ric96

Cooling the Pi3 with a fan.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:51 am

I did some more experiment on cooling the Pi3.
This time it was with the heatsink and a tiny 5v 0.6w fan.
This time around, instead of synthetically stressing the cpu with "stress" I used tangram-es source code for a more real use approach.
The test consisted of compilation of the source using all 4 cores and timing how much time it took to reach 81c and start thermal throttling as well as time it took to compile with and without a fan.

With just the heatsink it took 5 min to thermal throttle and around 12 min to compile.

With the fan and a heatsink the temps were below 60c throughout and it took 11min to compile.

Although the time difference is not much, it does mean that without the fan pi3 runs at over 80c for more than 5 min. So Even if performance benefits isn't much at least the pi won't be over heating.

But just a heatsink is more than enough for low to medium work load.

Video: https://youtu.be/tnS45UE_F4o
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Cooling the Pi3 with a fan.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:10 am

ric96 wrote:With just the heatsink it took 5 min to thermal throttle and around 12 min to compile.

With the fan and a heatsink the temps were below 60c throughout and it took 11min to compile.
Excellent work, Ric. I am using the Black Ice Zebra case with my 3B (if you have not seen it, its awesome, really)... but the problem is mounting the fan so that the aesthetics of the case are not ruined. I've decided to try larger 'little rubber feet' on the botton to lift the case up another couple of mm, and then mounting the fan under the opening for the memory chip allowing the case to vent out through the top opening for the GPIO. I'm going to try it if the tiny fan is not too noisy.

Thanks for the update. Other folks are noticing the same situation... even with just heatsinks if the PI 3B is stressed it will still throttle (as well as degrade the life of the Broadcom chip also, I suspect)
marcus
:ugeek:

ejolson

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:46 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:Thanks for the update. Other folks are noticing the same situation... even with just heatsinks if the PI 3B is stressed it will still throttle (as well as degrade the life of the Broadcom chip also, I suspect)
I suspect the compile speed is largely constrained by how fast the sdcard is. When the Pi 3 first came out this thread on wrong computational results generated discussion on cooling and a recommendation to over-volt the CPU even when running at stock frequencies. People stopped posting to that thread, but it was never clear to me whether because the problem was solved or lack of interest. Now that people are more familiar with the cooling requirements of the Pi 3, I think it would be interesting to run the linpack test from that thread on some additional Pi 3 computers.

ric96

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:52 am

ejolson wrote:
MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:Thanks for the update. Other folks are noticing the same situation... even with just heatsinks if the PI 3B is stressed it will still throttle (as well as degrade the life of the Broadcom chip also, I suspect)
I suspect the compile speed is largely constrained by how fast the sdcard is. When the Pi 3 first came out this thread on wrong computational results generated discussion on cooling and a recommendation to over-volt the CPU even when running at stock frequencies. People stopped posting to that thread, but it was never clear to me whether because the problem was solved or lack of interest. Now that people are more familiar with the cooling requirements of the Pi 3, I think it would be interesting to run the linpack test from that thread on some additional Pi 3 computers.
Its okay to use for performance benchmark as the both the tests were done on the same setup and the sdcard speed is not affected by the thermal throttling of the cpu.
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996

Rive

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:50 am

Someone already did the pi3 fan test back in March or so.

Even something as simple as watching YouTube videos and running omxplayer is enough to overheat a non-fan equipped pi3 and throttle it.

You should try the stress test with something a bit heavier - like cpuburn-a53.

A user (with fan setup) on an overclocked pi3 and sdcard managed to keep it stable at 82°C/83°C with minimal throttling, and below the 85°C threshold.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=138840
Last edited by Rive on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNPNWO

ric96

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:58 am

Rive wrote:You should try the stress test with something a bit heavier - like cpuburn-a53.

A user (with fan setup) on an overclocked pi3 and sdcard managed to keep it stable at 82°C/83°C with minimal throttling, and below the 85°C threshold.

Again, its a synthetic test and loads the cpu unrealistically.
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996

Rive

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:03 am

ric96 wrote:
Rive wrote:You should try the stress test with something a bit heavier - like cpuburn-a53.

Again, its a synthetic test and loads the cpu unrealistically.
It runs NEON code.
The point is, if you can stress it thusly, and keep it below 85°C or so, then there is nothing that will overheat it-even with heavy use (like video editing/ multiple streaming , games, or NEON based programs).

