EroEdellabrina

Connecting a floppy drive to my machine.

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:57 pm

Hello, i'm working on making an NES emulator that reads games from floppy disks. I am okay with the OS, but i can't figure out how to connect a 34 pin floppy drive to the raspberry pi. If someone can help me i'll be glad, thank you.

klricks

Re: Connecting a floppy drive to my machine.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:40 am

There is no feasible way to get a floppy drive working on a RPi by direct connection. Even if you could make the electrical connection nothing would happen without extensive programming of drivers etc.

Your only option would be to get a USB floppy drive but I have no idea if there is one that will work on the RPi?
Also many years ago I tried loading some old floppies and none of them would work. The magnetic recording on the disk weakens over time making the disks unusable.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

asandford

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:04 am

EroEdellabrina wrote:Hello, i'm working on making an NES emulator that reads games from floppy disks. I am okay with the OS, but i can't figure out how to connect a 34 pin floppy drive to the raspberry pi. If someone can help me i'll be glad, thank you.
Only the even pins carry a signal, the odd pins are ground. Someone has done an Arduino floppy controller.

stubright

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:09 am

Hi,
As klricks said a USB floppy would probably be your best bet. I just tested a Dell one and I could mount it using gnome-disk-utility under Raspbian.
How easy it would be to mount in an emulator is anyone's guess, how reliable, again anyone's guess.
The floppy drive I used was a Dell fddm-101. I'm sure they'll be on fleabay.
It's an old laptop one, interchangeable with a cdrom (with a usb connector on the side).
https://ixquick-proxy.com/do/show_pictu ... 70c6d30662
Stu

hansotten

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:57 am

USB floppy drives work fine on a Raspberry, I have got a Freecom type, that just works with standard FAT formatted floppies.

What you will not get to work with USB is low level access, dumping tracks etc to overcome non-standard formatting. For those tools you will need a standard PC floppy interface, 765 IC based for example. Not available afaik for a Raspberry.

Or you could look at virtual floppy drives like the Catweasel (See a blog article on Adafruit).
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

Return to “General discussion”