tech-mech
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:51 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Contact: Yahoo Messenger

Windows Wordpad replacement

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:54 pm

I have a file I want to still use with Wordpad but edit it on my Pi. I do not want to use a full word processor because of load time. Also I do not want to reformat the file.

Any suggestions?

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10993
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:55 pm

vi

asandford
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:30 am

If you want to edit on windows, use notepad++ as it won't add extra control characters that linux will object to (as well as many other nice features).
W. H. Heydt wrote:vi
Although I use it umpteen times a day, I wouldn't inflict it on my worst enemy.

DirkS
Posts: 9961
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:49 am

asandford wrote:If you want to edit on windows,
Op wants to edit the doc on the Pi...

DirkS
Posts: 9961
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:50 am

tech-mech wrote:I have a file I want to still use with Wordpad but edit it on my Pi. I do not want to use a full word processor because of load time. Also I do not want to reformat the file.
Is it a text or an RTF document?

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10993
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:00 am

asandford wrote:If you want to edit on windows, use notepad++ as it won't add extra control characters that linux will object to (as well as many other nice features).
W. H. Heydt wrote:vi
Although I use it umpteen times a day, I wouldn't inflict it on my worst enemy.
It's not like it's all that hard to learn enough vi commands to do most editing. The more advanced commands are of more use with files formatted with the ms (and related) macro set for *roff programs. You can get by pretty well with less than a dozen commands.

asandford
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:03 am

DirkS wrote:
asandford wrote:If you want to edit on windows,
Op wants to edit the doc on the Pi...
Yes, I did read that bit, but they still want to edit with wordpad (a windows editor), so I suggested they use notepad++ instead.

asandford
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:10 am

W. H. Heydt wrote: It's not like it's all that hard to learn enough vi commands to do most editing. The more advanced commands are of more use with files formatted with the ms (and related) macro set for *roff programs. You can get by pretty well with less than a dozen commands.
No, it's not hard, just very hostile. The OP should stick to leafpad. If IBM ever ported XEDIT and REXX, I'd be very happy (I know there are forks, but I want the whole 3270 experience).

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10993
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:10 am

asandford wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: It's not like it's all that hard to learn enough vi commands to do most editing. The more advanced commands are of more use with files formatted with the ms (and related) macro set for *roff programs. You can get by pretty well with less than a dozen commands.
No, it's not hard, just very hostile. The OP should stick to leafpad. If IBM ever ported XEDIT and REXX, I'd be very happy (I know there are forks, but I want the whole 3270 experience).
Having done command level CICS programming, I can quite happily live without further "3270 experience".

ghodan
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:05 am

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:50 am

gedit or nano ?

gedit = Text editor in your desktop environment (pre-installed on rasbian)
nano = Text editor in command line interface

User avatar
morphy_richards
Posts: 1603
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:26 pm
Location: Epping Forest
Contact: Website

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:56 am

joe
sudo apt-get install joe (it's fairly tiny, size wise)
Only commands you need to remember are
Ctrl-c : quit without saving
Ctrl-k-x : quit and save
Ctrl-k-h : helpfully list of all the other commands you might ever need in letter box at the top of the terminal.

ghans
Posts: 7874
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:13 am

I think people forget that Wordpad works as WYSIWYG word processor for RTF and MSWord documents - and the only tools which
are comparable are therefore Abiword , the Open/LibreOffice Writer and TED (RTF only ?) :

Code: Select all

wget http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/editors/ted/ted-2.23.src.tar.gz
tar -zxvf ted-2.23.src.tar.gz
cd Ted-2.23
sudo ./apt-get-prerequisites.sh
ln -s freetype2 /usr/include/freetype
make 
sudo make install
ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

User avatar
Forrrge
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:07 am
Location: Gateshead, UK.

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:19 am

Searching around Geany was mentioned as a good replacement for notepad ++

Another option for a minimalist word processor is FocusWriter.

mattmiller
Posts: 2112
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:21 am

I recommend setting up Samba on your Pi and then using Notepad++,as others have suggested, to edit the file on the Pi over your network

pUnK
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:40 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Windows Wordpad replacement

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:51 pm

You can use ExaGear Desktop + wine to run original windows Wordpad.

But ExaGear Desktop is not free.
ExaGear Desktop - run x86 apps on Raspberry Pi
pUnK from Eltechs

Return to “General discussion”