Unless your program checks for computational errors with something like linpack_benchmark, (sysbench and stress do not), then it's a 'synthetic test', and isn't a good "real use" test any ways, and then its all about keeping below the overheat threshold.

In the end, the way I see it, is it all comes down to cooling regardless if the method used to potentially overheat the pi3 is real computation checking for errors, or 'synthetic'.
Last edited by Rive on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
DNPNWO

Flagbit

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:10 am

Thank you ric69 for posting your results.

My experience is quite similar to yours.
Only for me cares the snappiness of my Pi3 as Office Computer more.
10% more time for longer compiling seems to me quite ok.

Flagbit
-- My 2 Cents, Coin Heatsink: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=141441
-- Snappy Pi 3: Coin Heatsink, 1300Mhz Overclocked stable (could void warranty), Ubuntu-Mate on USB-stick

gkreidl

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:38 am

Rive wrote: ...
Even something as simple as watching YouTube videos and running omxplayer is enough to overheat a non-fan equipped pi3 and throttle it.
This is nonsense. Even playing youtube videos inside the browser using software codecs only (possible in kweb and chromium) won't use more than 190 -250% CPU and that will not start throttling even without cooling.
omxplayer uses on 10-20 of one core, so that will never lead to throttling (the CPU even may stay at 600 MHz).

A heat sink is highly recommended. With a small heat sink and good airflow (no fan needed) applications that use all 4 cores at 100% don't throttle any more (tested HandBrake video converter or compiling large packages using all 4 cores).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Rive

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:50 am

gkreidl wrote:
This is nonsense. Even playing youtube videos inside the browser using software codecs only (possible in kweb and chromium) won't use more than 190 -250% CPU and that will not start throttling even without cooling.
omxplayer uses on 10-20 of one core, so that will never lead to throttling (the CPU even may stay at 600 MHz

And that is were you would be wrong.

The CPU does not stay at 600 MHz ( you are just guessing aren't you?).

There is a video where omxplayer and YouTube were run at same time on pi3 in official case (with top and side removed), and temps exceeded 80°C and throttled. CPU usage was only around 50% CPU (or 200% quad core CPU depending on how you want to look at it).

Then fan was turned on, and temps were brought back down to below throttling temps..

Here is the YouTube video illustrating the omxplayer/youtube overheat (9:00):
https://youtu.be/CBLOIvGPJN0
Last edited by Rive on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DNPNWO

startrek.steve

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:15 pm

My Pi3 running raspbian seems to get hot very easily, hitting 58C just using Chromium browser, however, when I tried setting up an installation of Openelec for the bedroom, when running that on the Pi3, it was hardly touching 50C when playing 1080p videos?
Openelec seems a much more efficient os regarding cpu usage. Wonder why?

Steve
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

gkreidl

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Rive wrote:
gkreidl wrote:
omxplayer uses on 10-20 of one core, so that will never lead to throttling (the CPU even may stay at 600 MB

And that is were you would be wrong.

There is a video where omxplayer and YouTube were run at same time on pi3 in official case, and temps exceeded 80°C and throttled. CPU usage was only around 50% CPU(or 200% quad core CPU total ) also.

Then fan was turned on, and temps were brought back down to around 32°C.

Here is the YouTube video showing it (9:00):
https://youtu.be/CBLOIvGPJN0
That's the problem of closed plastic boxes which prevent airflow. My RPi3 is not in a box, has a small heat sink from the PiHut and doesn't throttle any more even if it reach 400% CPU (for longer times, tested up to 40 minutes)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

ric96

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:27 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Rive wrote:
gkreidl wrote: Even something as simple as watching YouTube videos and running omxplayer is enough to overheat a non-fan equipped pi3 and throttle it.
omxplayer uses on 10-20 of one core, so that will never lead to throttling (the CPU even may stay at 600 MB
That's the problem of closed plastic boxes which prevent airflow. My RPi3 is not in a box, has a small heat sink from the PiHut and doesn't throttle any more even if it reach 400% CPU (for longer times, tested up to 40 minutes)
Your room temp?
Last edited by ric96 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996

Rive

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:33 pm

Testing the pi3 without a case skews the thermal results (considering most users will have it in an enclosed protective case (and more often than not, in the official case)).
Last edited by Rive on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DNPNWO

gkreidl

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Rive wrote:Testing the pi3 without a case skews the thermal results (considering most users will have it in an enclosed protective case (and more often than not, in the official case)).
It doesn't skew anything, it just shows that you need a good airflow which most cases don't have. Boxes which are not completely closed or which allow to take the lid off or let you open it provide much better airflow. I definitely don't want a noisy fan on any of my RPis.

