FX4

Shipping backlog comming to an end?

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:29 pm

I ordered RPi two and three and Element 14 stated a three week wait. I thought, cool the first one took eight weeks. Five days later I'm notified they shipped. I'm pretty happy with the fast shipping time. I wonder if the backlog is pretty much filled now?

RockyF

Re: Shipping backlog comming to an end?

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Could be. RS originally gave me a shipping date of early September - but it arrived yesterday. :D

twocvbloke

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:48 pm

RockyF wrote:Could be. RS originally gave me a shipping date of early September - but it arrived yesterday. :D
But when did you order yours?

Vindicator

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Lob0426 ordered 2 more Raspi and they arrived a few days less than 3 weeks in California so it is definitely getting to a smaller wait time at Element14 in US.

His order from RS has been almost 2 months and he is still waiting and that does not include the time he waited to get the invitation to order from RS. (His order is showing to ship in September from RS)
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

Lob0426

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:28 am

Vindicator wrote:Lob0426 ordered 2 more Raspi and they arrived a few days less than 3 weeks in California so it is definitely getting to a smaller wait time at Element14 in US.

His order from RS has been almost 2 months and he is still waiting and that does not include the time he waited to get the invitation to order from RS. (His order is showing to ship in September from RS)
Correction it has been about a month and they are now saying 12 weeks up from 10 weeks.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

FX4

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:46 am

Did order from Element 14 or Allied? Allied is the one stating long lead times which is why did not order from them.

louisb

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:22 am

Does any body know how many Pi's have been shipped so far? I gather it is a bit more than the BBC micro ever shipped!

I am amazed how much all these hackers have done with such a low spec machine.

How does the number of pi's out there compare with the number of linux desktop users (eg Ubuntu). It must have a significant impact by now.

FX4

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:24 am

Last number I saw was a little over 200,000. I think there are a whole lot more Ubuntu users out there than RPis.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:17 pm

louisb wrote:Does any body know how many Pi's have been shipped so far? I gather it is a bit more than the BBC micro ever shipped!
The number "in the wild" was quoted as being around 200K in June, and production rate of 4K per day, so it should be in the 300-350K range by now, depending on how many days per week that 4K applies to.
How does the number of pi's out there compare with the number of linux desktop users (eg Ubuntu). It must have a significant impact by now.
That's a lot harder to figure... Linux is estimated to have around 1% of the PC market. Since the total market is somewhere over 100M per year, call it 1M Linux systems per year. If you take a conservative estimate of a 3 year lifespan for any given machine (I tend to be an outlier to long end, I suspect), that'd make it 3M Linux systems that can be classed as "PCs".

Then you have to determine what fraction of those are running Ubuntu...

Overall it looks like Pis *might* account for something like 5-10% of all non-server Linux systems. Of course, that means a larger fraction of Ubuntu systems, since people run other distros.

In the long run, at the proposed 1M Pi units to be produced per year, the Pi has the potential to double the number of Linux systems floating around in private hands. Or one could be optimistic and hope that those that learn enough Linux to get by using Pi (regardless of age) will gravitate to using Linux on their "normal" desktops as well, thus boosting the number of "Linux PCs" in use...

FX4

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:41 pm

I follow your math but I think 5-10% RPis is extremely optimistic. I think another aspect you are not considering is that a lot of PCs get a second life as Linux boxes because the hardware to run it is a lot less intense than Windows. The actual quoted number for Linux systems is 1.41% as of January 2012 with 3.48% of Internet traffic. Embedded systems muddy the water even further because most use some form of Linux. Ubuntu stands at the top of the desktop heap by quite a large margin. I have no idea what that margin is but just about everyone I know that runs a Linux desktop chooses Ubuntu these days.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:29 am

FX4 wrote:I follow your math but I think 5-10% RPis is extremely optimistic. I think another aspect you are not considering is that a lot of PCs get a second life as Linux boxes because the hardware to run it is a lot less intense than Windows. The actual quoted number for Linux systems is 1.41% as of January 2012 with 3.48% of Internet traffic. Embedded systems muddy the water even further because most use some form of Linux. Ubuntu stands at the top of the desktop heap by quite a large margin. I have no idea what that margin is but just about everyone I know that runs a Linux desktop chooses Ubuntu these days.
I didn't want to go near estimates of embedded systems, nor of servers or other "enterprise" uses.

My "5-10%" was based on the estimate of a 3 million Linux PC embedded base (which is, as you note, probably low) and the guesstimate of 300K+ Pis in the wild. I think the 10% end is a bit of a stretch at the moment, and even the 5% might be a bit high...but it's hard to ignore the fact that 300K Pis is probably in the right ballpark... Being more conservative might bring the range down to 2-5% of the installed Linux "PC" base being Pis, but it's only going to grow over time. After all, the projected production rate for the Pi on an annual basis is approximately equal to the estimates of the total number of new Linux PCs being set up now...thus *doubling* the number of new Linux machines in operation each year. Thus, the Pi installed base should asymtotically approach 50% of "PC-ish" Linux systems. Think about what the installed base of Pis is going to be like if schools and school children adopt the Pi on a large scale....

reiuyi

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:22 pm

FX4 wrote:I follow your math but I think 5-10% RPis is extremely optimistic. I think another aspect you are not considering is that a lot of PCs get a second life as Linux boxes because the hardware to run it is a lot less intense than Windows. The actual quoted number for Linux systems is 1.41% as of January 2012 with 3.48% of Internet traffic. Embedded systems muddy the water even further because most use some form of Linux. Ubuntu stands at the top of the desktop heap by quite a large margin. I have no idea what that margin is but just about everyone I know that runs a Linux desktop chooses Ubuntu these days.
Are the web traffic figures based on "users" visiting web pages?

