blanka

Ditch the locking micro-SD slot and go for a regular one.

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:33 am

I found the micro-SD slot spring mechanism to be very flimsy. I swapped a couple of cards and now the mech is broken.
Can you claim warranty for it?
Other products I use with micro-SD like phones, camera's or card readers have a non-spring mech, that is simpler and more robust. Why not use it on a Pi as well?

Heater

Re: Ditch the locking micro-SD slot and go for a regular one

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:35 am

The Pi 3 does exactly that.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

oryxhasapi

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:35 am

remember that the pi is designed to be a low cost DIY computer :ugeek:

fruitoftheloom

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:53 am

blanka wrote:I found the micro-SD slot spring mechanism to be very flimsy. I swapped a couple of cards and now the mech is broken.
Other products I use with micro-SD like phones, camera's or card readers have a non-spring mech, that is simpler and more robust. Why not use it on a Pi as well?
Yes if the RPi is under Warranty contact the Supplier you bought it from, as stated the RPi 3B & Zero have ditched spring-mech style..
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

PeterO

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:58 am

Heater wrote:The Pi 3 does exactly that.
It's a really bad change. If you put your PI3 in a case you have to stick bits of paper or tape to the sd cards because you can't get your fingers to them to pull them out. Bring back the push/click socket I say !!
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Heater

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:42 pm

It's a really good change.

I get so annoyed with the card popping out all the time as I tweak with my Pi. I just want it to stay reliably wedged in there. I don't expect to have to be removing the SD card any more often than the HD or SSD from my PC. Or the SD in my phones for that matter. If I do then something is wrong.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

giubu

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:00 pm

PeterO wrote:Bring back the push/click socket I say !!
PeterO
I'm with Santa on this one!

(Amiga vs. Atari ST anyone? ;) )

GTR2Fan

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:06 pm

I don't like the change, but for exactly the same reasons that Heater does. :D
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Pithagoros

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:10 pm

I'm sure that cases with better access to the sd card will be along in short order.

PeterO

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Pithagoros wrote:I'm sure that cases with better access to the sd card will be along in short order.
Well the Pimoponi PI3 ones have the problem I described so I wouldn't hold your breath.

PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

blc

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:39 pm

PeterO wrote:
Pithagoros wrote:I'm sure that cases with better access to the sd card will be along in short order.
Well the Pimoponi PI3 ones have the problem I described so I wouldn't hold your breath.

PeterO
Pimoponi.

So... are you telling me that you want a pony...? :D

(sorry, I just thought that was too good a typo to miss!)

buja

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:43 pm

It's a really bad change.
It's a really good change.
User feed back in u nutshell :D
Hey product manager, make some sense out of this :!:

hippy

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Heater wrote:I don't expect to have to be removing the SD card any more often than the HD or SSD from my PC. Or the SD in my phones for that matter. If I do then something is wrong.
It depends what one is doing. If experimenting with bare metal, trying different OS's, or even running developmental and live setups, there can be quite a lot of card swapping at times.

My preference is for spring-loaded, push to eject, sockets but can appreciate (a) it's a PITA when they aren't reliable or break, and (b) it's a reasonable decision to use friction sockets for cost saving or greater reliability.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:37 pm

hippy wrote:It depends what one is doing. If experimenting with bare metal, trying different OS's, or even running developmental and live setups, there can be quite a lot of card swapping at times.
Or like I was the other day, writing an OS image that was corrupt over and over again until enlightenment dawned. Needle-nosed pliers work OK so long as you are gentle.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:02 pm

rurwin wrote:
hippy wrote:It depends what one is doing. If experimenting with bare metal, trying different OS's, or even running developmental and live setups, there can be quite a lot of card swapping at times.
Or like I was the other day, writing an OS image that was corrupt over and over again until enlightenment dawned. Needle-nosed pliers work OK so long as you are gentle.
I can see a market for a Pi themed microSD card extractor....

PeterO

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Pimoroni claim "the newly designed case exposes the lip on the microSD card so you can remove it with a fingernail!"
They've obviously not tested that with the fingers of a 50 year old with fat fingers and short nails because it doesn't work for me ! :(

PeterO

Lob0426

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:19 pm

On thingiverse there are some micro-sd card extenders for 3D printers. The printrbots have a uSD that is hard to get in and out. They work pretty well, clamp onto the card.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

spsn

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:48 pm

There are micro SD card extension cables that are not too hard to find and not very expensive either. And you can use a regular size SD card too if you wish.

Should be good for those that change cards regularly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/62cm-Micro-SD-C ... 1782617613

stderr

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:47 pm

blanka wrote:I found the micro-SD slot spring mechanism to be very flimsy. I swapped a couple of cards and now the mech is broken.
My netbook has a spring loaded sdcard reader. I think anything where the goal is to have the card itself flush with the outside of the case and have it somehow removable pretty much begs for the spring version. I suppose they could have to tie a tassel to the card and have you yank it out as needed. I don't know if that would be better.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:55 pm

One of the biggest complaints we received before Pi3 was about the push-push connector. It seems a lot of you (really, an awful lot - you should see my inbox) were accidentally ejecting your cards when handling your Pi, which meant SD card corruption. That's what was behind the change.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

W. H. Heydt

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:34 am

liz wrote:One of the biggest complaints we received before Pi3 was about the push-push connector. It seems a lot of you (really, an awful lot - you should see my inbox) were accidentally ejecting your cards when handling your Pi, which meant SD card corruption. That's what was behind the change.
Been there, done that, but without sending a PM. I have also pushed the get the card out and not caught it. There are probably a couple of them lurking about under my desk, even now. And, again, I don't send PMs about that. I figure that's my problem rather than being something to be "fixed". Now where did I put that dinosaur harness and buggy whip...?

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:27 am

Heater wrote:It's a really good change.

I get so annoyed with the card popping out all the time as I tweak with my Pi. I just want it to stay reliably wedged in there. I don't expect to have to be removing the SD card any more often than the HD or SSD from my PC. Or the SD in my phones for that matter. If I do then something is wrong.
Too true, I've shot my B+, A+ and 2B dead too many times by popping the card out (usually when I'm pulling a USB from the other end). That can't happen with my Bs, zero or 3B. Only two pis have cases (one old B with an SDCard sticking out, and my B+ which only has a case made from couple of sheets of plexiglas with stand offs).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Ian B

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:52 am

Definitely sits in "can't please all the people all of the time" territory, at work I'm regularly needing to swap SDs at the moment and the cases we're using make things really difficult without the push to eject option. At home I'm more likely to leave the SD where it is for longer so prefer to not have the accidental spring our (I have had the tweezers our for one removal mind)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:07 pm

I can see a business opportunity here.

Specially designed for the Raspberry Pi 3!

Created with young hands or older fingers in mind!

Only £4.99 + P&P!

Just so long as nobody goes here: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/100 ... g-tweezers
They might notice it only costs £0.70
(FastTech is a decent company to order from. I've never had an order go astray and there is no P&P; the price you see is what you pay, no matter how small the order. It just takes a week or four to arrive. Careat Emptor though, and don't trust the brand names.)

PeterO

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:18 pm

Pimoroni have made me a special base piece :D for "fat fingers" :lol:

Return to “General discussion”