Rive

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:30 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Rive wrote:Testing the pi3 without a case skews the thermal results (considering most users will have it in an enclosed protective case (and more often than not, in the official case)).
It doesn't skew anything, it just shows that you need a good airflow which most cases don't have. Boxes which are not completely closed or which allow to take the lid off or let you open it provide much better airflow. I definitely don't want a noisy fan on any of my RPis.

Even with cases that allow you to take off the top and sides (e.g., official pi3 case), thus providing adequate airflow, the pi3 will still overheat as evidenced in the YouTube video simply just watching YouTube and omxplayer (which puts less than a total quad core CPU load of 50% on it).

A fan is a necessity to move the heat off the SoC.

Most will use their pi's in a protective case, so thermal testing a pi3 with no enclosure, skews the results as they will always be much lower with no enclosure (which is not how most pi3's will be used).

I'd like you see one of you with the pi3 stock @ 1200 MHz (or even overclocked at a higher arm freq ), without a case, no fan, and with just a heat sink show the temps and freq in a video while running the synthetic CPUBurn-a53 for a non-stop/continuous duration of 15 min without hitting 85°C.

I give you 5 min tops, before you hit the ceiling, slow to a crawl, and revert to 600MHz (Hell, you probably couldn't even manage to do it with 'Stress' (which is a lightweight contender compared to cpuburn)).

C'mon, show me how wrong I am. I am waiting.

I can do it with the pi3 arm, core, sdram, and sdcard all overclocked. I can run cpuburn-a53 continuously nonstop, and stay under 85°C while in a case, and with just a fan, and still use the pi3 for normal operations (whilst keeping the arm freq @ around 1 GHz or higher).

The way I look at it, solely from a thermal perspective, there is nothing I can do in the real world with the pi3 in the average day to day use (other than perhaps gaming), that will ever heat it up/stress it like the NEON cpuburn-a53 will. If I can prevent cpuburn from exceeding the 85°C threshold, then I am good to go.

An SoC heatsink on an encased pi3, even one with adequate passive airflow, by itself is worthless IMO. 50% - 70% of all pi3 users are using a ventilated case. Passive cooling is insufficient to move the heat off the heatsink/SoC, and it just delays the inevitable for a few min.

(and I haven't a clue why users are installing heatsinks on the USB/Ethernet chip... what's the point?)
Last edited by Rive on Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNPNWO

jahboater

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:47 pm

I hate fans.

My day to day Pi3 is outside of a case, held vertically, with the heatsink fins also aligned vertically which I believe to be the best position for convection cooling.
These are the best heatsinks I could find at 25C/W:-

http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/acc ... -kit-black

cpubench does cause it to throttle back, but normal software builds and other day to day stuff does not.
I did stick the little one on the ethernet/usb chip since it was supplied free. That little chip does have to drive a signal along up to 100m of cable and all the usb stuff.
I also stuck a heatsink on the ram chip as I found it helped with overclocking the memory. Also the memory temp is measured twice per second and the refresh rate adjusted.

Blowing a fan over it dropped the temps dramatically and enables cpubench to run without throttling. But thankfully a fan is not needed for anything I would do normally.
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."
- Greta Thunberg

gkreidl

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:53 pm

I don't have to publish a youtube video to prove anything. I'm stressing my RPi3 a lot, compiling large packages with the -j4 option or converting videos using HandBrake. These are multi-threaded real world applications with a CPU always between 390 and 400%, running for quite some time. I've been watching temperature and frequency through a SSH shell all the time and the temperature stays just below 80 C and the freq. stays a 1200 MHz. If I would put it into a closed box, that wouldn't work, of course.

