silidor

I feel like betrayed

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:58 am

Hey guys,

I know that I most of you will be like "WTF are u stupid" but i really feel betrayed.

So in December in 2015 I finally bought a raspberry pi 2 because I thought, that there won't be a new Pi in the next 2 or 3 years.
And now they released a new one... If I would have known that they would release a new one, I would have waited for 2 or 3 monthts. Is there a way to change my raspberry pi 2 to raspberry pi 3?

BTW: Sorry for my bad english :/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: I feel like betrayed

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:09 am

I'm afraid these things happen. Technology changes very rapidly, and so do plans.

One thing to remember, that Pi2 you have is exactly the same Pi2 you had yesterday. It does exactly the same things as before. You haven't lost any performance. I'm still using a Pi2 (and a Pi1 somewhere) - it does the job.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Jednorozec

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:14 am

silidor wrote:Is there a way to change my raspberry pi 2 to raspberry pi 3?
You could try a full moon, an obsidian knife and a young virgin. If you do please let us know if it works.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

silidor

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:16 am

Of course but when I decide to buy stuff i usually rely on the informations of the company. If I would have known that a new Pi would be released in February, I wouldn't have bought the Pi 2. If I had the money to buy the Pi 3 , I would do it... unfortunately I don't have the money

And just to let everyone know. I'm still happy that the Raspberry Pi foundation exists. They give us the opportunity to get a cheap plattform to work with. In my case it helped me to find my own path ( Road to Master degree for Computer science

You could try a full moon, an obsidian knife and a young virgin. If you do please let us know if it works.
Nice advice, I will definitly give it a try!

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:18 am

you have less upgrade fail then when they moved from PIB ro PIB2
there is nothing wrong with the one you have - you can buy a new one as it will only cost the board as everything else will work fine -
you can donate the existing one to a school or use it for other stuff..
having more than one is always useful
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

mikerr

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 am

It's great with a speed boost and wifi & BT - but a PI2B is still pretty fast.
The difference between Pi3 and Pi2 is much less than Pi1 (B+) vs P2 (which is night and day!)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Heater

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:57 am

silidor,

Before we start throwing "stupid" at you let's think this through for a few seconds:

The Pi Foundation could have announced that they were going to develop a new Pi with WIFI and Bluetoth, oh and 64 bit cores!, when they started development. Say 6 months ago or whatever.

What do you think the result of this might be?

Many people would immediately change their minds about buying a Pi 2 and decide to wait for the Pi 3. Like yourself for example.

Sales of Pi would drop dramatically. The foundations income would plummet. People would loose their jobs. Development of the Pi 3 would be cancelled. You would not get anything! Disaster.

Worse, what if the Pi 3 development failed for some reason? Perhaps that new 64 bit core was hard to get working, or perhaps the FCC failed the radio tests. The whole project could have been delayed or even cancelled. So now we have no sales for half a year plus no new product on time. Bankruptcy and misery all around.

Do have a read about the Osbourne Effect to get the idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

So, perhaps not "stupid" but certainly sounding like that 5 year old who was quite happy with his Christmas present but started whining and complaining when he saw is new younger brother got something a bit better :)

Anyway, be happy with the Pi 2, it's a fine machine, that's why you bought it. And good luck with your studies.

BMS Doug

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:55 pm

I bought a new Pi2 last month, it doesn't bother me (Except that I just had to spend £115 to buy 3 Pi3's and cases for them).

I am however (now) pleased with the failure of Pi-Supply to deliver the 2 Pi2's that I bought from them in November, My patience has ended, refund please.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:56 pm

there was a post / thread like this when the PIB 2 was released -
it got locked
I don't have it to hand .... ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm undecided whether to lock this thread or not. This issue comes up every time a new Pi (or any other product!) comes up. There's nothing you can do about it, so the only benefit of a thread like this is to give people somewhere to vent.

Like I said, undecided. So staying open, for the moment.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

vman81

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:03 pm

There is no way for them to announce upcoming products without hurting sales of the current gen.
It's called the Osborne effect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

edit: apparently I didn't read all previous posts

ConradG13

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Lol, I bought a pi 2 model b on wednsday. Should've waited a week. :x
People who say times instead of multiply shouldn't be around.

Jednorozec

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:23 pm

<whine>
I bought a couple of Pi Bs and then the B+ came out so I had to buy one of those. Then there was the Pi 2B so I had to get that. Now I have to buy a 3. If this keeps up I'm going to be knee deep in Pis.
</whine>
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

hippy

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:26 pm

vman81 wrote:There is no way for them to announce upcoming products without hurting sales of the current gen.
But the Osborne effect is not an absolute. Sure, some people will put off buying when they know there is a new version coming, but others won't be.

