some posts, I just hope Eben has no regrets telling us some informations about incoming availability and this new feature about the Pi zero. I wonder if consequences aren't worse than if he didn't said anything :roll:

This new feature is just an extra bonus over our yet amazing mini SBC, so, if you can't have fun trying to find what is this new feature, just wait to discover when the Zero will become available.

They said it's on the way and it's a good awaited new !!! So be patient, have fun, and make your paypal account ready :D

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:18 am

Wow, who would have thought it.

I'll try and explain a bit better. The PF are making a LOT of Zero's in this next batch, it's going to take a couple of weeks to build them, and once they are ready to go, it will be announced along with the 'new' feature.

Note, there are few to no Zero's currently in the supply chain. No-one has claimed Osbourne. You could know what the feature is now, but why do you need to know now? Because that knowledge really doesn't make any difference to anyone (well, maybe a few individuals, but not many), since you cannot buy the current Zero anyway. Why not let the Foundation announce it on the day of availability? Better press, and you will actually be able to buy them straight away! Unless demand is REALLY mad.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:21 am

piglet wrote:I'm not normally one to criticise, but this is starting to look very childish to me.

There aren't any pi Zeros to buy, so the Osborne effect argument doesn't appear to apply. "We know something you don't! wisper wisper" is more suited to the far end of the infant playground.
I believe it's called "Having a bit of fun" trying to guess what the feature is. If you want the forum to be boring boring boring, that could also be arranged. We could all be very adult about it, but what's the fun in that?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Massi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:31 am

Massi wrote:
jamesh wrote:Feature will be announced when enough have been manufactured to sate demand.
i assume you're having some fun, because this is a nonsense at all.
just to clarify: wait for the demand to be sated for Zeros is LOL, you are going to sell a lot of "newly featured zeros" without having said what the new feature is.

it was better a "we are not going to say anything until someone will discover it in the new Zeros.1"

fanoush

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:00 am

jamesh wrote:it will be announced along with the 'new' feature.
So is it 'new' feature or new 'feature' or simply new feature? ;-)

I am guessing audio pins. It is easiest to do and it is actually not that new. It is something that was taken away so it makes sense to put it back.

Other than that I really hope for the one piece per customer restriction 'feature' to go away.
jamesh wrote:you will actually be able to buy them straight away!
Yes I want to buy them. Not buy one.

mfa298

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:14 am

piglet wrote:I'm not normally one to criticise, but this is starting to look very childish to me.
I was thinking exactly the same this morning. From what was said at the start of this thread and also in the other similar thread I was expecting the "new feature" to be announced this week or once the guessing had subsided (which seems to have happened). It now feels like a case of playground taunting "We know something you don't know".

Zzed

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:38 am

Good morning, I am part of the staff of the Italian Community site of the Raspberry Pi users (www.raspberryitaly.com). I wanted to highlight the situation to the outside of the UK or USA. For us Italians, buy a Pi Zero is not convenient. And we are still in the EU. For a device to be $ 5, we are required of us 25/28 $ as shipping cost. A Raspberry Pi 2 costs the same on Amazon, a Pi 3, a few dollars more .. Everyone wants Pi Zero, no one can buy. A computer at $ 5 could be a revolution, but this limited distribution, is penalizing it. At least for the sites and user communities in the world, you could think of some form of relief (such as the ability to buy 50 or 100 or a whole box, which then would be redistributed locally between users).
Regards

geoffr

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:08 pm

Zzed wrote:Good morning, I am part of the staff of the Italian Community site of the Raspberry Pi users (http://www.raspberryitaly.com). I wanted to highlight the situation to the outside of the UK or USA. For us Italians, buy a Pi Zero is not convenient. And we are still in the EU. For a device to be $ 5, we are required of us 25/28 $ as shipping cost. A Raspberry Pi 2 costs the same on Amazon, a Pi 3, a few dollars more .. Everyone wants Pi Zero, no one can buy. A computer at $ 5 could be a revolution, but this limited distribution, is penalizing it. At least for the sites and user communities in the world, you could think of some form of relief (such as the ability to buy 50 or 100 or a whole box, which then would be redistributed locally between users).
Regards
While I have to agree that it is challenging for potential purchasers outside the UK, the biggest problem I have had so far has been that the stock notifications from suppliers have generally come out at the dead of night when everyone Down Under is asleep. Shipping for a Pi Zero to Melbourne cost me GBP 3.50 (if I recall correctly) - while it is high relative to the price of the Zero, I can live with that. (It is less than the cost of sending an equivalent size parcel from Melbourne to Sydney!) What would be more convenient is if I could buy a couple at a time, or club together with mates. It would however be still more convenient if local suppliers had stock (and not at ripoff prices, like some Aussie resellers seem to be inclined).

