dpawson

Re: Buying cables in preparation....

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:43 pm

So in a couple of weeks (or so!) I'll have a pcb.
How can I prepare, as far as cabling goes please?

Power. Ideally I'd like to use a mains (240) to usb,
Screen. Not a clue. HDMI? What cable to buy please?
I have a digital monitor available (or nicked pro tem).
kbd: I'm assuming usb kbd will suffice?

Just to get the 'customers' ready for launch day...
Or is another way of working expected? SSH over ..?

Easiest for software development is my goal.

TIA Dave

obarthelemy

Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:48 pm

The wiki has the specs of all the ports and input: http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard

dpawson

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks for the link. ... Looking at the variety of prices, good chance
to raise income? Basic cable set?

dpawson

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:41 pm

http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiB.....ut_Options etc 'indicates'
the interface type.

Perhaps the guys here could provide a definitive list of what works 'easiest'
out of the box (cable box?), just to make sure those unfamiliar with the
terminology (e.g. me) don't go buying the wrong cables by mistake?

Just a thought.

Dave

Bacan

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Quote from obarthelemy on November 16, 2011, 15:48
The wiki has the specs of all the ports and input: http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard
I thought the wiki is talking about the Alpha card, with no confirmed info on the parts in the BOM for production.

Just to confirm with the R-Pi Gods and Goddess. ( Do we have Goddesses?)

The HDMI connector in the BOM for the planed released for manufacture,
is the same as the one used on the Alpha board,
which is the same as in the Wiki?

Or am I jumping the gun by asking this question.

abishur

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:56 pm

With the exception of the PSU the connectors on the Alpha are the connectors on the final (well, they're talking about using a different 3.5mm audio jack, but the only thing that affects is giving you a higher quality audio jack) :) There may be a model difference in the end on the connectors used, but standards will still be the same.

That's an accurate and definitive list. I'm not sure where you're getting the impression that it's only "indicating" what options there are. Could you please elaborate so we can clear up any confusion is on the wiki?

If it's just a matter of wanting help to pick a cable, it's really all dependent on what you have available and choosing the appropriate solution listed in the wiki based on what's available to you :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Bacan

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:02 pm

Wanting to check, so I and others know for sure.

So a HDMI cable connector is a HDMI cable connector, is a HDMI cable connector?
The cable has the grabbie / squeezie arm-like parts, and the socket on the card has the slots/notches that the arm-like tabs grab?

I don't know. I'll claim ignorance on this subject.

When it comes to VGA cables, RS232 cables, RCA patch cords and 110 three prong a/c cords I'm rich; on HDMI poor in cables and knowledge.

abishur

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:35 pm

On HDMI there are several different versions. Later versions are backwards compatible with earlier versions so (at this point in time) you can't go wrong getting the latest version. Well, it will cost more money, but it won't hurt anything. The r-pi is HDMI 1.3a so if you want to max the bang for you buck, buy an HDMI 1.3a cable. It will let you use all the HDMI 1.3a features, but won't cost you for features you can't use (for example HDMI 1.4 can do networking)

Bacan

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:49 pm

Thank you for getting me ready for my R-Pi, with the quick class in HDMI purchase guidelines.

Others should find it helpful as I just did. {Writing into my Santa List the notes on cable needs. :-D }

jacklang

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:53 pm

Beware of low spec HDMI cables.
We've had cables that can't transmit the full 1080p signal and the autosensing on the TV gets confused

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:53 pm

I'm not going overboard with new cables and gadgets. I've an inexpensive HDMI cable that connects an HD Sat box to the TV perfectly adequately, so I've got another for the Pi. The ethernet cable will come out of the parts box. PSU will be a friend of the cheapo one which has been charging my phone for the past year and the USB A/USB Micro cable was 75p (inc carriage!) off Amazon (works fine for charging a Blackberry). Keyboard and squeaker will be whatever is lurking and currently unused. If I need it, there's an "old" powered Tevion 7 way USB 2 hub lurking in the cupboard too.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

dpawson

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:07 am

Quote from abishur on November 16, 2011, 22:35
On HDMI there are several different versions. Later versions are backwards compatible with earlier versions so (at this point in time) you can't go wrong getting the latest version. Well, it will cost more money, but it won't hurt anything. The r-pi is HDMI 1.3a so if you want to max the bang for you buck, buy an HDMI 1.3a cable. It will let you use all the HDMI 1.3a features, but won't cost you for features you can't use (for example HDMI 1.4 can do networking)

For me that is sufficient confusion?
I can't go on Amazon and look for 'an earlier' version?

So go on Amazon and look for HDMI - DVI cable and pick a mid price item (bearing in mine the later advice on avoiding the £.98 items)

What of the power cable? I don't want to power it from my pc,
any recommendations for a 240 - USB 'power' usb cable+plug please?

From Amazon:
Power: http://is.gd/XW3XaY What current required pls?The wiki still says 7.5v?
HDMI - DVI http://is.gd/HHAgbM 'mid'? price?
will they suffice please?

Rest are common enough cables

TIA

abishur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:08 pm

No you can go to amazing and look for an earlier version, but if you want to make use of the maximum potential of the r-pi's HDMI you need HDMI 1.3a.

If you just want to go from HDMI to DVI, don't worry about versions. I haven't seen any HDMI->DVI cable that boasts to be HDMI 1.x compliant

For the power, the spot you're looking at on the wiki is referring to actual power tested off the alpha boards. Before you scroll down that far there's a section called power adapters describing what to look for in a power adapter.

