DirkS
Posts: 9936
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:00 am

NedTheNerd wrote:I prepared a new SD card and new USB hard drive using the process I have used for years for both RPi1 and RPi2 but the RPi3 refuses to boot from the USB hard drive.
Not really the best place to post this. I would create a new topic in Troubleshooting. It will give you a better chance of getting a relevant response.

BTW: if you create a new topic make sure you tell us exactly what 'refuses to boot' means... what do you see on your screen when you power up the Pi.

HankB
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:07 am

NedTheNerd wrote: Anybody had the same issue? Can anybody advise?
Hi Ned,
I followed the instructions in this thread. (More or less, I run Linux on my PCs which makes steps performed on the PC a lot easier.)

I put Ubuntu Mate on the USB drive and tried to boot from an SD card that had been running Raspbian Jessie (pre-Pi3.) It did not boot. I installed Ubuntu Mate on another SD card and that boots the USB installation without any difficulty.

Have you updated your setup since the Pi 3 came out? I cannot recall if the /boot partition is mounted when the USB system is up and running. I would try updating everything while running on the Pi2 (and with the SD card /boot partition mounted at /boot)

If that doesn't help. I would install a complete current image on the SD card and modify it to boot the USB drive.

If you aren't sure how to get the SD card /boot partition mounted, reply here and I'll dig into it. (My Pi3 is not up and running at the moment.)

If you've already done all of this, sorry I couldn't help.

Edit: DirksS is right. I would not complain if a mod moved this to another thread.

hhoanganh
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:38 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:22 pm

Does the Pi3 wifi reconnect automatically when the wireless AP down for a while then goes back up?

User avatar
clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1013
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:33 pm

Unstickying to encourage specific questions to bubble up.

beta-tester
Posts: 1237
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Location: de_DE

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:38 am

clive wrote:Unstickying to encourage specific questions to bubble up.
thank you...
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

lordbaronmarshall
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:59 pm

oryxhasapi wrote:Will berryboot work?
Yes, I used berryboot to load android 5.0 and an old cyanogenmod 2.3 onto my Raspberry Pi3. Of course, Android ran slow, but berryboot did fine.

In case you're interested, I ended up running ubuntuMATE, as it was the fastest and most functional of the OS I tried out.

User avatar
peterwillcn
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:21 am
Contact: Website

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:49 am

Pi4 upgrade dual gigabit NIC

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10883
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:16 pm

peterwillcn wrote:Pi4 upgrade dual gigabit NIC
I can, just barely, envision an actual use for upgrading to Gb/s Ethernet, but *two*...? I don't think so. Better to upgrade the on-chip USB to 3.0 and bring that out as 4 USB 3.0 ports and Gb/s Ethernet. Then if you want a second one, add an adapter.

Besides....where would *put* a second RJ-45 jack?

(Note that most desktop PCs don't have dual NICs. Why would anyone expect--let alone demand--such on an SBC?)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 3454
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:51 pm

peterwillcn wrote:Pi4 upgrade dual gigabit NIC
I think single gigabit ethernet is more likely than not for the pi4. I find dual ethernet highly unlikely, the cost of a second port would be significant, theres nowhere to put it in the form factor and it doesn't really fit with the target market.

The above is just my personal opinion, I have no inside information on the pi4.

dbrb2
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:47 pm

The pads for the u.FL connector seem to be marked by J13 on the PCB?
Would the onboard antennae need to be removed if this is populated...?

DirkS
Posts: 9936
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:26 pm

dbrb2 wrote:The pads for the u.FL connector seem to be marked by J13 on the PCB?
Would the onboard antennae need to be removed if this is populated...?
See e.g. https://hackaday.io/project/10091-raspb ... al-antenna and http://www.dorkbotpdx.org/blog/wramsdel ... berry_pi_3

Hallo32
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Mon May 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi,

the raspberry pi is running at around ~81°C by a room temperature of ~21°C.
Is this still normal?

Also 2 Sandisk extreme µSDs failed on this pi.
The SDs showed sectors, which could not be overwritten any more.
Are there any incompatibility known?

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi:~/buildGCC $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=80.6'C
pi@raspberrypi:~/buildGCC $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=81.1'C
pi@raspberrypi:~/buildGCC $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=81.7'C
pi@raspberrypi:~/buildGCC $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=80.6'C
pi@raspberrypi:~/buildGCC $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=80.6'C

virtualjmills
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 5:59 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Fri May 20, 2016 6:34 am

fabio70mi wrote:Hi,

i'm looking at wifi supported interface modes with "iw list";
monitor and mesh (802.11s) modes are missing.