jamesh

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Zzed wrote:Good morning, I am part of the staff of the Italian Community site of the Raspberry Pi users (http://www.raspberryitaly.com). I wanted to highlight the situation to the outside of the UK or USA. For us Italians, buy a Pi Zero is not convenient. And we are still in the EU. For a device to be $ 5, we are required of us 25/28 $ as shipping cost. A Raspberry Pi 2 costs the same on Amazon, a Pi 3, a few dollars more .. Everyone wants Pi Zero, no one can buy. A computer at $ 5 could be a revolution, but this limited distribution, is penalizing it. At least for the sites and user communities in the world, you could think of some form of relief (such as the ability to buy 50 or 100 or a whole box, which then would be redistributed locally between users).
Regards
Best bet, either approach one of the existing distributors, or the RPF themselves, buy a batch (100? 1000?) and sell locally. In effect become an Italian distributor. Try info@raspberrypi.org.

AFAIK, the limited distribution is not down to the Foundation, but to the price, which is so low that most people don't want to supply it.

MikeDunn

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:31 pm

jamesh wrote:I believe it's called "Having a bit of fun" trying to guess what the feature is. If you want the forum to be boring boring boring, that could also be arranged. We could all be very adult about it, but what's the fun in that?
Not wanting to start any flaming ... My understanding (and that of others here) when this was first "announced" was that this "new" feature was going to be told to us the same day that the Zeros were going back into production, ie a few days after being mentioned. That would give a few days of "a bit of fun" and a week or so of anticipation of getting the device.

However, it has come to be realised that this is not the case. It is now along the lines of next Monday, or more likely some indeterminate time in the future ... that has pushed this from "a bit of fun" to "why did you bother mentioning it so far in advance ?".

To my mind, all this has done is to provide ammo to those who demand to know about new Pi's in advance of release ("you told us several weeks before the new Zero came out so why can't you do the same for this one ?") ... I appreciate that in this instance you can't obtain a Zero, so it doesn't impact existing sales, but ... It would perhaps have been better to give a date for when this information was going to be disclosed, rather than allow various incorrect assumptions to be made of this date that have annoyed people here ? Or to have either not told us until they're almost at the shops or just not told us at all beforehand ?

I hope you realise that I'm not trying to "dump" all over you; but several people on here have seemingly hit the nail on the head with their interpretation of what is happening with perceptions :(

Mike

Zzed

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:32 pm

geoffr wrote:. Shipping for a Pi Zero to Melbourne cost me GBP 3.50 (if I recall correctly) - while it is high relative to the price of the Zero, I can live with that....
Geoffr,I reported actual situations. I do not complain if the expedition was also equal to the cost of Pi Zero, but 500% feel there is something wrong. Right now it's available on PiHut, but does not ship to Italy (whereas ships in France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany ..)

jamesh

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:34 pm

mfa298 wrote:
I was thinking exactly the same this morning. From what was said at the start of this thread and also in the other similar thread I was expecting the "new feature" to be announced this week or once the guessing had subsided (which seems to have happened). It now feels like a case of playground taunting "We know something you don't know".
I think the important thing to take from this is that, actually, I DO know something you don't*. I am a governor of a primary school, and have two primary school children, does that count?

* This is a joke post. Sadly, given comments above, I feel I need to add this disclaimer.

jgreen71

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:37 pm

jamesh wrote: Unless demand is REALLY mad.
Yes, demand *will* be REALLY, REALLY mad.

