mc007ibi

What happened to the RPI Project, price now always high ?

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi,
to my surprise I figured that Raspberry-PI -3 is now pretty expensive (60-120e for some kits and 50e min price). I understand that it is because it's just got on the market and I guess it will become a little cheaper but still, this doesn't look good to me, especially with built-in bluetooth and wifi, I am also wondering it becomes now more a gadget for multimedia users instead of what the originating motivations of the PI founders had in mind.

However, this new price dimensions have of course nothing to do anymore with the 'affordable' 20$ board and I am wondering its better to find a cheaper platform for our projects (education, also in 3th world countries).

Now, I am really speechless and the final question is to me, "Does the RPI becomes an expensive & bloated gadget"?

Now does it?

sorry being a little harsh but as fan and user, please understand the disappointment too. I understand of course, we could stick only to PI-2 but its still questionable that it remains the goals of the RPI foundation to actually serve a affordable platform to everyone....

thanks

Douglas6

Re: What happened to the RPI Project, price now always high

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:22 pm

The MSRP of the Pi3 ($35) is the same as the original Pi, so no price increase. And the Pi Zero is priced at $5, so I don't see any price bloat at all (and WiFi and Bluetooth certainly have educational uses as well).

Heater

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:24 pm

What are you talking about?

For example:

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b 30 pounds (37 Euro)

Even here in Helsinki from a walk in store I have never paid as much as 60 Euros.

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:27 pm

Look for another supplier. My RPi3 complete with power supply cost £33 + VAT (€41 + VAT).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:27 pm

mc007ibi wrote:Hi,
to my surprise I figured that Raspberry-PI -3 is now pretty expensive (60-120e for some kits and 50e min price). I understand that it is because it's just got on the market and I guess it will become a little cheaper but still, this doesn't look good to me, especially with built-in bluetooth and wifi, I am also wondering it becomes now more a gadget for multimedia users instead of what the originating motivations of the PI founders had in mind.

However, this new price dimensions have of course nothing to do anymore with the 'affordable' 20$ board and I am wondering its better to find a cheaper platform for our projects (education, also in 3th world countries).

Now, I am really speechless and the final question is to me, "Does the RPI becomes an expensive & bloated gadget"?

Now does it?

sorry being a little harsh but as fan and user, please understand the disappointment too. I understand of course, we could stick only to PI-2 but its still questionable that it remains the goals of the RPI foundation to actually serve a affordable platform to everyone....

thanks
What have you been smoking this Easter ?? can I have some ??

$35.00 in February 2012 and $35.00 in 2016 so no price increase..

The RPi 3B has better CPU, more memory as well as BT & WiFi..

So a totally pointless waste of forum space :roll: :roll:
Retired disgracefully.....

buja

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:28 pm

That the Pi 3 is more expensive than any other Pi is not hard to understand, given the built-in WiFi and Bluetooth, and faster processor. Such features cost money to develop and manufacture.
If this is all worth the time and money the RPF spends is in itself a valid question, but I think the market (that's us!) is giving the answer.
But the RPF did not forget the fans of a very cheap computer: the Pi Zero, price just a couple of euros. Of course it's almost impossible to get hold of a Zero because the Pi 3 takes up most of the manufacturing capacity. Maybe that could have been planned better, but things will improve.

Heater

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:36 pm

buja,
That the Pi 3 is more expensive than any other Pi is not hard to understand, given ...
Actually it's very hard to understand what you are saying. Given that the Pi 3 sells for the same price as the Pi 2 before it.

stderr

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:38 pm

mc007ibi wrote:Hi,
to my surprise I figured that Raspberry-PI -3 is now pretty expensive (60-120e for some kits and 50e min price).
However, this new price dimensions have of course nothing to do anymore with the 'affordable'
sorry being a little harsh but as fan and user, please understand the disappointment too.
I'm sure that part of the problem is that the pi isn't priced in e. Not that for a second I wouldn't think that pricing the pi in e wouldn't be cool, because it would be. In fact, if i (or j for engineers) could be engineered in there somehow too, I'd be all for that.

