ziddey

Re: Pi 3 Overheating Issue?

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:13 am

ejolson wrote:
Nickcn wrote:1300 MHz . never hit 80C ( CPU throttling threshold), so never throttled down. 76C is as high as it went.
It seems that you have a particularly lucky CPU in your Pi 3. Some seem to overheat and malfunction at stock frequencies so over clocking isn't possible. It would be very interesting if you could run the optimized Pi 3 Linpack solver and report how many flops you can get and whether the calculation passes the residual checks for correctness of calculation.
Nah, it's definitely throttling. When I was overclocked at 1350 and ran cpuburn, it'd throttle practically immediately, yet temps still showed in the 50's. With a heatsink and fan, it didn't throttle but locked up hard in short order. Have since found that it requires +1 to even pass linpack at stock 1.2ghz.

MarkHaysHarris777

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:43 am

For my 2 bits here, and I don´t have the time before bed to measure temps tonight, but idling my new RPI3B is very warm to the touch (fins of heat-sinks are very warm). Under load the fins of the SoC heat-sink gets hot; I´ll know how hot tomorrow.

I have heat-sinks on all of my RPI units (because they are cased, mostly) but I think we´re finally at the point with the 3B where heat-sinks are in fact necessary... at least the 3B seems to be running on the edge. I´m not at the point of installing a fan... I like the idea that there are no moving parts (going to try to keep it that way, plus I hate the noise that eventually occurs).

Cheers
marcus
:ugeek:

jahboater

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:36 am

Try running this at the same time as ./cpuburn, it updates every two seconds and you can see in colour the temp and frequency changes.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Milho ... bcmstat.sh

Nickcn

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:16 am

deleted
Last edited by Nickcn on Mon May 16, 2016 3:37 am, edited 12 times in total.

gkreidl

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:20 am

jahboater wrote:Try running this at the same time as ./cpuburn, it updates every two seconds and you can see in colour the temp and frequency changes.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Milho ... bcmstat.sh
Really nice! Will be installed on all my RPis.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

ejolson

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Nickcn wrote:Not so lucky after all. I realized my 1300 MHz CPU overclock was no good while using ./cpuburn-a53.

I was in fact voltage throttling. once I adjusted the CPU to a stable 1275 Mhz overclock, I spiked to 81C-86C and thermal throttled (84C seemed to be max temp with opened official case).
Fair enough. From the point of view collecting data about what settings work to stabilize the Pi 3 enough to achieve reliable computations using the NEON OpenBLAS library it would still be interesting if you could test the Linpack program on your setup and report the output.

Nickcn

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:26 pm

deleted
Last edited by Nickcn on Mon May 16, 2016 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

pik33

Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:51 pm

My Pi3 is hot. With a small copper heatsink added it can go over 80C and it throttles with only two cores working.

make -j4 gives the temperature about 85C and the red square on the screen

The small fan does the job cooling it to 60C and even allowing overclocking to 1300..1350 MHz. 1400 is unstable even if cooled and the temperature is about 60C

The fan is not fun. It's annoying. The Raspberry Pi 3 needs a big heatsink added in the factory.

StuckPI

Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:32 pm

I dont know much about the pi im still at the learning stage, and i jumped in with both feet lol.
What I do know however is cooling. Having read tons about cooling specifically in relation to the pi's themselves, because when i got my first pi, i was straight in with the mindset heatsink / fan, this powered off the gpio did more harm temperature wise than good.
If we follow tradition and go down the DIY, needs to look good method, then get yourself a 5v pair of fans, someone to print a plastic 3d case, so the fans sit front pushing air in, across the front, through up the sides and out the top back. These pair of 5v fans should be USB connector headed so you can plug them into an external 5v usb hub. You can then add a coffee filter to keep dust out, and get significant cooling based on the case fin design, If you go high end you could possibly add noise reduction fans, they do exist in 5v sizes and are not too much higher than the pi.

Nickcn

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:32 pm

deleted
Last edited by Nickcn on Mon May 16, 2016 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nickcn

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:02 pm

deleted
Last edited by Nickcn on Mon May 16, 2016 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nickcn

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:56 pm

deleted
Last edited by Nickcn on Mon May 16, 2016 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdg2

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:53 pm

clivem wrote:
bdg2 wrote:I bought two Raspberry Pi 3s.
One can't do anything complex, such as playing a youtube video, for long before it goes funny, mostly the running program just closes on it's own.
Try appending "over_voltage=2" to the /boot/config.txt on the unstable one. There have been a couple of reports now that a little extra voltage is needed for some samples of Pi3B to run stable, under load, at "turbo" frequency.
But then if I use that card in another pi it'll unnecessarily get an over voltage.