The long and short, however, is that when you're looking for a usb charger (or a phone charger) it needs to be:

1. micro-USB (not mini-usb!)
2. 5V (any USB phone charger or independent USB charger should be this)
3. 1A (1 amp) (Technically, the model A could get by on less than an Amp, but 1 Amp is a safe buffer and should also work for the model B as well, provided you're not trying to power a USB hard drive off the usb ports)

dpawson

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks Abishur. Getting there.
The micro vs mini is a cable issue, so the 'Apple', at 1A is fine.
The HDMI to DVI cable I linked to is spec'd at 1.3a so should be fine.

Got there in the end.

Tks Dave

abishur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:31 pm

No prob! Be sure to ask if you want some clarification on anything else :)

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:10 pm

I have a question if I may... this 1.3a spec HDMI cable? Have they been out for a while or are they something quite new? I do have a few shielded HDMI cables at home but I'm not sure if they conform to that spec.

abishur

Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:01 pm

1.3 came out in 2006, so unless you've had them a *really* long time or bought them unmakred off amazon/eBay, you've got good odds for having 1.3.

Check wikipedia for more detailed info on HDMI

Chris Tyler

Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Quote from abishur on November 17, 2011, 20:01
Check wikipedia for more detailed info on HDMI

Well... Wikipedia says:

Cable manufacturers are officially prohibited from marketing the cables by HDMI standard version (for instance "HDMI 1.4 cable"); the cables are distinguished by bitrate support only.

So it sounds like a cable shouldn't be labelled as supporting HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 (although many are labelled that way).

digital_addict

Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:47 pm

In a partial reply to Jongoleur's post of November 16.
It might be worth noting that if you are powering a type B, you you would require 2 output ports on your old Tevion, to cope with the amperage requirements. This probably wouldn't leave you much to do anything else with. I've seen a 7 port hub on e bay UK with a 3 amp power supply for £6.60 all in. To go with this, you would require a 2xA male to 1xA female Y cable of which I cannot source. To solve this problem, I suggest using 3 rewireable type A male plugs and a female to female adapter to make your own. There is a guy selling these plugs on e bay UK at £1.18 all in for 2, suggest you buy 2 packs. The search is “2 USB type A rewireable plugs”. Please note I am not the person selling either of these items. Obviously you will still require the type A male to micro cable, to connect to the unit.

abishur

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Quote from Chris Tyler on November 19, 2011, 21:21

Well... Wikipedia says:

Cable manufacturers are officially prohibited from marketing the cables by HDMI standard version (for instance "HDMI 1.4 cable"); the cables are distinguished by bitrate support only.

So it sounds like a cable shouldn't be labelled as supporting HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 (although many are labelled that way).

Yeah, I think it's kinda stupid to not let them put what version of HDMI it's compatible with. I get that they're trying to use bitrate to dictate what kind of cable it is, but seeing as how the bitrate is directly tied to the version of hdmi it is, it's like not being allowed to call a duck a duck!

Fortunately, no one enforces this rule and people sell version 1.3a cables :) (do make sure to get the 1.2 category 2 cables, also known as high speed cables, as they provide the full 1080p resolution)

FeersumEndjinn

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Beware of low spec HDMI cables.
We've had cables that can't transmit the full 1080p signal and the autosensing on the TV gets confused

I agree - I had a TV capable of doing 1080i - was bought in the beginning of the HD boom (£2, won in a raffle) and my PS3 was outputting mostly in 720p for games, 1080i for blu-rays.

I bought a 3D TV, and the cable I had simply wouldn't do 1080p, let alone 3D, it just wasn't capable of the required data-throughput. Ended up paying £70 for high quality 1.4 cable :(
Morrolan / FeersumEndjinn

"And the lord God said unto John, 'Come forth and receive eternal life', but John came fifth and won a toaster."

tech guru

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:50 pm

here is a power cable that looks like it should work for the a and b boards

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Char.....38;sr=8-14

Part #: 79H00095-14M / 79H0009514M / U250 / CNR6300
- Input: 100-240V 200mAh 50-60HZ
- Output: 5V-1A

dpawson

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Back on the HDMI (to dvi in my case).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI shows a number of variants on
the HDMI side.
Micro
Mini
*guess* full sized?

Refers to type C (mini) being defined in 1.3 of the spec.

"A Mini connector defined in the HDMI 1.3 specification, it is intended for portable devices. It is smaller than the type A plug connector (10.42 mm × 2.42 mm) but has the same 19-pin configuration. The differences are that all positive signals of the differential pairs are swapped with their corresponding shield, the DDC/CEC Ground is assigned to pin 13 instead of pin 17, the CEC is assigned to pin 14 instead of pin 13, and the reserved pin is 17 instead of pin 14."

At the Amazon page, the only reference to 'mini' seems to be wrt Apple connectors?
The more common ones seem to be 13.9 mm × 4.45 mm connectors.

What size is spec'd for the rpi please?

Dave

nullstring

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:52 pm

It uses a standard "full size" HDMI connector.

Honestly, I've had no issue with the cheap 2 for $2 HDMI cables that go on sale very so often, but if you want a quality cable, monoprice.com is the place to go. (at least for americans.)

dpawson

Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Quote from nullstring on December 5, 2011, 14:52
It uses a standard "full size" HDMI connector.

Honestly, I've had no issue with the cheap 2 for $2 HDMI cables

Is that from the alpha connector please?
Is it about 14mm wide?

Not the price, just the size I'm trying to understand (not seen on the wiki?)

Dave

Return to “General discussion”