grayfox386

Re: tinycore port to raspi

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:00 pm

you guys should contact the people that make tinycore and see about them maby porting it to raspi there site is http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/welcome.html
though its only on x86 as far as i know so you might find out if it can be ported cuz its a very small simple linux at around 10 meg in an .iso and thats with a gui could be a cool project

Nexy

Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:46 pm

What would be the advantages of this over any of the other distributions that are already in progress? It\'s primary selling point appear to be it\'s size but I don\'t see that as being a significant benefit on the Pi when the smallest practical SD card is 1GB. Am I missing the obvious? It\'s definitely an interesting project but I don\'t see it as providing anything much over a minimal install of Debian ARM. I think the effort in porting would be better spent elsewhere, perhaps there are lessons to be learnt from their efforts though. Please don\'t take that as discouragement from porting it yourself or suggesting it to the Tiny Core team. :)

grayfox386

Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:30 pm

the goal of it was to have a simple linux gui that would be easy for people to pick up and i think it may have a speed advantage over other distros that and there was quite a lot of people talking about it on the tinycore fourms like i said it might be a cool project if anyone wants to take it up

abishur

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:36 pm

I think ultimately its going to be up to the makers of the distro to create a port for the r-pi rather than the other way around.

From a logistical stand point, the r-pi team has already put in a lot of hard work making sure that a couple of distros work with the r-pi (not that they made them compatible in the first, place, but that they found an ARMv6 compliant distro and made sure it worked). From that point on, they have a distro they can claim to officially \"support\", going out of their way to try and get each and every distro one of us end-users desires in an increasingly demanding task!

I mean, it\'s not like people went to Intel and said \"make your processor apple compliant!\" (well, they probably did, but Intel didn\'t do it :P ) but rather apple said, \"Okay we\'re going to make our OS Intel compliant.\"

Which is the right and appropriate way for things to work, the OS (and peripherals) must make themselves compliant with the heart of the computer (the processor) ;)

It\'s not that the distro you\'re suggesting is bad or redundant, it\'s just not reasonable for us to want the r-pi team to do all the foot work If you really want that distro than by all means get on the distro\'s forums, ask for an ARMv6 version of the distro, or make the distro ARMv6 compatible yourself. :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

david13lt

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:52 pm

I am using it for a couple months for getting some Linux related tasks done on my local machine. The main advantage of TinyCore is it being very small. The memory footprint is extremely low, it has lightweight windows manager and it runs, boots, shutdowns extremely fast. It definitely would run *very* fast on R-P comparing to the other distros.

electrodacus

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:11 am

TinyCore is mostly Kernel about 10MB total size I used TinyCore on a Pentium 166Mhz 32MB RAM with no problem so it will work nice on raspberry since the A model only has 128MB RAM.
As for model B with 256MB RAM will still be at the edge with large distro. I used to have a PIII 700MHz with 256MB RAM without swap and it was a challenge the only one that worked great was DreamLinux a Brazilian Linux distro based on Debian.

Josh

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:58 pm

[quote]Quote from electrodacus on November 19, 2011, 06:11
TinyCore is mostly Kernel about 10MB total size I used TinyCore on a Pentium 166Mhz 32MB RAM with no problem so it will work nice on raspberry since the A model only has 128MB RAM.
As for model B with 256MB RAM will still be at the edge with large distro. I used to have a PIII 700MHz with 256MB RAM without swap and it was a challenge the only one that worked great was DreamLinux a Brazilian Linux distro based on Debian. [/quote]

DreamLinux? More like NightmareLinux...

Return to “General discussion”