But when pricing the pi in dollars and buying from authorised distribution, the price of the pi has not changed. This could be difficult to believe in situations where the value of the dollar has increased in relation to some other currency, a particular problem for countries that were riding high in the commodities boom but are now in a downturn.

buja

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:50 pm

Heater wrote:buja,
That the Pi 3 is more expensive than any other Pi is not hard to understand, given ...
Actually it's very hard to understand what you are saying. Given that the Pi 3 sells for the same price as the Pi 2 before it.
What's hard to understand about a 5 euro price difference? My usual supplier charges 42,95 euro for a Pi 3 and 37,95 euro for a Pi 2.

rpdom

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:52 pm

buja wrote:
Heater wrote:buja,
What's hard to understand about a 5 euro price difference? My usual supplier charges 42,95 euro for a Pi 3 and 37,95 euro for a Pi 2.
That's an issue that you need to take up with your supplier. It might be a change in the exchange rate between the Euro and the US Dollar. The Pi selling price for the main models has always been USD35. That hasn't changed.

buja

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 pm

rpdom wrote: That's an issue that you need to take up with your supplier. It might be a change in the exchange rate between the Euro and the US Dollar. The Pi selling price for the main models has always been USD35. That hasn't changed.
Exchange rates are an issue for sure, but I think marketing is a very relevant other.
I think a Pi 3 must be more expensive to manufacture than a Pi 2. Whether or not that higher costprice translates to a higher selling price is a marketing issue.

Heater

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:23 pm

buja,
Whether or not that higher costprice translates to a higher selling price is a marketing issue.
Yes, indeed.

And it's not an issue we out here need to worry about because the price has not changed over the older model.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:31 pm

buja wrote:
rpdom wrote: That's an issue that you need to take up with your supplier. It might be a change in the exchange rate between the Euro and the US Dollar. The Pi selling price for the main models has always been USD35. That hasn't changed.
Exchange rates are an issue for sure, but I think marketing is a very relevant other.
I think a Pi 3 must be more expensive to manufacture than a Pi 2. Whether or not that higher costprice translates to a higher selling price is a marketing issue.
I can give you a very official answer, since you seem to be ignoring the other posts here.

The selling price of the Pi3 is $35 plus tax and shipping. This is the same as the launch price of the Pi1, and Pi2. So the price HAS NOT CHANGED.

If your usual supplier is charging more, go somewhere else that is charging less. What they sell for is up to them, but you should be able to get a Pi3 for $35 plus tax and shipping (give or take a few cents for exchange rate changes). This is the official price as specified by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. Lots of Pi3 have been made up front so you should not have any problems getting one at close to the official price.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mc007ibi

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:10 pm

hi,
thanks for the kind replies, especially the one with smoking easter eggs, but fine. I will try that too.

Ok, ash on my head. My local suppliers (and shops) here in spain came up with 60e and ebay (de/es) is not much different. And shipping and TAX from UK will still sum up easily to 60-70e. I guess, we'll have to wait then just or find better ways.

Ok then, I didn't want to cause here a big fuss, the overall first price impressions have been just overthelming. So again, sorry!

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:24 pm

mc007ibi wrote:hi,
thanks for the kind replies, especially the one with smoking easter eggs, but fine. I will try that too.

Ok, ash on my head. My local suppliers (and shops) here in spain came up with 60e and ebay (de/es) is not much different. And shipping and TAX from UK will still sum up easily to 60-70e. I guess, we'll have to wait then just or find better ways.

Ok then, I didn't want to cause here a big fuss, the overall first price impressions have been just overthelming. So again, sorry!
Element14 Spain RPi 3B €31.98 plus taxes and shipping (approx $35.50)

http://es.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rasp ... dp/2525225

Farnell element14
Parque Empresarial Cityparc
Edificio Londres - 2º
Ctra. Hospitalet, 147-149
08940-Cornellá (Barcelona)
Spain

TEL: +34 93 475 88 05
FAX: +34 93 474 51 07
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stubright

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:29 pm

mc007ibi wrote:hi,

It would appear that RS in spain will do you a Pi 3 for 49€ inc tax and shipping
http://es.rs-online.com/web/c/semicondu ... 4294510328

Stu

Sleep Mode zZ

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:40 pm

jamesh wrote: If your usual supplier is charging more, go somewhere else that is charging less. What they sell for is up to them, but you should be able to get a Pi3 for $35 plus tax and shipping (give or take a few cents for exchange rate changes). This is the official price as specified by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. Lots of Pi3 have been made up front so you should not have any problems getting one at close to the official price.
The reseller has to take a slice for their costs also, and even something for a small profit - they are not nonprofit organizations after all. I assume that many resellers have taken the model number change as an opportunity to pump their slice of the price up a bit. This is not wrong from their part - it is the buyers job to search for the smallest price and force the resellers to keep their slice of the price as small as possible.

