audiojunkie

pi parts

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Afternoon all

I got my pi3 model b today, and this 5MP OV5647 Raspberry Pi 3 Camera Night Vision Camera Module with it. ive not got the microSD setup yet. thing is i was pulling the camera model white lever up carefully. as its very fiddly, and 1 side snapped. has a look for spare spares via where i bought it. no luck.. im not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.. Have been googling spare parts, no avail on those pieces. Thankyou :) "first time pi user"
Who doesn't love Pi

liudr

Re: pi parts

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Replacing the socket is a pretty difficult task even with the right tools. Provide some photos so we can see how bad it is.
Arduino data loggers, user interface, printed circuit board designer since 2009, RPI 3B 2B 2B Zero Jessie, assembly/C/C++/java/python programmer since the 80's

audiojunkie

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:29 am

Thankyou luidr for getting back on this. enclosing a photo. sorry for the quality. forgot to say before it's just the white part thats damaged.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (40.43 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Who doesn't love Pi

gregeric

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:43 am

It should still be usable - that white part is just a wedge to squash the flat cable against the metal pins inside the socket. Just make sure there aren't any broken off bits inside the socket, then go ahead and fit the camera cable, finally pushing the white part back in place.

audiojunkie

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:59 pm

I'll give that a try thankyou. just wondered if it'd be strong enough, as its my 1st pi.. intending on getting another in the future for project ideas. worst comes to it. may glue it with silicia or something. so it can be gently heated off without board damage.
Who doesn't love Pi

audiojunkie

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:34 pm

Tried removing the other clip carefully. but being not er good with fiddly bits, i couldnt remove it. did however try to push the cable in with the half bracket, but it pops out. a better bracket design would be better on this, as its the only design fault i see. a lever clip or screw in system may work.
Who doesn't love Pi

audiojunkie

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:27 pm

After a long struggle. managed to remove the other clip, and went to slot the ribbon cable, but it just pops ut.. 'can't win' ha ha was hoping to use the thing sometime this year. looks like i'll have to find a glue gun. Thankyou to all who have helped.
Who doesn't love Pi

stubright

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:15 pm

audiojunkie wrote:After a long struggle. managed to remove the other clip, and went to slot the ribbon cable, but it just pops ut.. 'can't win' ha ha was hoping to use the thing sometime this year. looks like i'll have to find a glue gun. Thankyou to all who have helped.
Hi,
If the cable keeps popping out then you're not pushing it in far enough in the first place. You have to ensure the cable is sitting flat at the bottom of the connector before pushing the clip down. It can be quite fiddly to do, just be patient and keep trying.

Here's a link to someone fixing a similar connector on a laptop.
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/fix-brok ... therboard/
They mention you can thicken the ribbon with some insulating tape to make it grip in the slot.
Stu

audiojunkie

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:08 am

Thought id pushed it in far enough, will keep trying though.. thankyou.. also i'll check out the link.
Who doesn't love Pi

Return to “General discussion”