W6JHB

Pi 2 SD Card on Pi 3?

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:14 am

Sorry if this has been asked before - I looked through the recent posts, but didn't see it having been asked. I've got a 32 GB SD card running my Rpi2. Will this card work in the new Rpi3 as is? After having loaded and configured quite a few applications, having to start from scratch with a different card on the Rpi3 isn't something to look forward to. Can the existing card just be plugged into the new RPi?

Thanks, Jim
Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA
USA

stderr

Re: Pi 2 SD Card on Pi 3?

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:22 am

W6JHB wrote:Can the existing card just be plugged into the new RPi?
I don't have a pi3 but it is my understanding that if you have updated the Raspbian Jessie release to current on the pi2, you can put it into the pi3 and it will work. But like I said, I don't have one to try.

Ian B

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:29 am

Make sure you have upgraded ( sudo apt-get upgrade ) whilst the card is still in the Pi2 and it should work when you swap it into the Pi3. I've had no issues with the 8gb card I have in my work Pi3 since doing this

itsmedoofer

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:59 am

Hi,

I created a fresh install and have been happily moving it between my B, Pi2 & Pi3.

Me.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:08 am

W6JHB wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before - I looked through the recent posts, but didn't see it having been asked. I've got a 32 GB SD card running my Rpi2. Will this card work in the new Rpi3 as is? After having loaded and configured quite a few applications, having to start from scratch with a different card on the Rpi3 isn't something to look forward to. Can the existing card just be plugged into the new RPi?

Thanks, Jim
The SD Card needs to be updated, a good read is the MagPi issue 43: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/magpi-43

Though if you have installed the Operating System via NOOBS YMMV....
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

BMS Doug

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:11 am

If the old card has Raspbian Wheezy then it won't work, If it's Raspbian Jessie then Updating it should be enough to get it working.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:36 am

BMS Doug wrote:If the old card has Raspbian Wheezy then it won't work, If it's Raspbian Jessie then Updating it should be enough to get it working.
Actually Wheezy can be updated for the RPi 3B but both Wireless and Bluetooth needs to be a manual installation of drivers / firmware etcetera, but YMMV
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

W6JHB

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:12 am

Folks - thanks for the replies. I bit the bullet and decide to go with Raspian Jessie. Put it on a new SD card this morning and it appears much more user-friendly and more rich in features than Wheezy. Reinstalling my applications will only be a mild PITA.

Thanks again... :D
Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA
USA

dharasty

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:28 pm

I've updated my distribution to Jessie and was running smoothly on my Pi 2.

Moving that SD card to my Pi 3 results in the "rainbow square" on the monitor, but no apparent booting activity of any sort. This should have worked, no?

What would cause my patched-from-Wheezy-to-Jessie version to do that? Or generally what does it mean when I see the "rainbow square" but booting does not continue? I think I had the experimental OpenGL drivers loaded... could that be the cause?

I was hoping to pick up my development tasks right where I left off; alas at the moment it looks like I'm going to have to reinstall apps, my development environment and code, and re-figure out what configurations and customization I had on the Pi 2.

(The Pi 3 in question works fine with Jessie installed directly from NOOBS 1.9.2, but just not with the upgraded-to-Jessie OS that worked fine on a Pi 2.)

kimSJ

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:55 pm

The answer's simple. Wheezy won't boot on Pi 3, Jessie will.

If you want to try upgrading an SD card, try the instructions at viewtopic.php?t=121880

It will take you a long evening; so only worth it if you've got lots of stuff you don't want to just copy onto a USB stick and copy back to a new Jessie image. Instead, I'd suggest getting a new SD card and putting a fresh Jessie onto it. That way, you can always go back to the old image (on a Pi 2, of course) to get stuff you forgot about.

h2obo

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:09 am

I have been running Jessie in my pi2 and just bought a pi3 and I would like to use the same sdcard. I did the all the apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade to get everything current and was hoping to simply plug in the sdcard into the pi 3. Alas, when I boot the pi 3 with the old sdcard I get the giant rainbow square. On the pi3 there is a red LED that stays lit and the green one is flashing a cycle of 4 long flashes followed by 4 short ones. What is wrong?

Alternatively, if I put a fresh install of raspbian on a new sdcard how can I copy over all my configuration settings from the old one? I am trying to avoid doing all the work again.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:25 am

h2obo wrote:I have been running Jessie in my pi2 and just bought a pi3 and I would like to use the same sdcard. I did the all the apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade to get everything current and was hoping to simply plug in the sdcard into the pi 3. Alas, when I boot the pi 3 with the old sdcard I get the giant rainbow square. On the pi3 there is a red LED that stays lit and the green one is flashing a cycle of 4 long flashes followed by 4 short ones. What is wrong?

Alternatively, if I put a fresh install of raspbian on a new sdcard how can I copy over all my configuration settings from the old one? I am trying to avoid doing all the work again.
The RPi 3B is more power hungry, therefore what is the specification of PSU, the recommended is 5.1V 2.5A

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-in-p ... ly/9098135

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#powerReqs

h2obo

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:29 am

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that is the issue because the power supply that I am using the capable of that.

davidcoton

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:55 am

Have you read the Boot Problems Sticky?
It lists the ACT LED flash patterns there. Eight flashes is included, it tells you what is wrong but offhand I don't know the correct incantation (to run on the Pi2) to put it right.
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”