Edit: Seller -> reseller.

mc007ibi

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:56 pm

nice catch guys, truly nice easter eggs for a noob shopper as me!

@offtopic: btw, where is the RPI actually assembled? i guess most chips come from china.

thanks a lot! Can we post that links to a wiki somewhere? eg: suppliers spain.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:00 pm

mc007ibi wrote:nice catch guys, truly nice easter eggs for a noob shopper as me!

@offtopic: btw, where is the RPI actually assembled? i guess most chips come from china.

thanks a lot! Can we post that links to a wiki somewhere? eg: suppliers spain.
Premier Farnell (Element 14) and RS are the Official Distributors.

Koeshi

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:22 pm

mc007ibi wrote:@offtopic: btw, where is the RPI actually assembled? i guess most chips come from china.
My understanding is that most of them are manufactured in the UK, with some extra Pi3 chips being made in China in order to cope with the initial demand on release. Pretty sure my one says "made in UK" on it, can't take apart the case as I am currently using it.

rpdom

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:02 am

Koeshi wrote:
mc007ibi wrote:@offtopic: btw, where is the RPI actually assembled? i guess most chips come from china.
My understanding is that most of them are manufactured in the UK, with some extra Pi3 chips being made in China in order to cope with the initial demand on release. Pretty sure my one says "made in UK" on it, can't take apart the case as I am currently using it.
The chips come from various places (mostly China, I believe). The majority of the boards are assembled in the UK (Wales), with some for the US being assembled in China due to the high demand.

zealousd

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 am

i paid $65AU for my pi3 and i feel that is still good off ebay but cheaper is better when buying boards.
Raspberry Pi 3
Ubuntu Mate
Web Server

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:24 am

zealousd wrote:i paid $65AU for my pi3 and i feel that is still good off ebay but cheaper is better when buying boards.
65.00 AUD = 49.00 USD approx

Here in UK paid with Taxes around $46.00, RS offer free P&P:

Goods total £26.75
VAT £5.35
Grand total £32.10

So am at a loss to where the OP is buying from at over inflated prices and blaming the RPF unnecessarily, he should boycott the retailer IMO :D

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:06 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: So am at a loss to where the OP is buying from at over inflated prices and blaming the RPF unnecessarily, he should boycott the retailer IMO :D
I paid 59 euros (including shipping) for my Pi 3, fully knowing that I could get it cheaper from Pimoroni (about 46 euros, including shipping). When buying from this domestic reseller, returns and warranties are easier: The customer don't have to pay for the return shipping (the reseller has a deal with the post office). Pimoroni on the other hand:
You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.
[...]
If you are shipping an item over £50/€70/$75, you should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We don’t guarantee that we will receive your returned item.
Also, with the domestic reseller I get something like a trackable shipping service or shipping insurance for free when returning a faulty product (or even a perfectly working one within 14 days from receiving it).

In the case of delivery, actually the same applies: the 46 euros paid to Pimoroni does not include any checks that that the customer actually receives the package, the 59 euros to the domestic reseller, on the other hand, does include that.

All in all, buying from Pimoroni would had made more sense because the risks of failed delivery or faulty device are so small that I should have accepted the risks and saved 15 euros. But surely they are worth something and should be taken to account when comparing prices.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:27 am

Sleep Mode zZ wrote: I paid 59 euros (including shipping) for my Pi 3, fully knowing that I could get it cheaper from Pimoroni (about 46 euros, including shipping). When buying from this domestic reseller, returns and warranties are easier:
Read the Original Post, the OP was blaming the RPF for the high price, or rather he was ranting without getting his facts straight........

:D :D

Return to “General discussion”