GTR2Fan

Re: The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Q&A thread

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:58 am

eddberrypi wrote:Do all the Raspberry Pi 2 cases fit the Raspberry Pi 3?
Only if you remove the Pi2 first.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:58 am

ric96 wrote: ... So it doesn't share the usb bus with the 4 ports and Ethernet?
Also i am guessing the uart pins on the gpio header are untouched and can be used normally.
WiFi / BT are both connected via bank 1 GPIOs. The UART on the GPIO header is now the mini-uart - a slight downside is that variations in core frequency change your baudrate. Forcing a fixed core clock works around this issue.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

lb

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:02 am

On previous Pi models, The SD slot was unable to use UHS transfers modes due to lack of 1.8V I/O voltage capability. Has this changed? The SoC can do UHS in theory. As CPU speed increases even more, I/O starts to become a serious bottleneck, and UHS would certainly help a bit here.

Regarding an ARMv8 variant of Raspbian, why not use AArch32, the 32 bit variant of the ARMv8 architecture? It has all the advantages of the new instruction set, but still uses 32 bit pointers. Makes sense on a device with limited memory like the Pi, if you ask me.

DougieLawson

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:09 am

hippy wrote:I'm going to be the first to ask to get it out of the way ...

Will the full schematics of the Pi 3B be released ?
It's unlikely, there haven't been any full schematics for B+ or 2B. I've no idea why folks keep asking, there's nothing having a schematic will tell you that isn't available as part of the externals that are published for the hardware.
Last edited by DougieLawson on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jdb

lb wrote:On previous Pi models, The SD slot was unable to use UHS transfers modes due to lack of 1.8V I/O voltage capability. Has this changed? The SoC can do UHS in theory. As CPU speed increases even more, I/O starts to become a serious bottleneck, and UHS would certainly help a bit here.
The Arasan eMMC block is the only block that can do UHS and this is now connected to the onboard WiFi. The Broadcom SDHOST (which doesn't do UHS modes, but can be overclocked) now talks to the SD card.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

jamesh

lb wrote:On previous Pi models, The SD slot was unable to use UHS transfers modes due to lack of 1.8V I/O voltage capability. Has this changed? The SoC can do UHS in theory. As CPU speed increases even more, I/O starts to become a serious bottleneck, and UHS would certainly help a bit here.

Regarding an ARMv8 variant of Raspbian, why not use AArch32, the 32 bit variant of the ARMv8 architecture? It has all the advantages of the new instruction set, but still uses 32 bit pointers. Makes sense on a device with limited memory like the Pi, if you ask me.
Since when has 1GB of RAM been 'limited'? Or have people forgotten how to write memory efficient code?

The SD card I/F has moved from SDIO to SDHOST interface, not sure what difference that makes to it. Wifi is now on SDIO, and BT on a serial interface (Interestingly, although in the same package, Wifi and BT are Completely separate!)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

hippy

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:13 am

brekee12 wrote:It is great developing, never stops. However, I hope RPi B+ and RPi 2B will stay for long time for scaling the projects.
Farnell / elelemnt14 has had the Pi 1 B+ and older listed as "no longer stocked" / "special build only" for a while now so I guess they will cease to be readily available off the shelf but available to bulk order for those who need them or want to keep supplying them as resellers. I would expect that will increasingly become the case for all except "currently in mass production" Pi.

lb

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:13 am

jdb wrote:
The Arasan eMMC block is the only block that can do UHS and this is now connected to the onboard WiFi. The Broadcom SDHOST (which doesn't do UHS modes, but can be overclocked) now talks to the SD card.
Ahh, too bad. Thanks for the information, nonetheless.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:17 am

hippy wrote:
brekee12 wrote:It is great developing, never stops. However, I hope RPi B+ and RPi 2B will stay for long time for scaling the projects.
Farnell / elelemnt14 has had the Pi 1 B+ and older listed as "no longer stocked" / "special build only" for a while now so I guess they will cease to be readily available off the shelf but available to bulk order for those who need them or want to keep supplying them as resellers. I would expect that will increasingly become the case for all except "currently in mass production" Pi.
RS still list the B+ 6,000+

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/8111284

...still many other places to buy ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

hippy

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:17 am

DougieLawson wrote:
hippy wrote:I'm going to be the first to ask to get it out of the way ...

