BMS Doug

Re: I feel like betrayed

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:07 am

PiGraham wrote: The FAQ could merely say that "as of Feb 2015 there are no firm schedule for new models."
Or better yet "we will not announce new models ahead of their release date."
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

PiGraham

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:21 am

BMS Doug wrote:
PiGraham wrote: The FAQ could merely say that "as of Feb 2015 there are no firm schedule for new models."
Or better yet "we will not announce new models ahead of their release date."
Yes, that is better. Even if there was a new model planned for release in 2 weeks RPF wouldn't want to announce it ahead of time, so saying "we have no plans" when there are no plans could make things difficult if there comes a time when there are plans.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:46 am

I'll get the FAQ updated.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:49 am

PiGraham wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:If the objection is to the statement on the FAQ, the key phrases to keep in mind are "as of February 2015" and "this is not a firm schedule".
The important phrase is "A further new model may be released in 2-3 years, but this is not a firm schedule."
I think it was a mistake to put that on the FAQ. Why put dates to it at all? Saying you have no plans for another Pi for 2 to 3 years is not useful information and is very likely to mislead into thinking that it will be at least 2 years before a new model comes out.
Since the FAW stays up on the officially maintained web site it has more permanence and an appearance of currency than an interview, blog post or news item. People expect FAQs to ve current but understand that old news is not current.
The FAQ could merely say that "as of Feb 2015 there is no firm schedule for new models."
Sure, I wouldn't have worded it that way either.

BMS Doug

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:06 pm

jamesh wrote:I'll get the FAQ updated.
If you are updating the main site FAQ then this section needs attention:
2. IS THERE BUILT IN WIFI?

No model of the Raspberry Pi has built in WiFi, but all models can support a USB WiFi dongle. The Foundation offers its own branded WiFi dongle which has been fully tested for use with the Raspberry Pi. It is available through our Swag store. You can, of course, use a dongle from another provider if you wish. -Networking, USB, and Wireless -Top

3. WILL THERE EVER BE A BUILT IN WIFI OPTION?

Unlikely. The SoC does not support native WiFi, and adding an additional built in WiFi chip would greatly increase the cost of the Raspberry Pi. -Networking, USB, and Wireless -Top
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamesh

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:13 pm

I've flagged both issues up to those who can do something about it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jb63

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm not sure why we complain about the PI2 vs PI3. In these modern times every company does it, and it's a way to keep the economy going and 'interest in the product' alive. If I want to be upset about this, then I'd be upset about Apple, for holding off on some features and releasing them every year, with a new iPad (or iPhone) model, and incremental performance boost. But, ... that's another discussion.

exartemarte

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:33 pm

Heater wrote:When I worked at Nokia all the servers I had to work with were named after famous things that crashed, Titanic, Hindenburg, Gripen, Concordski and so on.
I call that tempting providence!
jamesh wrote:We've just called a couple of machines we found in a skip May and Hammond. We avoided Clarkson, in case it got up and smacked us in the face.
This site needs a LOL button.
Pithagoros wrote:
exartemarte wrote:I am reminded of a story in the computing press of an organisation whose new owners were not pleased to find in-house servers called B*stard, F*rtPants and W*nker (my asterisks - Liz might be watching...)
So their sysadmins were fans of Viz it would seem.
Is that where it came fom? I never knew!

PiGraham

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:31 pm

jb63 wrote:I'm not sure why we complain about the PI2 vs PI3. In these modern times every company does it, and it's a way to keep the economy going and 'interest in the product' alive. If I want to be upset about this, then I'd be upset about Apple, for holding off on some features and releasing them every year, with a new iPad (or iPhone) model, and incremental performance boost. But, ... that's another discussion.
Interestingly Apple seem to thrive on the building excitement of the next new model, so they take the opposite view to RPF on disclosing new models. By the time the new model is available everybody wants one. Mind you, supplies of new Raspberries is always stretched. Maybe increased demand at launch would cause meltdown. Presumably a tricky balance must be struck between increased demand for the new and declining demand for the old.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:34 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: Many years ago--mid- to late-1980s?--I saw a list of unix systems on the UC Berkeley campus. It was single spaced in two columns and ran 30 pages.
Did it include the Scamnet nodes?

GTR2Fan

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:38 pm

PiGraham wrote:Interestingly Apple seem to thrive on the building excitement of the next new model, so they take the opposite view to RPF on disclosing new models. By the time the new model is available everybody wants one.
That certainly works for a company whose main objective is to suck in the gullible. I'm glad to say that that's not how the RPF roll.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

fivdi

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:43 pm

@silidor have you considered divorce?

asandford

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:04 am

exartemarte wrote:
exartemarte wrote:I have more Pis than you could shake a stick at -
Which, of course, creates naming problems: Gaspode, Greebo, Benfro, Dumbledore & McGonagall (routers), Gandalf, Batman, Robin, Hermione (laptop), Ginny, Lavender, Luna, Hannah, Neville, not to mention the more prosaically named Desktop_mint, Desktop_pi and Radio. I've probably forgotten one or two. (Suggestions will be considered.)

