bantammenace2012

Reputation management

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:18 am

Happy birthday RPi.
Wow, what a weekend for those grinding the rumour mill.
Surely we've all prematurely burrowed into a well wrapped present and then quickly tried to re-wrap it in the hope that no-one will notice we've been peaking ? That's how I felt on Saturday when I hastily downloaded the Sonic-Pi essentials guide complete with MagPi 43 front page picture. When I tried to download it again on Sunday evening the offending page was no longer included. Perhaps its all been a dream ?
Even paranoid organisations have inadvertent leaks of this kind so I suggest that the RPi Foundation shouldn't bother getting their knickers in a twist and should continue with the radio silence. I'd wager that a few of the celebrity faces have been reminded of any non-disclosure agreements they will have signed, after all no-one wants to be excluded from the inner-circle do they ? I would be interested to see which celebrity bloggers are free of brewers tie ?

btw. this is ALL written in jest as I have no wish to add myself to or to be added to the list of RPi non-persons.

There is one ethical point that I would like to make however: Some companies/people have a commercial interest in the success of RPi and they appear to have successfully endeavoured to form symbiotic relationships with RPi. Friendships and networks will naturally have been formed and there's nothing wrong in that per se.
One question I ask though is how much of an inside track do these people have and does this limit the extent to which new entrants can come to the party ? Also are these companies/people essentially thralls kowtowing to the foundation, perhaps too timid to say what they think/know ?

Here's to the next four years.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Reputation management

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:54 am

I think it's mostly a case of the mods playing whack-a-mole all weekend, even on threads that were NOT referencing outside news sources. Personally, I think the RPF should just admit that the cat has well and truly clawed its way out of the bag and just ask that certain things not be discussed pending official news.

stderr

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:58 am

bantammenace2012 wrote:One question I ask though is how much of an inside track do these people have and does this limit the extent to which new entrants can come to the party ? Also are these companies/people essentially thralls kowtowing to the foundation, perhaps too timid to say what they think/know ?
I'm always reminded of the Mule from Asimov's Foundation series.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:44 am

stderr wrote:
bantammenace2012 wrote:One question I ask though is how much of an inside track do these people have and does this limit the extent to which new entrants can come to the party ? Also are these companies/people essentially thralls kowtowing to the foundation, perhaps too timid to say what they think/know ?
I'm always reminded of the Mule from Asimov's Foundation series.
Just be careful what musical instruments you allow into his hands....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:07 am

There are specific 'reasons' why the Foundation's own forum is playing whack a mole, to do with maintaining their own radio silience until launch time, to ensure they keep the moral high ground. Simple as that. It's a pain, but necessary.

You can fill yer boots now!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

W. H. Heydt

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:16 am

jamesh wrote:There are specific 'reasons' why the Foundation's own forum is playing whack a mole, to do with maintaining their own radio silience until launch time, to ensure they keep the moral high ground. Simple as that. It's a pain, but necessary.

You can fill yer boots now!
Yup...saw the blog. Congrats all 'round. Sorry to have put you mods to the trouble (I did *try* keep a couple of threads off talking about the leaks...and once it actually worked. What's your position on ponies?)

Pithagoros

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:21 am

It was all a bit daft really, apart from the usual suspect (The Register) where it was the most read story, it was all over social media, the front page of the next MagPi was leaked, people had received their Farnell publications with all the details on Friday so you didn't even have to look at the FCC docs.

Anyway, mine is ordered. If there is a build of Raspbian that takes advantage of 64 bit then I'm a step closer to being an ARM only shop. Thanks Pi folks!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:37 am

Pithagoros wrote:It was all a bit daft really, apart from the usual suspect (The Register) where it was the most read story, it was all over social media, the front page of the next MagPi was leaked, people had received their Farnell publications with all the details on Friday so you didn't even have to look at the FCC docs.
I wouldn't argue to hard with that. Although the Farnell leak broke on Saturday; FCC was Friday but didn't include the price or the number of bits.
As jamesh said, there were reasons that we had to keep cracking down other than to keep the secret.