Will the full schematics of the Pi 3B be released ?
It's unlikely, there haven't been any full schematics for B+ or 2B. I've no idea why folks keep asking, there's nothing having a schematic will tell you that isn't available as part of the externals that are published for the hardware.
See past discussions where people have explained why they would like to see full schematics.

GTR2Fan

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:18 am

jdb wrote:The Broadcom SDHOST (which doesn't do UHS modes, but can be overclocked) now talks to the SD card.
Just to pad this out a little, it can be overclocked by up to 100%, ie, a doubling of the standard 50MHz clock speed. 42MB/s transfers via the card slot are nothing out of the ordinary on the old hardware with a card that's designed for a 100MHz clock speed. Presumably this holds true for the new.
Last edited by GTR2Fan on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

lb

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:19 am

jamesh wrote:
lb wrote: Regarding an ARMv8 variant of Raspbian, why not use AArch32, the 32 bit variant of the ARMv8 architecture? It has all the advantages of the new instruction set, but still uses 32 bit pointers. Makes sense on a device with limited memory like the Pi, if you ask me.
Since when has 1GB of RAM been 'limited'? Or have people forgotten how to write memory efficient code?
Yes, they absolutely have, of course! Currently, 16 GB of RAM are standard for new desktop computers, so 1 GB isn't much in comparison, particularly if you subtract a part of it for the GPU. Some use cases get more demanding all the time. Consider web browsing.

Edit: Also, noteworthy, I had a lot of trouble with compiling C++ code on the Raspberry Pi 2 already. I had to disable parallelism for my builds in the end.
Last edited by lb on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

lb

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 am

GTR2Fan wrote:
jdb wrote:The Broadcom SDHOST (which doesn't do UHS modes, but can be overclocked) now talks to the SD card.
Just to pad this out a little, it can be overclocked by up to 100%, ie, a doubling of the standard 50MHz clock speed. 42MB/s transfers via the card slot are nothing out of the ordinary on the old hardware with a card that's designed for a 100MHz clock speed.
But that's very clearly out of spec without reduced I/O voltage.

buja

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:26 am

I ordered a RPi3 (Pi + 2.5A power supply) from http://www.sossolutions.nl and I intend to pay with a bitcoin (part of a bitcoin really).

I wonder if a fast SD card (better than Class 10, Sandisk has something called Class 10 UHS-I, 80 MB/s) makes any difference?
Last edited by buja on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:27 am

buja wrote:I ordered a RPi3 from http://www.sossolutions.nl and I intend to pay with a bitcoin (part of a bitcoin really).
I bought one from pimoroni with bitcoin ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:30 am

lb wrote:
jamesh wrote:
lb wrote: Regarding an ARMv8 variant of Raspbian, why not use AArch32, the 32 bit variant of the ARMv8 architecture? It has all the advantages of the new instruction set, but still uses 32 bit pointers. Makes sense on a device with limited memory like the Pi, if you ask me.
Yes, they absolutely have, of course! Currently, 16 GB of RAM are standard for new desktop computers, so 1 GB isn't much in comparison, particularly if you subtract a part of it for the GPU. Some use cases get more demanding all the time. Consider web browsing.
I've never seen desktop with 16GB of RAM. Our (almost new) server has 8 cores and 16GB, and runs a small office of virtual Linux machines with no problems.

16GB in a desktop is absurd overkill unless you are using graphics intensive apps like video editors (or the very very latest games perhaps). As for web browsers, don't get me started - how Chrome can use up 6GB on my laptop is completely beyond me. That is simply BAD BAD BAD coding.

Hopefully, the Pi will help here, encouraging people to write code that is sane, and keeps within sensible memory boundaries.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:35 am

jamesh wrote:....
I've never seen desktop with 16GB of RAM. Our (almost new) server has 8 cores and 16GB, and runs a small office of virtual Linux machines with no problems.

