VipeRsan

TheWege - next Kickstarter scam?

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:28 pm

It looks like some one trying to sell RPI2 as TheWege and it's all on Kickstarter :shock:

weissjd

Re: WTF?! TheWege - next Kickstarter scam?

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:46 pm

Very resourceful. I reported it to Kickstarter, they prohibit reselling existing products. They could have at least photoshopped out the RPi logo :)

Jednorozec

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:48 pm

$79 for a Pi2 with case, power supply, sd card & wifi dongle is quite a rip off!
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

scotty101

Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:57 pm

Reported too. Suggest anyone else who can be bother do the same.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Heater

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:13 pm

Good grief. Not even straight enough to mention it is a Raspberry Pi. Or that they did not develop anything except their logo.

Not only that they reserve the right to change the guts for whatever they like.

Pithagoros

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:15 pm

8 backers!

There's always at least one.

jojopi

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:49 pm

"All of the hardware and software are open source"!

I look forward to seeing their schematics.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:05 pm

I reported it as well.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks for the pointer folks (and for reporting) - we're all killing ourselves laughing about the whole thing. It's a bit...brazen, don't you think?

Has anybody else watched the video?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

chrisoh

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:25 pm

liz wrote:Thanks for the pointer folks (and for reporting) - we're all killing ourselves laughing about the whole thing. It's a bit...brazen, don't you think?

Loved how the unexpected cute girl announced how "expensive" it is, really sold it :lol:
Amazed that there were backers already, friends and family I can only imagine.
Raspberry Pi 3 model B Idle @ 250mA
  • HDMI +200mA
  • Minecraft 1.9 Server +100mA
  • 2.4Ghz dongle +20mA

stderr

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:31 pm

liz wrote: It's a bit...brazen, don't you think?
Certainly the problem is that it includes a pi in the product, as the Pi People don't oppose using pi parts in pi derived products, right? It's just that it's silly because it is just a pi with a case and that's supposedly a new product, right?

mathboy4life

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:38 pm

liz wrote:Thanks for the pointer folks (and for reporting) - we're all killing ourselves laughing about the whole thing. It's a bit...brazen, don't you think?

I really thought the video was hilarious I was asking myself has anyone else saw the video.

hippy

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:45 pm

scotty101 wrote:Reported too. Suggest anyone else who can be bother do the same.
On what grounds ?

It doesn't seem like value for money to me but it doesn't seem that different to other kickstarters like Kano which were basically a Pi and other bits.

karrika

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Poor girl. Trying to be so cute and professional while standing in the middle of all the junk. The whole thing is hilarious.

scotty101

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:55 pm

hippy wrote:
scotty101 wrote:Reported too. Suggest anyone else who can be bother do the same.
On what grounds ?

It doesn't seem like value for money to me but it doesn't seem that different to other kickstarters like Kano which were basically a Pi and other bits.
Projects must be honest and clearly presented.
The project isn't honest or clearly represented. They don't mention at all that they are ripping off a raspberry pi and just repackaging it.

Kano were developing new app and a scheme for young kids to follow. This is just a pi in a box with default hardware and software
Last edited by scotty101 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:56 pm

stderr wrote:
liz wrote: It's a bit...brazen, don't you think?
Certainly the problem is that it includes a pi in the product, as the Pi People don't oppose using pi parts in pi derived products, right? It's just that it's silly because it is just a pi with a case and that's supposedly a new product, right?
The problem is that you aren't supposed to offer as a reward something which you do not produce yourself (but how far do you take that?). One does therefore wonder how Kano got away with it, but at least they made their own case and packaging and did some tweaks to the OS.

When we did HDMIPi we were prevented by KS staff from including a Pi in any of our rewards (although loads of other people before and since have done it).
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Heater

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:30 pm

So how does one report this to kickstarter?

I log in, I hit the report button, then I have some check boxes to click on. I check the "Intellectual Property Violation" option. Then nothing. There is no "submit" or whatever button.

What to do?
Last edited by Heater on Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blaablaaguy

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:46 pm

LOL! What is this guy playing at? Where did he get the name from anyway? "The Wege..."
This signature intentionally left blank.

Jednorozec

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:48 pm

I think that it's going to be made out of pretzels not pies. Take a look at http://www.wege.com/ :lol:

GTR2Fan

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:50 pm

Gotta love the guy's logic though! Using a coin for scale that only around 0.5% of the world's population are likely to have ever seen. :D
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

hippy

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:52 pm

alexeames wrote:The problem is that you aren't supposed to offer as a reward something which you do not produce yourself (but how far do you take that?).
Indeed. Most products will contain something someone else has produced. Quite a few IoT Kickstarters seem to be nothing more than other people's products thrown together to create 'a solution' of sorts, or just a way to package someone else's product; wooden box PC's and the like.

I was struggling to see how this Kickstarter was actually misrepresenting what was on offer. Anyway, it seem the project has clarified their use of the Pi.

Heater

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:09 pm

That is a nice update.

"Our pro-type is currently using "raspberry pi 2" but we have not yet decided what hardware will be used in the shipped product. "

OK, good. Which leaves the problem that you have no idea what machine you will actually end up with. Or operating system.

What support will you get?

Actually, is there any component of this deal that is firmly specified?

Jednorozec

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:20 pm

Heater wrote:Actually, is there any component of this deal that is firmly specified?
The logo on the case?

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Their page has been updated since I first saw it. Now they claim that the prototype (or, as they say, "prot-type") is using a Pi2B, but the production units might use something else. What they don't mention is that they would probably have to redesign the case if they do that.

Still if you add up the *retail* cost of the various bits they're including, it's not all that overpriced: Pi2B $35, Edimax WiFi dongle ~$10, B/T dongle maybe $10, PSU a bit less than $10, microSD card about $5 and most plastic cases go for about $10 for a total of around $80. Obviously, by buying in even modest volumes, those prices can be brought down so their cost is probably somewhere between $50 and $60. Once you take KS charges into account, they will probably get about $75 per basic pledge, so perhaps a profit of around $20 per unit to cover assembling the the units. Nice work if you can get it, but they're not going to get rich on it.

stderr

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:42 pm

Heater wrote:"Our pro-type is currently using "raspberry pi 2" but we have not yet decided what hardware will be used in the shipped product. "
OK, good. Which leaves the problem that you have no idea what machine you will actually end up with. Or operating system.
What support will you get?
Actually, is there any component of this deal that is firmly specified?
I wonder how far you can go with this on Kickstarter:

Join us in building the NextGeneration nuclear reactor Mars robotic lander mission*. It's solar powered! Fly into Space and visit distant planets! Learn whether or not humans are alone just like you are in the X-Files!! Show off your Scully wig and your Fox Mulder necktie to your friends!!!

*Whether or not the final shipping product will include a nuclear reactor, robotic lander, actual wig or tie has not been determined. Product might not be solar powered. Product might be a picture of a product. Product might be a picture of a model of a product. We might not deliver anything, but just keep your money.

Return to “General discussion”