BTW, throttling occurs in small steps. The freq. does not drop to 600 MHz in just one step, which you don't seem to know.
Before I added the heat sink, running HandBrake throttled down to values between 900 and 950 MHz, after adding the heat sink to about 1100 MHz and after installing the latest upgrades, it stays at 1200 MHz.
Typical examples like you mentioned (running a youtube video inside chromium-browser and omxplayer additionally, which is rather useless) are far from reaching throttling temp.
If you don't believe me, that's your problem, not mine.

ric96

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:14 pm

gkreidl wrote:I don't have to publish a youtube video to prove anything. I'm stressing my RPi3 a lot, compiling large packages with the -j4 option or converting videos using HandBrake. These are multi-threaded real world applications with a CPU always between 390 and 400%, running for quite some time. I've been watching temperature and frequency through a SSH shell all the time and the temperature stays just below 80 C and the freq. stays a 1200 MHz. If I would put it into a closed box, that wouldn't work, of course.

BTW, throttling occurs in small steps. The freq. does not drop to 600 MHz in just one step, which you don't seem to know.
Before I added the heat sink, running HandBrake throttled down to values between 900 and 950 MHz, after adding the heat sink to about 1100 MHz and after installing the latest upgrades, it stays at 1200 MHz.
Typical examples like you mentioned (running a youtube video inside chromium-browser and omxplayer additionally, which is rather useless) are far from reaching throttling temp.
Either your room is at below 20c and/or you are useing a huge heatsink because your findings are contradicting everyone elses.
I do have an intel Atom board that will not go beyond 60c in any case BUT it has a heatsink 6 time larger than that of a pi3.
So for us to believe you we will be needing some proof, if not in video then just pics would be great.
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996

Rive

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:21 pm

I just added a $1 copper heatsink that i got from China on ebay (I of course removed the existing thermal adhesive/pad as it is junk, and replaced it).

Thermal testing pi3, in official pi3 case, with fan on GPIO 4 and 6 pins (and small $1 copper heatsink with thermal compound on SoC)

Ambient Temp (67F/20C):

Heatsink:

Idle 29.5C

Code: Select all

Every 2.0s: (vcgencmd measure_temp; vcgencmd measur...  Fri Apr  8 11:57:16 2016

temp=29.5'C
frequency(45)=600000000
Stress (15 min test) 51C/52C

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ while true; do vcgencmd measure_clock arm; vcgencmd measure_temp; sleep 10; done& stress --cpu 4
[1] 1033
stress: info: [1034] dispatching hogs: 4 cpu, 0 io, 0 vm, 0 hdd
frequency(45)=1300136000
temp=31.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=37.6'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=40.8'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=42.9'C
frequency(45)=1300002000
temp=45.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=46.2'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=47.8'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=48.3'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=48.3'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=49.4'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=49.4'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=49.9'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=50.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=49.9'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=50.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=50.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.0'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.0'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=50.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.0'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=50.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1299998000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300002000
temp=51.0'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.0'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=50.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.0'C
frequency(45)=1299998000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=52.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1299998000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.0'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=52.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=52.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1299998000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1299998000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=52.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=52.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=52.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=52.1'C
frequency(45)=1300002000
temp=52.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=52.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=52.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=50.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=50.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=50.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.0'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=51.5'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=52.1'C

top - 11:52:50 up 17 min,  1 user,  load average: 4.00, 3.88, 2.65
Tasks: 139 total,   5 running, 134 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu0  : 99.0 us,  0.3 sy,  0.0 ni,  0.0 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.7 si,  0.0 st
%Cpu1  :100.0 us,  0.0 sy,  0.0 ni,  0.0 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
%Cpu2  : 98.0 us,  2.0 sy,  0.0 ni,  0.0 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
%Cpu3  : 99.0 us,  1.0 sy,  0.0 ni,  0.0 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:    753132 total,   507784 used,   245348 free,    32928 buffers
KiB Swap:   102396 total,        0 used,   102396 free.   353336 cached Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND     
 1036 pi        20   0    2188     92     16 R 100.0  0.0  16:20.63 stress      
 1037 pi        20   0    2188     92     16 R  99.7  0.0  16:17.27 stress      
 1038 pi        20   0    2188     92     16 R  96.7  0.0  16:10.60 stress      
 1039 pi        20   0    2188     92     16 R  96.7  0.0  16:13.25 stress      
  637 root      20   0  183940  49328  26804 S   2.3  6.5   0:08.26 Xorg        
 1021 pi        20   0   46896  18972  16248 S   1.0  2.5   0:03.44 lxterminal  
  493 nobody    20   0    2292   1436   1316 S   0.7  0.2   0:00.17 thd         
 1519 pi        20   0   36476  18572  16340 S   0.7  2.5   0:01.02 leafpad     
  230 root      -2   0       0      0      0 S   0.3  0.0   0:00.07 ksdioirqd/+ 
  863 pi        20   0   21012  12112   9524 S   0.3  1.6   0:01.19 openbox     
  869 pi        20   0  151700  28400  24684 S   0.3  3.8   0:02.92 pcmanfm     
 1033 pi        20   0    6240   3016   1628 S   0.3  0.4   0:00.17 bash        
 1104 pi        20   0    5112   2464   2092 R   0.3  0.3   0:03.17 top         
    1 root      20   0   23908   3944   2680 S   0.0  0.5   0:06.76 systemd     
cpuburn-a53 (15 min test) 79C/80C