Oh, and print_server.
You could have snow white and the seven dwarves, that would give you 8 characters to name after.

Dutch_Master

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:49 am

Consider a "World Capitals" series: there's 275+ countries on this rock, so plenty to choose from. Added bonus: you get some education from it as well, perfectly in line with the Foundations core principles for the RPi ;) And perhaps rename your routers to the Google founders while at it, only seems fitting :ugeek: :mrgreen:

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:56 am

ukscone wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: Many years ago--mid- to late-1980s?--I saw a list of unix systems on the UC Berkeley campus. It was single spaced in two columns and ran 30 pages.
Did it include the Scamnet nodes?
Beats me. I would have had to read all 30 pages of double column, single-spaced listing. Besides...30 years ago.

rpdom

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:01 am

asandford wrote:You could have snow white and the seven dwarves, that would give you 8 characters to name after.
I've managed servers named after the dwarves, but not snow white.

We also had several sets of "planets" for different customers in the same datacentre, which could get confusing when we got fault calls like "I can't see Mars!". "Which one?".

There was also one customer who had five small front-end servers named after the first five planets, and a giant back-end server called Pluto. They didn't think that naming scheme through properly.

I had a little test server called "notinuse", just to confuse people :)

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:05 am

GTR2Fan wrote:
PiGraham wrote:Interestingly Apple seem to thrive on the building excitement of the next new model, so they take the opposite view to RPF on disclosing new models. By the time the new model is available everybody wants one.
That certainly works for a company whose main objective is to suck in the gullible. I'm glad to say that that's not how the RPF roll.
Be careful what you say - that's a hell of a lot of gullible people, if that was true.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Pithagoros

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:55 am

exartemarte wrote:
Pithagoros wrote:
exartemarte wrote:I am reminded of a story in the computing press of an organisation whose new owners were not pleased to find in-house servers called B*stard, F*rtPants and W*nker (my asterisks - Liz might be watching...)
So their sysadmins were fans of Viz it would seem.
Is that where it came fom? I never knew!
Yes, Spoilt ___, Johnny ____ and Cockney ____ respectively. I'm surprised you didn't mention a cluster pair with nodes called Sandra and Tray with a virtual cluster name F__ S___s.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:41 am

Can we drop the Viz stuff now please? One quick mention was fair enough but it does contravene the Ts and Cs.

JimmyN

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:51 pm

rpdom wrote: I had a little test server called "notinuse", just to confuse people :)
Ha Ha, that's what I use for an SSID, "notinuse". Apparently there are a lot of humorists in my neighborhood, all the SSID's I can see have "unusual" names. :D

Heater

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:07 pm

My SSID at home is "nomansland". As in God help you if you enter there :)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Burngate

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:44 pm

Odd really.
It started with a RiscPC 600 and a RiscPC 700, which, naturally got called 600 & 700. The next one got called 800, and the next ARM machine, an A9, got called 900, just 'cos.
With all the Pi's, the ARM devices now well into the 2000's
The Intel/Windows devices started at 486, and progressed from there - I'm up to 986, now.

The one virtue of being so boring is that, unlike planets, dwarfs, etc., I'll never run out of names.
Though I've been thinking for some time about prefixing the Windows things with a j - not to imply any imaginary-ness, merely to clarify their orthogonality

GTR2Fan

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:54 pm

"Mobile Surveillance" used to be one of my favourite SSIDs. I'd like to think that it might keep some amateur snoopers at bay. :D
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

jb63

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:53 pm

PiGraham wrote:
jb63 wrote:I'm not sure why we complain about the PI2 vs PI3. In these modern times every company does it, and it's a way to keep the economy going and 'interest in the product' alive. If I want to be upset about this, then I'd be upset about Apple, for holding off on some features and releasing them every year, with a new iPad (or iPhone) model, and incremental performance boost. But, ... that's another discussion.
Interestingly Apple seem to thrive on the building excitement of the next new model, so they take the opposite view to RPF on disclosing new models. By the time the new model is available everybody wants one. Mind you, supplies of new Raspberries is always stretched. Maybe increased demand at launch would cause meltdown. Presumably a tricky balance must be struck between increased demand for the new and declining demand for the old.
True, but what 'upsets' me with Apple is the 'deliberate' withholding of features, and releasing them 'incrementally'. I was one of the early adopters of an iPod touch (64GB). It had a plastic 'filler' for what was meant to be a camera. Long and behold, few months later, they did release one with a camera ... and yes, I felt betrayed. But like I said, that's another discussion :)

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:17 pm

JimmyN wrote:
rpdom wrote: I had a little test server called "notinuse", just to confuse people :)
Ha Ha, that's what I use for an SSID, "notinuse". Apparently there are a lot of humorists in my neighborhood, all the SSID's I can see have "unusual" names. :D
About 15 months ago I took a trip on Amtrak (US passenger train service), while rolling through some SF Bay suburbs, Fremont, mostly, with a Pi set up and watching WiFi connections stream by it was simply amazing how many of the them had recognizable default SSIDs, and I'd be willing to guess they had no or default passwords as well.

Return to “General discussion”