Massi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:37 pm

Zzed wrote:
geoffr wrote:. Shipping for a Pi Zero to Melbourne cost me GBP 3.50 (if I recall correctly) - while it is high relative to the price of the Zero, I can live with that....
Geoffr,I reported actual situations. I do not complain if the expedition was also equal to the cost of Pi Zero, but 500% feel there is something wrong. Right now it's available on PiHut, but does not ship to Italy (whereas ships in France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany ..)
this has already been discussed.
you can find racism here and there, don't make me search the forum for you
it seems that we have fun stealing and frauding distributors (but not chinese distributors)
To get my Zero, i had to ask to a french guy living in italy to receive it for me in france and then take it to me here in italy
that's how it works and no one at the foundation cares.
accept it :)

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:40 pm

MikeDunn wrote: However, it has come to be realised that this is not the case. It is now along the lines of next Monday, or more likely some indeterminate time in the future ... that has pushed this from "a bit of fun" to "why did you bother mentioning it so far in advance ?".
A case of the Foundation being damned if they do, damned if they don't. OK, so stocks of the zero have relatively trickled through, but if they had stopped altogether, with no notice, then more eyebrows would be raised. At least there is an explanation why production (of current version) has stopped altogether - ready for a large initial hit of availability of the new version.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

RaTTuS

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Massi wrote:...
please stop
it is nothing to do with the foundation.
they have distributors
they well may have more in the future
but at the moment they are limited to the ones they have
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:41 pm

MikeDunn wrote:
jamesh wrote:I believe it's called "Having a bit of fun" trying to guess what the feature is. If you want the forum to be boring boring boring, that could also be arranged. We could all be very adult about it, but what's the fun in that?
Not wanting to start any flaming ... My understanding (and that of others here) when this was first "announced" was that this "new" feature was going to be told to us the same day that the Zeros were going back into production, ie a few days after being mentioned. That would give a few days of "a bit of fun" and a week or so of anticipation of getting the device.

However, it has come to be realised that this is not the case. It is now along the lines of next Monday, or more likely some indeterminate time in the future ... that has pushed this from "a bit of fun" to "why did you bother mentioning it so far in advance ?".

To my mind, all this has done is to provide ammo to those who demand to know about new Pi's in advance of release ("you told us several weeks before the new Zero came out so why can't you do the same for this one ?") ... I appreciate that in this instance you can't obtain a Zero, so it doesn't impact existing sales, but ... It would perhaps have been better to give a date for when this information was going to be disclosed, rather than allow various incorrect assumptions to be made of this date that have annoyed people here ? Or to have either not told us until they're almost at the shops or just not told us at all beforehand ?

I hope you realise that I'm not trying to "dump" all over you; but several people on here have seemingly hit the nail on the head with their interpretation of what is happening with perceptions :(

Mike
Take it up with the RPF, they one who tells us what's what and what we can say.

My own thoughts on the subject is that YOU REALLY DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW what the feature is, because you cannot buy a Zero anyway right now. It's a small change, requested by many. It's really not worth all this whining!

My other thought on the subject, Eben came on the forum, gave some information, added the tiniest of teasers, and now the mods are having to deal with the (unnecessary) fallout. I don't expect Eben to do that again because of the fallout, so all the above will have done is ensure that information is no longer posted until much closer to releases. Well done everyone.

darkbibble

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:43 pm

yea the black market for pi's is crazy, seen some £147 A+ the other day lol.

cant wait to get a new zero or A+ to play with.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

jamesh

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:45 pm

Massi wrote:
Zzed wrote:
this has already been discussed.
you can find racism here and there, don't make me search the forum for you
it seems that we have fun stealing and frauding distributors (but not chinese distributors)
To get my Zero, i had to ask to a french guy living in italy to receive it for me in france and then take it to me here in italy
I was debating whether to delete this post, because on the nonsense enclosed, but have decided to answer to points brought up.

1. It's not racism to insist that a postage system that cannot be abused is used.
2. There is no cheating or defrauding of anyone.
3. The Foundation does care, to say they don't is a complete and utter LIE. But what can they do about?

If you want a distributor in Italy (or wherever), instead of complaining, become one. Then you will find out what problems are encountered for yourself.

piglet

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:46 pm

jamesh wrote: I am a governor of a primary school, and have two primary school children, does that count?
I was a governor in a primary school, and also have two primary school children. I would suggest that if they invited friends round to play and teased them about something the two of them knew that the friends didn't, it would probably be appropriate to have a quiet but firm word in their shell-likes...and perhaps a short sit on the bottom step

Is there a bottom step at Pi Towers? :P
Last edited by piglet on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:47 pm

darkbibble wrote:yea the black market for pi's is crazy, seen some £147 A+ the other day lol.

cant wait to get a new zero or A+ to play with.
What? That's insane. Not sure I have an A+, otherwise I'd sell it RIGHT NOW if I could that sort of cash!

jamesh

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:49 pm

piglet wrote:
jamesh wrote: I am a governor of a primary school, and have two primary school children, does that count?
I was a governor in a primary school, and also have two primary school children. I would suggest that if they invited friends round to play and teased them about something the two of them knew that the friends didn't, it would probably be appropriate to have a quiet but firm word in their shell-likes...or a short sit on the bottom step

Is there a bottom step at Pi Towers? :P
No idea, haven't been to the new office. Because I'm a mod, not an employee.