I'm going to try and return it for a refund.

ddurdle

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:04 pm

I notice a yellow square shows up in the top right of the screen after some time playing back youtube videos. Fades out when I stop (go idle). I take it this an overheating indicator? It's similar as the undervoltage but yellow instead of red.

GTR2Fan

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:05 pm

Nickcn wrote:Option to resolve overheating (on pi3)
How is recommending someone to overclock an already hot system going to help resolve overheating?
note- this is very minimal and stable, and should pretty much work with all pi3's.
You've already been told umpteen times by umpteen people that this is not true, so why do you keep insisting that it is?

Code: Select all

dtparam=sd_overclock=100
That seriously risks scrambling the contents of any card not designed to run at that speed, ie, any ordinary Class-rated card. At the very least it'll either fail to boot or be very unstable.

arm_freq=1275
over_voltage=4
This is by no means going to "pretty much work with all Pi3's" when many are already downclocking at stock clock speed with no overvolting and some are returning errors in certain stress tests at stock speed even with overvolting.

sdram_freq=575
sdram_schmoo=0x02000020
over_voltage_sdram_p=6
over_voltage_sdram_i=4
over_voltage_sdram_c=4
This is entirely specific to every individual Pi3 and is by no means guaranteed to be stable on any even vaguely predictable percentage of them.

core_freq=500
v3d_freq=500
h264_freq=333
Once again, more heat added to system temperature, so how does this address the issue in the thread title when it's guaranteed to have exactly the opposite effect?

gpu_mem=256
Almost entirely irrelevant in terms of temperature.
Get yourself a good case with fan/heatsink, or just place a $5 fan on your existing case (with heatsinks) and connect it to the 5V GPIO 4/6 pins (or use an on/off fan run automation script), and you should be able to get below 80C with ease. (which is where throttling starts)
Unless you've stressed the GPU as well simultaneously, expect to add up to another 15C on top of that. Have you stress tested with a simultaneous heavy GPU load yet? If not, you have no way of even knowing if it's stable, let alone how much further down it will push the CPU clock.
Then I just ran CPUBurn for an hour, and temps stayed below 85C using a fan only .
temp=84.9'C
frequency(45)=794000000
So with no GPU load at all, it's throttling back already even with a hoofing great fan on it, partly due to the overcolck. AAAARRRGGH! :shock:

Overclocking recommendations have a place, but that place in NOT in a thread specifically relating to devices already suffering overheating issues.
Last edited by GTR2Fan on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Nickcn

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:12 pm

deleted
Last edited by Nickcn on Mon May 16, 2016 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:04 pm

bdg2 wrote:
clivem wrote:Try appending "over_voltage=2" to the /boot/config.txt on the unstable one. There have been a couple of reports now that a little extra voltage is needed for some samples of Pi3B to run stable, under load, at "turbo" frequency.
But then if I use that card in another pi it'll unnecessarily get an over voltage.

I'm going to try and return it for a refund.
You can use filters in config.txt to make that option apply to a specific Pi only.

ddurdle

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:55 pm

I've got two Pi 3 units (from different suppliers). Both overheat with raspbian (release 3-18-2016). I'm using standard config.txt settings.

Both units overheat with basic web navigations. Even intensive use of i/o will trigger overheating after some time (< 5 min). I done my testing without a case.

In non-opengl mode, I'll get a yellow icon that comes in and out on the right-top of the screen, and I can feel the cpu being throttled. In opengl mode, the screen goes in and out.

I decided to add heatsinks to one of the two units. It helps a bit but doesn't resolve the issue.

I'm a long-time user of the pi, owning them all. Never seen an overheating issue on any of them. Never saw the yellow overheating icon ever on the pi2 (assume the indicator is available on that model).

lordbaronmarshall

Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:15 am

My Pi3 has been getting hot enough to desroy data on the micro sdcard and USB data card. So whether it's within specs or not is moot. You can't have that kind of heat. I have heatsinks and the proper 2.5amp power source. What i've found is that Firefox is keeping all four CPU cores running 50%-70% and heating up enough to smell plastic burning within 30 seconds or so. Epiphany was only slightly better. I've settled on Midori, which only uses about 10%. None can be used to watch youtube or the same heating problems occur.

