TimG

Airport security

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:40 pm

Has anybody had any trouble carrying a Raspberry Pi through UK airport security in hand baggage? Just a Pi, in a transparent case, not connected to anything.

Of course the law doesn't forbid carrying electronics. I bought a Pi Zero from the Gatwick newsstand in December, though the lady at the counter thought that such things should not be allowed and said so loudly. But certain airports have thuggish security guards who don't care too much for the law and take any excuse to make passengers miserable. Liverpool, for example, is so hateful that I now go out of my way to avoid it whether I'm carrying anything or not.

Pithagoros

Re: Airport security

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:48 pm

viewtopic.php?t=13243&p=141461

It might cause some questions though, because the security staff are not properly trained.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:18 pm

TimG wrote:Has anybody had any trouble carrying a Raspberry Pi through UK airport security in hand baggage? Just a Pi, in a transparent case, not connected to anything.

Of course the law doesn't forbid carrying electronics. I bought a Pi Zero from the Gatwick newsstand in December, though the lady at the counter thought that such things should not be allowed and said so loudly. But certain airports have thuggish security guards who don't care too much for the law and take any excuse to make passengers miserable. Liverpool, for example, is so hateful that I now go out of my way to avoid it whether I'm carrying anything or not.
I fly in and out of Stansted several times a year. They are not usually overly interested in Pi. But if you are concerned, make sure you take some Pi literature with you to prove what it is. They are usually much more interested in my lipos than my Pi. But even then they're not usually bothered as long as you play by the rules.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

aelsas

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Just returned from Cambridge via Heathrow with a Zero and a Pi3 in hand luggage - no problem at all!

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:53 pm

I've had no problems at all flying Virgin Atlantic from Heathrow. I had a bareboard RPi, phone, laptop, four way socket strip, PSUs / chargers for everything, keyboard, mouse and more varied cables than you can shake a stick at. My colleague who only had an iPhone and a Macbook (and the gubbins that go with those) got the full scale pat-down.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:50 am

On several occasions I've flown with 20+ uncased/unboxed Pis--plus LEDS, sensors, leads, chargers etc-- as hand luggage. I've only ever been pulled up once because the UK Border Patrol think that the luggage of choice for gun-runners is a bright orange Pelicase :roll:

Austin09

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:23 am

The main thing security are looking out for are batteries. Ignoring the fact that Lithium-ion batteries are quite dangerous on their own, apparently it's possible to make explosive packs look like battery cells on an x-ray image.
A device without a battery shouldn't cause any problems.

Sukhbir singh badal
Last edited by Austin09 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:08 am

I've been flying in and out of UK every other month with boxes of electronics, wires everywhere and everything. Haven't had any problems in stansted or heathrow.

Heater

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:23 am

I have been through Heathrow and Standstead a few times in the last year with bags full of all kind of "suspicious looking" PCBs, cables, tools. Usually stuffed willy-nilly into whatever bag I have for hand luggage. None of this ever caused issues.

What has got me pulled aside was:

A half empty bottle of Coke. "Would you like to drink that now sir?"

Two cigarette lighters instead of just one.

A solid cylinder of marble that the X-Ray machine could not penetrate. "Do you mind if we open your bag sir?". It was a marble candle stick from the Natual History Museum.

The security guys have always been very polite and chatty with me.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

r3d4

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:46 am

TimG wrote:Has anybody had any trouble carrying a Raspberry Pi through UK airport security in hand baggage? Just a Pi, in a transparent case, not connected to anything.
Not yet! ,
... i doubt you will have any problem =P

All though i was only leaving with a modle A and B boxed unopend in main lugage ,..
i also sent a pi2-b with relatives dont know where they paked it !
Last edited by r3d4 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

LetHopeItsSnowing

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:19 am

I took a Pocket PiGRRL through Birmingham Airport. I had my hand luggage searched (not because of the Pi apparently, just because it was tightly packed), the security took some interested in my handmade games console, not for any other reason other than that she thought it was cool. So after a quick demo of sonic the hedgehog I was on my way!
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

TimG

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:47 am

Thanks everybody. Sounds like there'll be no problem.

mahla2012ir

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:51 pm

I’m going to Heathrow tomorrow and carrying Pi2Go robot which consists of a Raspberry Pi 3 and an interface for it sit on. I’m also carrying 6 Energizer batteries and an Ethernet cable. I was wondering if they might take it away from me thinking that it might be a dangerous robot or something.
Should I take it away or not?

DougieLawson

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:23 pm

I've carried a RPi through Heathrow with no problems (LHR/EGLL to EWR/KEWR on Virgin Atlantic).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Heater

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:45 pm

You would not believe the bag fulls of electronic parts, boards, wires, batteries I have got through security all over Europe and a few trips to the States.

I always expect some problem about it as it disappears into the X-Ray machine but no.

One time I was dragged off the line for an unidentifiable thing in my bag. It was a marble candle stick from the British Museum.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

beta-tester

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:22 am

years ago (5 or so), i was flying back from thailand to germany with a metal tool box in my hand luggage, with fixed installation of an ATX power supply, a 5 port network switch, 4 RPi, everything was wired up. from the outside of the metal tool box you saw a power plug, ventillation holes, 4 BNC connectors for Video output and a network connector port.
the only thing i had to do at security control gate in thailand was, to open the metal box.
the only thing, what the security man was asking then, was:
he: "is it really working?"...
me: "yes"...
he: "aha!... "ok"...
...nothing else.
even my constuction was looking a litte bit like a bomb with all the wires, stacked installation and so on.

i can't beleave that i was doing it. today i never would do this again. too big the risk to not pass the security gate.
but at that time on the way home, i hadn't enough space in my baggage anymore.

but i beleave a single RPi in a nice looking case (or even in a crappy) can still pass the security control gate without problems.
i was passing airport heathrow months ago two times with my backpack full of computerstuff, extra cables, power adapters, battery power bank.
(they did a wipe test against explosives - but that had nothing to do with the stuff i had in my backpack. they do this randomly and takes only few seconds)

PS: i am always worried or scared about losing my data of mobile phone, SSD, SD cards and USB memory sticks over the time, when they pass the X-ray over and over... :shock: :o :lol:
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

Cancelor

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:48 am

I think tools are more likely to get refused, pliers, screwdrivers etc.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

beta-tester

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:17 pm

by the way.
when i was at the airport heathrow, i missed to see a shop that is selling RPis there - i thought an Raspberry Pi is a UK product that should be sold at eack airport in UK as souvenir ... :lol:
and free of VAT
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:59 pm

You've got Currys PC World as the Airport tech retailer, they're only interested in selling electric plug adapters, tablets, cameras and expensive headphones. They don't sell small board computers.

Burngate

Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:32 pm

Cancelor wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:48 am
I think tools are more likely to get refused, pliers, screwdrivers etc.
Some years ago, had to fly Heathrow to Glasgow for the racing on one day, then return the following day.
One way, I wasn't allowed to carry my tool bag with me, it had to go in the hold.
The other way, it couldn't go in the hold, I had to carry it with me.

Return to “General discussion”