jarreboum

Re: How powerful this little thingy is: bsnes?

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:43 pm

So we saw various videos showing 3D games and other extensive applications. This one, bsnes is a Super Nintendo emulator which claims to be the most accurate and thus requires a very powerful machine. As I (we?) don\'t know the fullest extent of the capabilities of the embedded ARM processor, I was wondering if this kind of software which relies heavily on processor computation would be able to run on a Raspberry Pi.

For the record I am planning to use a Raspberry Pi in conjunction with a Retrode to make my own perfectly legal old-school gaming device. And it will teach me how to compile stuff.

stuartreid1975

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:51 pm

a single raspberrypi arm capabilities at under 1ghz..
astrometrics 100%
but \'\'the algorithms in use are important..\'\'

see this is the stuff david \'\'actually wants\'\' the kids to develop..

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:54 pm

bsnes won\'t run well as by my understanding even the lowest accuracy mode requires a fairly beefy processor (remember, the Raspberry Pi is a 700Mhz ARM11). A Snes9x-based port should do the job nicely though.

stuartreid1975

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:06 pm

but principally THEY use them for less demanding things =some sort of wii console?=
and embedded engine managment stuff..

stuartreid1975

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:26 pm

personally i prefer it unplugged to half of what THEY do with them.. but mum knows best?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:34 pm

@StuartReid1975

Afraid you are going to have to be a little more clear in your posts - I have no idea what you are getting at!

As to performance, as a comparison, the 3D performance of the OpenGL is better than the current gen Wii. Going via emulation will slow things down a lot, unless the emulator can use the OpenGL libraries.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

reallynotnick

Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:22 pm

[quote]Quote from jamesh on November 17, 2011, 13:34
As to performance, as a comparison, the 3D performance of the OpenGL is better than the current gen Wii. Going via emulation will slow things down a lot, unless the emulator can use the OpenGL libraries.[/quote]

Really? Does that mean if someone were to develop from the ground up a 3D game for the Raspberry Pi it could look as good if not better than a Wii game? Because that would be pretty impressive.

As for BSNES, I wouldn\'t worry about having the most \"accurate\" emulator running on this. Stuff like SNES9X and such will run great on this, you\'ll just be missing some of the small glitches that the SNES had. Honestly if you really want a 100% authentic SNES experience I suggest buying an actual console and some cartridges.

mkopack

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:19 pm

Well, keep in mind that the consoles are nowhere near as powerful in terms of raw hardware as modern desktop machines...

For instance, the Wii (which was the least powerful of this current gen) has the following hardware specs (from Wikipedia):

Processors:
CPU: PowerPC-based \"Broadway\" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly clocked at 729 MHz[124]
GPU: ATI \"Hollywood\" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[125] reportedly clocked at 243 MHz[124]

Memory:
88 MB main memory (24 MB \"internal\" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB \"external\" GDDR3 SDRAM)[126]
3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer.

The Processors\' specs:

90 nanometer process technology
Power Architecture core, specially modified for the Wii platform
IBM silicon on insulator (SOI) technology
Backward compatible with the Gekko processor
729 MHz
32-bit integer unit
64-bit floating-point (or 2 × 32-bit SIMD, often found under the denomination \"paired singles\")
64 KB L1 cache (32 KB instruction + 32 KB data)
256 KB L2 cache
2.9 GFLOPS

The GPU\'s specs are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... processors

If you compare those specs with other AMD/ATI GPU\'s you see that it\'s not as powerful as the Radeon 1900XT cards that were common in PC\'s at that time, and are HORRIBLY outdated by today\'s PC standards.

So, yes, purely hardware wise, you should be able to make games that look at least as good as the Wii, but this assumes a lot of talent, and also depends on how much overhead there is in the OS + libraries used.... The advantages of the consoles is that they typically have a very thin layer between the game and the hardware, since they don\'t have to support general purpose use - the OS on them is tailored to run games and run them fast.

jarreboum

Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:44 pm

[quote]Quote from reallynotnick on November 18, 2011, 19:22
As for BSNES, I wouldn\'t worry about having the most \"accurate\" emulator running on this. Stuff like SNES9X and such will run great on this, you\'ll just be missing some of the small glitches that the SNES had. Honestly if you really want a 100% authentic SNES experience I suggest buying an actual console and some cartridges.[/quote]

For the experience I have some cartridges that I will use with the Retrode. No more roms in my computer! Snes9x is gradually integrating some of the improvements of bsnes, thanks to byuu but there is still a long way to go. Some examples of innacuracies that can ruin the game experience http://byuu.org/bsnes/accuracy .

Anyway I was curious at how far the Raspberry Pi would go in term of raw power, and I think an emulator can be a good scale for that.

[img]http://www.retrode.org/wordpress/wp-con ... ollers.JPG[/img]

Return to “General discussion”