16GB in a desktop is absurd overkill unless you are using graphics intensive apps like video editors (or the very very latest games perhaps). As for web browsers, don't get me started - how Chrome can use up 6GB on my laptop is completely beyond me. That is simply BAD BAD BAD coding.

Hopefully, the Pi will help here, encouraging people to write code that is sane, and keeps within sensible memory boundaries.
my current PC
https://i.imgur.com/lb8pHub.png
OK - I do use it to make videos and most of the other ones in the office are 16GB
when working in VS2015 / Photoshop / other stuff
windows will use it all and then some ...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

adun

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:43 am

I'm very interested in what the GPIOs are used for.
Is there a chance we get a list to see what has changed regarding B+ B2 ?
Especially for the BT/WIFI

RoyLongbottom

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:58 am

> At launch, we are using the same 32-bit Raspbian userland that we use on other Raspberry Pi devices; over the next few months we will investigate whether there is value in moving to 64-bit mode.<

If anyone is interested, I have benchmarked a Cortex-A53 based Android tablet with 32 bit and 64 bit compilations. Results of the same benchmarks run on RPi are included (Find T22). Some are more than twice as fast at 64 bits.

http://www.roylongbottom.org.uk/android ... hmarks.htm

bugsy_malone 666

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:14 am

Seems like the Pi foundation are getting the pi to tablet like hardware performance specs (most tablets have 1gb of memory and are 1300mhz quad core) and this is great. So people moaning about memory probably need to stop and think. Back in 1990 the average computer was in the 10-20mhz single core with about 8mb of ram tops, yet they still managed to do everything day to day!

What I found with web design since I was trained in 2000ish, is that nobody really thinks about the consequence of their product. So websites are full of huge pictures, lots of complicated code and stuff that generally kills off performance, I feel like people need to really work on their code and the Raspberry pi is the perfect tool to learn all about limitations and making things run like the wind on any device.

With this extra boost in power, I am wondering what it will run like emulation wise? I was thinking of a little project which revolved around using some old 2000 ish era windows software, so the question is will the Pi be able to emulate something like Windows ME/XP and run at those sort of speeds? My Pc at that time was about 1100mhz, single core and about 512mb of ram and I want to reproduce it so to speak. Alternatively would Wine work?

with this boost in performance also, will other OS operate on it like ubuntu and stuff?

Jednorozec

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:26 am

jamesh wrote:16GB in a desktop is absurd overkill
I've got 16GB in my Wheezy desktop. 6GB of that gets eaten up by VirtualBox running Win 7.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

poing

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:27 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
beta-tester wrote:is the onboard wifi able to do those fancy wifi stuff (hotspot, ad-hoc, accessPoint) there some other wifi chip sets has their problems with and may struggle?
https://www.broadcom.com/products/Wirel ... ns/BCM4334
OK, I read it but still don't understand whether the Pi3 onboard WiFi will be capable of acting as a WiFi access point? Will it?
Thanks!

gregeric

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:34 am

BCM43XX SoftAP Functionality Application Note wrote:FAQ
Q: Are there specific Broadcom WLAN chips that can support SoftAP operation?
A: Although this documents focuses on specific ships, all Broadcom devices can be configured for SoftAP operation.

lb

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:37 am

I think the question whether the WiFi hardware can do this is rather moot (also, is there any non-ancient WiFi hardware that actually lacks Soft AP capabilities?). The question is: does it *actually work in practice*? Because the best hardware is useless when the driver is lacking the feature, or when there are bugs spoiling the fun.

hippy

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:41 am

Pimoroni say "We've redesigned our Pibow case to provide more venting, a place for installing a heatsink if you really want to push your Pi". In the Users Manual submitted to the FCC it says "This product should not be overclocked as this may make certain components very hot. This product should be operated in a well ventilated environment and should not be covered".

Are there any details on what temperatures should be expected from a Pi 3 and the best way to deal with any thermal issues there may be ?

I also noted the Users Manual states "This product shall only be connected to an external power supply rated at 5V dc, and a maximum current of 1500 – 2000 mA".

Elsewhere I have seen mention of 2.5A supply. Can someone clarify the power requirements / limits. Is the micro USB power connector even rated for 2.5A ?

Return to “General discussion”