Do you think they will be implemented in the future ?

thank you
Fabio
I was *REALLY* hoping the RPi3 on-board Wi-Fi would be IEEE 802.11s capable ... but no. :-(

The Wi-Fi / Bluetooth chip used is part of the Broadcom BCM43430 chip family, and uses the FullMAC http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developer ... ry#FullMAC (aka HardMAC) driver model. Unless Broadcom implements IEEE 802.11s in brcmfmac *and* the firmware for that chip family or the specific family variant on the RPi3, getting access to IEEE 802.11s will never happen.

Now, one can make a pretty compelling argument that a low-bandwidth, standards-driven resilient networking option like IEEE 802.11s would be in the best interests of the Raspberry Pi Foundation squarely in the educational sector, but they're not the ones who own the intellectual property involved. :-) FWIW, Before the RPi3 was available, I laid-in a stockpile of TP-Link WN-722N (v1.10) USB Wi-Fi NICs which will do IEEE 802.11s, but I discovered were too power-hungry to run directly off the RPi2 USB bus -- requiring an external powered USB hub to keep them happy.

As for monitor mode (single-channel, Rx-only, unassociated), that seems like a much tougher thing to argue as "important" for an education-centric product line.

All IMHO mind you, I have no association with RPiF other than as a non-educational market consumer.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4590
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Fri May 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Let me see if I've got this right... based on what I've learned from reading this entire thread (as well as the blogs), the Pi3 has a dynamic on-demand clock that runs at:

ARM (CPU) 600 MHz normally, and doubles to 1.2 GHz under heavy loads.
Core (GPU/L2) 250 MHz normally, and 450 MHz under heavy loads.
1GB DDR2 DRAM at 450MHz.

But does the RAM dynamically clock as well, and if so, what are the "normal" and "turbo" speeds?

Thanks, Tim

PS: Love the new Pi3! So much faster than my original Pi-B!!
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5331
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Sat May 21, 2016 9:53 am

HawaiianPi wrote: ARM (CPU) 600 MHz normally, and doubles to 1.2 GHz under heavy loads.
Yep
Core (GPU/L2) 250 MHz normally, and 450 MHz under heavy loads.
400MHz under load
1GB DDR2 DRAM at 450MHz.
400 normally and 450 under load

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4590
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Sat May 21, 2016 10:00 am

Thanks, dom!
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

atebyasandwich
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:49 am

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:33 am

Hi there,

I seem to be having a hard time setting the model b as a wireless AP. I took a brand new image, updated, and ran the script from this site: https://github.com/andrewbluepiano/RasPi3-NoInternetAP which is just a script that follows the directions here https://frillip.com/using-your-raspberr ... h-hostapd/. But not my laptop nor my phone can detect the AP's SSID. I ever followed the suggestion here: viewtopic.php?uid=201781&f=63&t=137932&start=325 to comment any mention of drivers, but the script did not have a line in the .conf file to ignore it.

I feel like I'm so close but yet so far. I eventually want to make this an Onion Rounter, so any help on why I can't see the SSID would be great.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23636
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:31 am

atebyasandwich wrote:Hi there,

I seem to be having a hard time setting the model b as a wireless AP. I took a brand new image, updated, and ran the script from this site: https://github.com/andrewbluepiano/RasPi3-NoInternetAP which is just a script that follows the directions here https://frillip.com/using-your-raspberr ... h-hostapd/. But not my laptop nor my phone can detect the AP's SSID. I ever followed the suggestion here: viewtopic.php?uid=201781&f=63&t=137932&start=325 to comment any mention of drivers, but the script did not have a line in the .conf file to ignore it.

I feel like I'm so close but yet so far. I eventually want to make this an Onion Rounter, so any help on why I can't see the SSID would be great.
Please start a new thread for questions like this.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
johnb_summers
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Bushey UK

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:43 am

After reading some of this I do think a 1 gig RJ45 and 4 USB 3 ports would be a real improvement and I would not mind paying more for, maybe a PI3 C, plus it would be nice to have boot from hard drive vie USB 3 ports as a default and boot from SD card as an option, the SD cards are the weak link and have a negative affect on new users I believe.
MyPi Developer
http://mypiworld.com/
http://mypi.tech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2nyRgg-SY&nohtml5=False

mikerr
Posts: 2778
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:58 am

The Pi 3 can actually boot from USB or ethernet right now...