So for now, web browsing I'm using Midori, youtube-dl for downloading, and omxplayer for watching video. I've had no heating problems with these. I have also started trying out streaming URLs with VLC, but don't have any results yet.

Rive

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:25 am

lordbaronmarshall wrote:My Pi3 has been getting hot enough to desroy data on the micro sdcard and USB data card. So whether it's within specs or not is moot. You can't have that kind of heat. I have heatsinks and the proper 2.5amp power source. What i've found is that Firefox is keeping all four CPU cores running 50%-70% and heating up enough to smell plastic burning within 30 seconds or so. Epiphany was only slightly better. I've settled on Midori, which only uses about 10%. None can be used to watch youtube or the same heating problems occur.

So for now, web browsing I'm using Midori, youtube-dl for downloading, and omxplayer for watching video. I've had no heating problems with these. I have also started trying out streaming URLs with VLC, but don't have any results yet.
Get a fan
DNPNWO

kjjohnsen

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:04 am

I've been working with the Pi 3, and can confirm issues when it gets hot. I'm running all 4 cores for an image processing app (about 250% cpu) and using bluetooth & wifi at the same time. At some point during the operation of the program, I lose my bluetooth and wifi connections to the Pi (and can't login again after that, like the bluetooth/wifi have crashed). The only way I can keep it stable is by keeping the temperature low with a fan. Found a bunch of posts about the internal bluetooth causing the problem, and switched to an external bluetooth dongle and that basically fixed the problem, though I still have to keep it somewhat cool or WiFi crashes at some point. Note, I confirmed this behavior with 3 Pis (I have 7), and tried lots of different power supplies (even a lab power supply where I could precisely monitor voltage and current). I can't say for sure that the heat causes the problems, but its the only explanation I have for the behavior I've seen.

Rive

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Just to conclude. Yes there is a significant overheating issue. The Pi3 is already pushed to nearly it's manufacturing limits, and thus overheats/throttles without much prodding. The pi3 needs forced convection cooling. Passive airflow is insufficient to properly cool. A heat sink on a pi3 in a case with no airflow is utterly useless.

1. The pi3 runs hot and will exceed 80C and begin throttling with basic normal use at around 50% (or 200%) or so CPU load in any non-lightweight, medium or heavy task as it approaches full 100% (400%) utilization of the SoC.

2. If the temp increase is too rapid, too fast, too high, it may cause the pi3 to freeze/lockup, become unresponsive, or otherwise fail (which can damage the SoC).

3. If you don't want to overheat or throttle, get a (good) heatsink and get a fan.

I have resolved the heat issue. My pi3 no longer overheats. I now Idle at 27C, normal/everyday tasks at 50%-100% load run between 30C - 35C on the average, Stress runs at 43C, NEON Cpuburn-a53 runs like it is nothing at 62C. No throttling. Ambient 20C. I am also in a case.

With the current cooling system, I am unable to get the pi3 thermal temps to exceed 64C (might try Quake Arena 3).

See: viewtopic.php?p=952371#p952371

DNPNWO

Kayak83

Fri May 13, 2016 12:42 am

Found this thread in a google search while looking into normal load CPU temps. I'm running SNES on Retropie inside Raspbian and SSH from my PC while in the middle of a game tells me things get to about 75C when playing a SNES game!! And this is with the heatsinks that came with the kit (Vilros). Debating a cooling fan now since passive seems to not cut the mustard here. I have some full size case fans laying around but was wondering if I should get a Pi specific fan case or something along those lines.

I'm a bit concerned as well if I use my Pi as an IP camera outside (weatherproof'd of course) that when the sun hits it it'll cook itself. Very unsafe.

pxgator

Fri May 13, 2016 1:07 am

Take a look at Rive's setup. Without some air flow a small heatsink
is almost useless. A fan can make a remarkable difference.
So what's all this RPi stuff anyhow? Well folks, it's a feat of engineering from
the UK almost as remarkable as the De Havilland Mosquito and the Colossus.

Forrrge

Fri May 13, 2016 7:09 am

Has anyone tried one of these off the shelf solutions ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acrylic-Clear ... SwaZdXIFL9

Return to “General discussion”