If the Osborne effect is an absolute then no more Pi A+'s and CM's will be sold seeing as it has been announced there are plans to supersede those later this year.

ibisum

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:28 pm

There will always be something new. What is important is that you get something done with what you've got. If your old rPi is suddenly not worth investing time in 'because there is a new one' then I can only suggest that it wasn't really worth the effort in the first place.

"Old computers" never die - their users do. Its still just as useful as it was the first day it was ever turned on. The only difference is in the mental attitude of the end-user, making the decision - or not - that the hardware is useful in some way.

What really makes this maxim viable in the rPi world, is the price. All things considered, probably the best value in computing, by far ..
;
--
ibisum
{ repeat:generate::consume::produce::destroy }

Heater

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:31 pm

ConradG13,
I bought a pi 2 model b on wednsday. Should've waited a week.
Nah, Wait a week as well. Then buy 2 more Pi on Wednesday.

Best of both worlds, Pi today and Pi tomorrow! :)

Pithagoros

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:36 pm

I think that statement was already obsolete by the time you read it in December, as there was a new model released in November 2015.

But deja vu. I recall these conversations when the Pi2B appeared.

hippy

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:43 pm

ibisum wrote:If your old rPi is suddenly not worth investing time in 'because there is a new one' then I can only suggest that it wasn't really worth the effort in the first place.
I still love my Pi 1 B+ but I do sometimes feel it has become obsolete given some software I would like to try only runs on a Pi 2B. I can still do everything I could ever do with it, but it cannot do what I would like to do with it.

GTR2Fan

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:44 pm

I feel the exact opposite of being betrayed. It's great to see the RPF investing some of the money I've spent on previous models (one quite recently) on improving the product range and still managing to keep the price down. 8-)
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

mikerr

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:49 pm

hippy wrote:
vman81 wrote:There is no way for them to announce upcoming products without hurting sales of the current gen.
But the Osborne effect is not an absolute. Sure, some people will put off buying when they know there is a new version coming, but others won't be.

If the Osborne effect is an absolute then no more Pi A+'s and CM's will be sold seeing as it has been announced there are plans to supersede those later this year.
The P2 is/was the "cash cow" / biggest profit seller - wouldn't want to harm sales of that,
the other models less so. (though the zero would be potentially bigger if they sort out stock!)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:51 pm

Imagine they had announced ahead of time that there was going to be a new Pi. The day before that you could have still bought an old one and felt betrayed.

I have been buying tech since 1979. Believe me, it can be worse than this.

I'm looking around for a case for my Rev 1 board at the moment. It's got a great future ahead of it running the light show in my coffee table. That won't stretch it much, but it could flash to tell me I had email or animate a clock-face with the right time... I wonder if you can play Tetris on an 8x6 display. Probably not.

bugsy_malone 666

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:51 pm

I think I know how you feel, for me though its more that the pi2 and pi3 are the same price!

Essentially though, if you have had a pi2 for 2 months, why are you worried, what are you using your Pi2 for that a Pi3 would be that much better about?

I'm thinking that having only bought a Pi2 a month ago (and getting a zero!) which I then splashed out on the codecs for playing DVDs, maybe I should have waited and finished solving the pi OSMC things first before implementing on a new model.

That said, I am building a media centre with a 10 port usb hub, I dont see how having wifi/bluetooth built in will improve on my current setup, nor having 64 bit operations when software doesnt support it yet.

Dont feel betrayed (only on price as if the Pi3 was say 2 dollars more expensive would feel a bit more on the game) as it'll take time for the good stuff to happen and people to start getting software to make use of the extra.

You have a pi2, wheres the big difference?

rpdom

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:17 pm

My Zero arrived today. I'm happy with that :-)

Maybe I'll get a 3 one day, but I'm in no hurry.

gwRPi

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:37 pm

I looked at the specs of the Pi 2 and Pi 3. They are very close and I am not fretting about this. I work with technology every day, and they march forward every day.

Thus said, I am VERY happy with my two Pi 2's and I am going to keep using them. I am also happy now at least one Zero is working (the other I will test today once the extra parts arrive).

It's a great little PC, I would consider buying one on it's birthday (just because!) but it's not a big deal. I already have 4 of them :)

lb

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:47 pm

Well, the Pi 3 clearly is a compromise. It's a good compromise, though. It's still 99% backwards compatible in hardware and software to the first Pi released 4 years ago, despite countless feature additions and improvements! That's a pretty amazing feat. Others sell SBCs, Raspberry Pi sells a platform.

Return to “General discussion”