flameboy5073

Powered USB Hub?

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:45 pm

I have bought a powered USB hub. 5v 2A. When The hub is plugged in and connected only to the USB port on my pi the power light comes on. Can someone confirm this is a safe way to power my pi and will it work. The hub says it works with linux.

Jim JKla

Re: Powered USB Hub?

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Use a USB cable from the hub to power the RPi via the micro usb and then use one of the normal USB ports to control the hub.

and plug your Keyboard and mouse into the hub

I am using a belkin 7 port hub this way with no issues
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

crastinblack

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:12 am

Hi, interesting thread - this is exactly what I'm after.

I'm looking to buy a powered USB hub to power my RPi. I see that you've verified that your hubs can provide enough power for the RPi, might I ask what the model numbers are of your hubs please?

Many thanks,

Richard

campi

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:23 am

I had a similar "backfeed" from my USB hub. I suspect it could be bad for the Pi, and so I cut (and insulated) the red wire in the usb cable from the USB socket on the Pi to the "IN" on the hub. That should prevent backfeed and the supply isn't needed as the hub will only ever be run with the power adaptor connected.

Campi

Jim JKla

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:31 am

Hub = Belkin F5U010
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

CCitizenTO

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:42 am

I had a crap hub at first and it was one that reportedly leaked current back to the Pi.

So if your keyboard is not working and the RPi seems laggy and slow on command line that could be symptoms of current leakage as I figure leaking current also interferes with signals sent from peripherals connected by that way.

Return to “General discussion”