geffers

Boot to USB - Painfully slow

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Folks,

Experimenting with a quad R-Pi 2 to try booting a system from a USB pen drive. I used a Philips USB 3 64GB pen drive.

I was guided by but did not follow exactly the excellent Sam Hobbs article at http://tinyurl.com/kfllzxr

Used dd to copy partition 2 from a working Ubuntu Mate system onto the Philips USB

Then used a working Raspian SD card and altered the root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 line in the cmdline.txt file in the boot partition to reflect the partition in my Philips USB drive.

I left the Raspian partition intact (Did not delete) so that I was able to confirm booting the Ubuntu Mate from a working Raspian card merely by altering the root=/dev/sda1 instruction.

Time came to try; booted very fast, up came my Ubuntu Mate desktop quickly but from then on everything painfully slow, unusable in fact. Mouse still working fine with no jerkyness but desktop functions too slow to be of any use.

So, it looks like I am almost there but something is amiss.

Any clues or comments appreciated.

Geffers

W. H. Heydt

Re: Boot to USB - Painfully slow

Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:27 pm

Remember that all external traffic, network, mouse, keyboard and filesystem, is going over the same USB *2* connection to the SoC. My testing with a Lexar 32GB USB 3.0 stick gave read speeds on a Pi3B of about 36MB/s.

geffers

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:28 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Remember that all external traffic, network, mouse, keyboard and filesystem, is going over the same USB *2* connection to the SoC. My testing with a Lexar 32GB USB 3.0 stick gave read speeds on a Pi3B of about 36MB/s.
Thanks for quick suggestion.

Looks like you were right, disconnected my usb hub which had the keyboard and mouse attached, connected by ssh, ran vnc server then connected via VNC - all seems to be OK now.

A lot or articles suggest a performance increase by running OS from a USB storage but understand what you say about the USB devices possible effect on performance.

I am only using two of the four USB ports from the Pi, the Philips USB3 memory stick directly in to one and a passive hub into another with keyboard and mouse into the hub.

Geffers
Last edited by geffers on Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stderr

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:24 pm

geffers wrote:Time came to try; booted very fast, up came my Ubuntu Mate desktop quickly
Your subject line is the following: "Re: Boot to USB - Painfully slow". So was the boot slow or was it fast?
but from then on everything painfully slow, unusable in fact. Mouse still working fine with no jerkyness but desktop functions too slow to be of any use.
How does it work with lxde? What is the memory and programs running situation when you look at htop?

PMI

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:58 pm

I ran Mate 15.04 from a USB flash drive for a while. Using similar setup directions, on a Pi2B, using the Mate SD card with a modified cmdline.txt, a 16Gb flash drive with expanded root partition.

I would not not describe it as painfully slow. Can you give some examples? Do you mean it was slower than running from the SD card? What specific desktop function was slow?

My dropdown menus worked fine, terminal was fine, office worked ok (not as fast as on a PC), browsing the web was ok (images loaded a bit slowly)...

I have been told Mate 16.04 fixed some small issues, but have not tried it.

Flagbit

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:08 am

Boot in 30 sec. (pi3 screen, sd-card noobs, usb-stick ubuntu-mate screen)
Boot 26 sec. with only fast sd-card. ( http://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff- ... crosd-card )

Faster response in Ubuntu-Mate with USB3.0 stick.

For me quite snappy when overclocked+force turbo.
-- My 2 Cents, Coin Heatsink: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=141441
-- Snappy Pi 3: Coin Heatsink, 1300Mhz Overclocked stable (could void warranty), Ubuntu-Mate on USB-stick

Return to “General discussion”