Don't worry, I seriously doubt there will ever be any future titbits like this due the complaints above. You'll now only find out about stuff as it happens. Less information is clearly better from a mods POV. It's really quite annoying. I saw this thread, thought you lot deserved some more information, asked Eben if there was anything that could be added, he kindly added, and now I get to deal with the aftershocks. So, not happening again.

laurent

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:01 pm

jamesh wrote:
Take it up with the RPF, they one who tells us what's what and what we can say.

My own thoughts on the subject is that YOU REALLY DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW what the feature is, because you cannot buy a Zero anyway right now. It's a small change, requested by many. It's really not worth all this whining!

My other thought on the subject, Eben came on the forum, gave some information, added the tiniest of teasers, and now the mods are having to deal with the (unnecessary) fallout. I don't expect Eben to do that again because of the fallout, so all the above will have done is ensure that information is no longer posted until much closer to releases. Well done everyone.
Unfortunately, it is exactly what I was feared about (and tried to say with my poor english level in my previous post at 11:03 am). But we can easily understand that. Expectations surrounding the Zero are so high that this little piece of hardware is getting peoples becoming crazy.
Take it for the price of such a success ;)

Massi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:10 pm

jamesh wrote:I was debating whether to delete this post, because on the nonsense enclosed, but have decided to answer to points brought up.
feel obviously free to delete my posts if they hurt you or they ruin forum peace. but
1. It's not racism to insist that a postage system that cannot be abused is used.
No it isn't. BUT if you insist to use it only in some areas, well this is by definition racism. (areas where the same postal system you commonly use is available).
2. There is no cheating or defrauding of anyone.
I'm with you with this. But it wasn't me (and neither you) to say that "someone tend to deny to have received the package" or best "someone denies to have signed the parcel" (!!!).
3. The Foundation does care, to say they don't is a complete and utter LIE. But what can they do about?
The foundation has chosen to distribute Zeros to certain areas (until you consider a 500% dispatch fee a valid distribution policy). This means that it does not care of other areas. It seems linear to me.
something to simply accept, as said above.
instead of complaining
Complaining? i was reporting to someone who asked what had been told on this forum regarding the issue (can i say issue?).
For sure i complained when the Zero came out and received all of the above as answer.
And yes, i received also the following
If you want a distributor in Italy (or wherever),[...], become one. Then you will find out what problems are encountered for yourself.
Luckily my work is totally different and totally far from IT and raspberries. But i don't find a nice position to answer "do it by youself" when a issue is risen.

This said, the discussion for me was over time ago, this was just to report to Zzed the position of official resellers and of foundation. End.
Thanks

MikeDunn

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:30 pm

texy wrote: A case of the Foundation being damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Agreed - that is one of my implications. While I would prefer to know about a new device beforehand, at the price the Pi is I wouldn't cry if I had bought the "old style" unit a few days / weeks earlier; instead, I'd pull up my big-boy trousers & buy a new one. ;) I understand the logic behind not telling in advance and agree with the RPF's (usual) position.
jamesh wrote:My own thoughts on the subject is that YOU REALLY DON'T REALLY NEED TO KNOW what the feature is, because you cannot buy a Zero anyway right now. It's a small change, requested by many. It's really not worth all this whining!
Very likely ! I dread to think of the reactions when it is known & doesn't meet various unrealistic expectations !
As I mentioned, if a few days had elapsed between the teaser & the disclosure, yes it would be "a bit of fun". But the perceived date of disclosure has come & gone with no info; and now there's mention of it being another week or more ... I don't think that the rest of Eben's post has caused any angst; just this bit. Giving us information is great :D but sadly, all this other part has done is annoy people & prove there are no winners in this kind of teaser ... :(

Mike

Return to “General discussion”