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ssvb/cpuburn-arm/master/cpuburn-a53.S
--2016-04-08 12:05:02--  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ssvb/cpuburn-arm/master/cpuburn-a53.S
Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 23.235.39.133
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|23.235.39.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 5129 (5.0K) [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘cpuburn-a53.S’

cpuburn-a53.S       100%[=====================>]   5.01K  --.-KB/s   in 0s     

2016-04-08 12:05:03 (48.8 MB/s) - ‘cpuburn-a53.S’ saved [5129/5129]

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gcc -o cpuburn-a53 cpuburn-a53.S
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ while true; do vcgencmd measure_clock arm; vcgencmd measure_temp; sleep 10; done& ./cpuburn-a53
[1] 1150
frequency(45)=1300136000
temp=32.7'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=49.4'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=56.4'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=62.3'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=66.6'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=70.4'C
frequency(45)=1299998000
temp=74.1'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=75.8'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=77.4'C
frequency(45)=1300000000
temp=79.5'C
frequency(45)=1199998000
temp=79.5'C
frequency(45)=1200000000
temp=79.5'C
frequency(45)=1197000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1198000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1189000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1197000000
temp=79.5'C
frequency(45)=1200000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1184000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1180000000
temp=81.7'C
frequency(45)=1188000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=78.4'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=77.4'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=76.3'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=77.4'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=77.9'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=76.8'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=77.4'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=77.4'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=78.4'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=79.5'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=79.5'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1199998000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1172000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1172000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1166000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1165000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1170000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1185000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1173002000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1168000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1175000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1180000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1166000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1183000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1181000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1167002000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1164000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1171000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1172000000
temp=79.5'C
frequency(45)=1158000000
temp=79.5'C
frequency(45)=1175000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1174000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1182000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1175000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1171000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1177998000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1176000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1195000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1176000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1186000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1169000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1178000000
temp=79.5'C
frequency(45)=1156000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1179002000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1182000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1160000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1187000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1181000000
temp=79.5'C
frequency(45)=1179998000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1172000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1170000000
temp=80.1'C
frequency(45)=1159000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1194000000
temp=80.6'C
frequency(45)=1168000000
temp=80.6'C

top - 12:18:35 up 15 min,  1 user,  load average: 4.13, 4.00, 2.52
Tasks: 146 total,   5 running, 141 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu0  : 99.0 us,  1.0 sy,  0.0 ni,  0.0 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
%Cpu1  :100.0 us,  0.0 sy,  0.0 ni,  0.0 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
%Cpu2  :100.0 us,  0.0 sy,  0.0 ni,  0.0 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
%Cpu3  :100.0 us,  0.0 sy,  0.0 ni,  0.0 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st
KiB Mem:    753132 total,   685268 used,    67864 free,    20344 buffers
KiB Swap:   102396 total,       20 used,   102376 free.   406088 cached Mem