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=155167
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23636
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:05 am

johnb_summers wrote:After reading some of this I do think a 1 gig RJ45 and 4 USB 3 ports would be a real improvement and I would not mind paying more for, maybe a PI3 C, plus it would be nice to have boot from hard drive vie USB 3 ports as a default and boot from SD card as an option, the SD cards are the weak link and have a negative affect on new users I believe.
All 10 million of those users? SD cards are cheap, HD drives are not. Why would you change the default from something cheap that works for the majority to something expensive that fewer people would use?

I think SD cards are one of the great features. Makes it SO easy to completely change the device usage. As someone who deals with flash based Linux devices all the time, SD cards are so much more easy to use.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
johnb_summers
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Bushey UK

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:20 am

jamesh wrote:
johnb_summers wrote:After reading some of this I do think a 1 gig RJ45 and 4 USB 3 ports would be a real improvement and I would not mind paying more for, maybe a PI3 C, plus it would be nice to have boot from hard drive vie USB 3 ports as a default and boot from SD card as an option, the SD cards are the weak link and have a negative affect on new users I believe.
All 10 million of those users? SD cards are cheap, HD drives are not. Why would you change the default from something cheap that works for the majority to something expensive that fewer people would use?

I think SD cards are one of the great features. Makes it SO easy to completely change the device usage. As someone who deals with flash based Linux devices all the time, SD cards are so much more easy to use.
I think you are thinking of your customer base and rightly so as the PI attracts a wide range of people and you must cater for them all and you are right sd cards are cheap and easy to use but they do have a limited life span compared to a hard drive, but you did not respond to the I gig rj45 or USB 3, so if your connected to raspberry pi that could mean that it is in the works, but as for SD cards it is just my personal preference for pis of my own use, I have tried the boot from hard drive with a Samsung M3 1TB but part would not work on it
MyPi Developer
http://mypiworld.com/
http://mypi.tech/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US2nyRgg-SY&nohtml5=False

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10883
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:26 pm

johnb_summers wrote:
jamesh wrote:
johnb_summers wrote:After reading some of this I do think a 1 gig RJ45 and 4 USB 3 ports would be a real improvement and I would not mind paying more for, maybe a PI3 C, plus it would be nice to have boot from hard drive vie USB 3 ports as a default and boot from SD card as an option, the SD cards are the weak link and have a negative affect on new users I believe.
All 10 million of those users? SD cards are cheap, HD drives are not. Why would you change the default from something cheap that works for the majority to something expensive that fewer people would use?

I think SD cards are one of the great features. Makes it SO easy to completely change the device usage. As someone who deals with flash based Linux devices all the time, SD cards are so much more easy to use.
I think you are thinking of your customer base and rightly so as the PI attracts a wide range of people and you must cater for them all and you are right sd cards are cheap and easy to use but they do have a limited life span compared to a hard drive, but you did not respond to the I gig rj45 or USB 3, so if your connected to raspberry pi that could mean that it is in the works, but as for SD cards it is just my personal preference for pis of my own use, I have tried the boot from hard drive with a Samsung M3 1TB but part would not work on it
No real rasponse is possible because the only USB bus on the SoC is USB 2. The Pi3 *can't* have anything faster than USB 2. So to get what you want a whole new SoC is needed, and that won't happen (per Eben in his remarks at the time of the Pi3B launch) for 2 to 3 years. However, for a variety of reasons, I *hope* that when that does happen, the "Pi4B" will have USB 3 as I think that the limiting factor to the current design is USB 2. Of course, nothing has been said about future plans for features.

User avatar
flatmax
Posts: 336
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 10:36 pm

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:49 am

jamesh wrote:
MarkZ wrote:I'd like to ask again.

Does anyone know if the Pi3 processor supports I2s TDMmode so we can do multichannel audio?

Thanks.

Mark
I don't believe anything is different in that area to the Pi2.
If the Pi B shares the same silicon (bcm2835 compatible) with the Pi2 and Pi3, then multichannel audio is now available for those devices. As the GPIO is different for the Pi B, I wonder whether it has the I2S pins broken out ?
Also is the Pi B sharing the bcm2835 silicon ?
If so, can anyone link me to an image of the Pi B GPIO header with I2S pins marked ?

thanks
Matt
Check the Ultra 2 sound card - use our shop instead of Amazon Europe (Amazon USA is live).
Sound card for the Raspberry Pi with inbuilt microphone : www.audioinjector.net
Audio Inector Octo multitrack GPIO sound card

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 4131
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Pi0 and all Pi1 models use BCM2835. The older 26-pin GPIO was just the first 26 pins of the newer 40-pin version, so anything available on the first 26 pins of 40-pin models should be available on 26-pin models.
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”