BMS Doug

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:14 am

Now I have a reason to be happy about the awful service I have received from Pi-Supply, I'll cancel my outstanding order (since November!) for two Pi2's and get some Pi3's instead (from a different vendor, I'm never dealing with them again).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Pithagoros

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:15 am

A quote also says that "It will go on sale for $35 (£30) and a "few hundred thousand units" will be available on launch day from online stores." - BBC

Might help to explain a few things about availability of certain other projects.

jamesh

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:51 am

Pithagoros wrote:A quote also says that "It will go on sale for $35 (£30) and a "few hundred thousand units" will be available on launch day from online stores." - BBC

Might help to explain a few things about availability of certain other projects.
Quite, although that won't stop some people from whinging. Very shortsighted people. People who are full of good ideas that would bankrupt the Foundation within months. Those people.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:52 am

I would like to know which semi-conductor company dropped the ball so there was not enough P3 for release ;) :D
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:42 am

RaTTuS wrote:I would like to know which semi-conductor company dropped the ball so there was not enough P3 for release ;) :D
There should be plenty to go around, I think multiple 100k's were made. Zero's are a different kettle of fish altogether.

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:59 am

jamesh wrote:
RaTTuS wrote:I would like to know which semi-conductor company dropped the ball so there was not enough P3 for release ;) :D
There should be plenty to go around, I think multiple 100k's were made. Zero's are a different kettle of fish altogether.
300k available today
but in http://thepipodcast.com/the-pi-podcast- ... ben-upton/ @ 13:15 or so eban suggest there where some issues

Covfefe

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:10 am

I wonder whether the latest batch of Zeros went out because of those difficulties with the parts supply for Pi3. Every cloud has a silver lining.

I did a little calculating a couple of weeks ago. Assuming that the Zeros had been stopped for the Pi3, I concluded that there would be 200 to 250 thousand Pi3s. Of course that doesn't take into account any production that didn't impact the Zero. I'd say I nailed it. 8-)

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:13 am

rurwin yeah ;-p
100k / week
good call

Covfefe

Jednorozec

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:14 am

jamesh wrote: Zero's are a different kettle of fish altogether.
I thought that there was something fishy about the availability of Zeros.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

Pithagoros

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 am

Zero is still the most important for me, whilst the Pi3 will supplant my Pi2B for desktop duties, zeros are still favoured for embedded projects until such time as the Model A 3 that Eben alluded to appears.

jamesh

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:24 am

Pithagoros wrote:Zero is still the most important for me, whilst the Pi3 will supplant my Pi2B for desktop duties, zeros are still favoured for embedded projects.
And therein lies an issue. The Zero is a great board, but the use cases are fewer than the Pi3 (less people use them for embedded projects than people use Pi'2 for desktop projects), so the Pi3 needs to be given priority. Shame for those who want Zero's, but there is only so many boards that can be made per week. I think the surprising popularity (to me certainly) of the Zero has thrown a few calculations out!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:42 am

I'm building an embedded device at the moment. The board I have chosen is the second one I bought and that never before came out of it's wrapper because I immediately bought an upgraded revision. It's so old it has fuses on its USB ports. (Its older brother is already sitting in a robot.)

I said a long time ago that you can do things with a $25 computer that would be a "teeth-sucking decision" with a $100 computer (which was all we had before the Pi -- more like $150 actually) such as sending it up in a balloon. A $5 computer will similarly open a whole lot more possibilities.

Jednorozec

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:37 am

I'd like to get a Zero if Adafruit ever has any but I'm not sure what I would use it for. My current project needs WiFi and ethernet might be nice so a Pi 3 is a much better choice.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Yeah - sorry guys. Just to explain:

We had nearly 100 newspapers/websites/broadcast media journalists under embargo. They all had to respect that embargo, and if *we* had broken it we'd have broken all of those relationships. And unfortunately ALL of our website comes under the category of "we", so that includes the forums.

We're also under contract with sellers and resellers to hold embargos - that means the forums too.

Thanks very much, the vast majority of you, for understanding; many of you sent some very nice PMs over the weekend. And for the very few of you who sent rude PMs and emails to me and the other mods...yeah. Thanks. You made a stressful weekend *so* much better. :roll:
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

JRV

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Does this explain why the link to the article at The Register that I posted asking "Is this for real?" was taken down?

Douglas6

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:13 pm

JRV wrote:Does this explain why the link to the article at The Register that I posted asking "Is this for real?" was taken down?
Yes.

Heater

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:31 pm

liz,

I can see that must have been stressful. I have to say though that it was kind of amusing from out here. Mods playing whack-a-mole with an endless stream of posters who think they were the first to see the register article or FCC pages.

I can't imagine what any anyone had to get personal and rude about in the face of such good news. Old hands, anyone who has known the Pi for more than a day should have understood what was going on and why.

Well done everyone involved in this great new PI I say.

On the bright side, you have an even more stressful weekend coming with the Pi party :)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “General discussion”