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND     
 1151 pi        20   0    1680    340    284 R 100.0  0.0  12:30.67 cpuburn-a53 
 1154 pi        20   0    1680     84     16 R 100.0  0.0  12:35.14 cpuburn-a53 
 1155 pi        20   0    1680     88     16 R 100.0  0.0  12:27.06 cpuburn-a53 
 1153 pi        20   0    1680     84     16 R  92.7  0.0  12:28.14 cpuburn-a53 
  657 root      20   0  185028  50368  26504 S   2.6  6.7   0:17.16 Xorg        
 1114 pi        20   0   46884  18892  16156 S   1.7  2.5   0:02.86 lxterminal  
  888 pi        20   0   99320  22936  19352 S   1.0  3.0   0:08.30 lxpanel     
 1149 pi        20   0    5112   2516   2136 R   0.7  0.3   0:03.25 top         
  515 nobody    20   0    2292   1460   1340 S   0.3  0.2   0:00.65 thd         
  889 pi        20   0  152364  29236  24760 S   0.3  3.9   0:06.21 pcmanfm     
 1065 pi        20   0  370352 105148  74772 S   0.3 14.0   0:13.36 chromium-b+ 
 1440 pi        20   0   36468  18616  16352 S   0.3  2.5   0:05.78 leafpad     
    1 root      20   0   23996   4008   2724 S   0.0  0.5   0:06.85 systemd     
    2 root      20   0       0      0      0 S   0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kthreadd    
Last edited by Rive on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 12 times in total.
DNPNWO

Rive

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:22 pm

deleted
Last edited by Rive on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNPNWO

gkreidl

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:52 pm

ric96 wrote:
Either your room is at below 20c and/or you are useing a huge heatsink because your findings are contradicting everyone elses.
I do have an intel Atom board that will not go beyond 60c in any case BUT it has a heatsink 6 time larger than that of a pi3.
So for us to believe you we will be needing some proof, if not in video then just pics would be great.
Ambient temperature is between 21 and 22 C.
My heat sink is this one: https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... i-heatsink

If I run the next video conversion I'll run a protocol on SSH, but that may take a few days (currently busy with other stuff).
I don't doubt, that I may get the CDU to throttling with some of the synthetic benchmarks , but I'm more interested in real world applications using all four cores. The heat problem may be greatest, if the NEON units are used a lot, and so HandBrake is a good example.

Rive

Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:31 pm

gkreidl wrote: Typical examples like you mentioned (running a youtube video inside chromium-browser and omxplayer additionally, which is rather useless) are far from reaching throttling temp.
Regardless, the posted video seems to indicate otherwise (in regards to throttling temps being reached with just a pi3 in an open case with youtube in chromium, and omxplayer).

Throttling began as temps exceeded the 80C threshold.
DNPNWO

MarkHaysHarris777

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:36 pm

ric96 wrote:
gkreidl wrote:I'm stressing my RPi3 a lot, compiling large packages with the -j4 option or converting videos using HandBrake. These are multi-threaded real world applications with a CPU always between 390 and 400%, running for quite some time. I've been watching temperature and frequency through a SSH shell all the time and the temperature stays just below 80 C and the freq. stays a 1200 MHz. If I would put it into a closed box, that wouldn't work, of course.
... because your findings are contradicting everyone elses.
I agree. But, to be fair, what I'm noticing is that there is a wide variation in results depending on your board. The engineers pushed this board just a tad far... and the result is that slight manufacturing differences (chip variations) what-have-you means that the results are varying somewhat between users test suites.

The thing I finding unreasonable in this discussion is an uncased board as a test unit. Seriously, who is going to want their PI running open on the desktop without a case for very long? Sure, I've done it, but that is not normal; eventually people are going to want to case their PI, so whether it gets hot and throttles under certain conditions must include the idea that it will be cased for those tests. The fact is that the board does run hot, needs good heatsinks, and if loaded down (in a case) probably needs a fan too. [at this point, I'm planning one]

:geek:
marcus
:ugeek:

Rive

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:22 pm

"Proof" to put your mind at ease....

$1 copper heat sink (eBay):
(the original crap thermal adhesive removed/replaced)

Ambient 66F/67F (19C/20C)
$4 fan (micro center) powered from GPIO pins 4/6 attached to case top with Velcro:

Video click to play online:
(idle 28C temp/freq; stress 50C/51C temp/freq; cpuburn-a53 79C/80C temp/freq):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2X5T2 ... sp=sharing

Note: pi3 is overclocked as shown:
dtparam=sd_overclock=100
arm_freq=1300
core_freq=500
over_voltage=4
sdram_freq=575
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
over_voltage_sdram_p=6
over_voltage_sdram_i=4
over_voltage_sdram_c=4
v3d_freq=500
h264_freq=333
gpu_mem=256
Last edited by Rive on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 30 times in total.
DNPNWO

Return to “General discussion”