Because as far as I know, Linux is still preferred over Windows and OSX when it comes to servers. I can only imagine that Linux produces the vast majority of web traffic when including servers.

I'm not sure what you meant by "embedded systems", though. Thin clients and similar terminals running linux will still identify themselves as Windows machines because their application host is often a Windows server 2003/2008 machine with some form of Internet Explorer installed due to its scalability.

The number of Raspberry pis sold so far seems quite low if you think about it, but I think many people and corporations have been hesitating due to early-bird issues, software compatibility and the enormous waiting list. Surely, looking at the worldwide raspi distribution ( http://www.rastrack.co.uk/ ), I still see an enormous concentration in the UK and generally Western Europe. For example it currently says there's 11 listed raspberry pis in Japan, 85 in New Zealand, 13 in Chile, 200 in California.. What I'm saying is that (although these numbers are not representative of the "real" distribution), the numbers are very out of balance. I'd like to see a point where I can just walk into my local electronics store and pick up a raspberry pi for a decent price, just like I can pick up a boxed arduino with the same ease.

I hope that the raspis continue to sell good so the foundation gets their share of the money for investing it back into educative projects. That's what part of the money was originally for, after all! I wonder if the Uptons got their house back, anyway.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:53 pm

reiuyi wrote: I'm not sure what you meant by "embedded systems", though.
Set top boxes and routers are two examples of "embedded systems". In some cases, the device is running Linux, but the OS is never exposed to the casual user. Unless you're trying to change the OS in some way, you would probably be completely unaware what OS your router is running, and--for many people--you might be unaware that it *is* running an actual OS.

lewmur

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:00 pm

reiuyi wrote:

Because as far as I know, Linux is still preferred over Windows and OSX when it comes to servers. I can only imagine that Linux produces the vast majority of web traffic when including servers.
y.
Servers don't "visit" other web sites. The statistics come from sites that check what OS is being used by the "visitors" to their sites. Still highly inaccurate, IMO, because the sites doing the measuring can influence what OS is being used by the people who use their site. For instance, if a "security company" is doing the measuring, very few Linux users are going to show up. :lol:

RockyF

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 pm

twocvbloke wrote:
RockyF wrote:Could be. RS originally gave me a shipping date of early September - but it arrived yesterday. :D
But when did you order yours?
Hi twocvbloke. I expressed an interest on 18 March.
Was invited to order 20 June.
Ordered on 22 June and was given 10 week dispatch date.
But it only took 6 weeks from order date. :D

RockyF

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:24 pm

I've just read the posts since my previous and my penduntilmate posts and I think that it has gotten above me.
I thought the post was about us getting our pi's quickly to use them - it's a bit exciting.
I like my pi and I'm playing with it. The quicker we get them the better but sometimes we just have to wait. 8-)

widelord

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:47 am

Ordered my second Pi on Friday morning (3rd August) from Farnell and have just received an email stating that it has been shipped :)

FX4

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:19 pm

reiuyi wrote:

I'm not sure what you meant by "embedded systems", though. Thin clients and similar terminals running linux will still identify themselves as Windows machines because their application host is often a Windows server 2003/2008 machine with some form of Internet Explorer installed due to its scalability.

The number of Raspberry pis sold so far seems quite low if you think about it, but I think many people and corporations have been hesitating due to early-bird issues, software compatibility and the enormous waiting list. Surely, looking at the worldwide raspi distribution ( http://www.rastrack.co.uk/ ), I still see an enormous concentration in the UK and generally Western Europe. For example it currently says there's 11 listed raspberry pis in Japan, 85 in New Zealand, 13 in Chile, 200 in California.. What I'm saying is that (although these numbers are not representative of the "real" distribution), the numbers are very out of balance. I'd like to see a point where I can just walk into my local electronics store and pick up a raspberry pi for a decent price, just like I can pick up a boxed arduino with the same ease.

I hope that the raspis continue to sell good so the foundation gets their share of the money for investing it back into educative projects. That's what part of the money was originally for, after all! I wonder if the Uptons got their house back, anyway.
1. I believe the Internet number is derived from DNS quires.
2. An embedded system is a task specific OS designed for a specific function. The GPS in my truck is a good example of an embedded system. The underlying OS is pure Linux but you would never know it.
3. The RPi would make a good thin client but I don't think that is the target for most of these boxes. It's a light thick client. Thin clients can certainly run an embedded OS and there is not reason the RPi can't be set up this way.

JMTHey

Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:40 pm

I am concerned about my order - invited 25 June, ordered 28 June, no signs of the Pi yet
RS did say 11 weeks, but some of the posts imply more recent orders have been fulfilled.
Any suggestions?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Has anyone counted Android devices? They run Linux....There's apparently quite a few of them around.

/ducks and runs
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:01 pm

This thread has deviated far from its original subject! :D

Farnell now says if I order today I can expect my PI in three weeks.

If I order any part from farnell, it is usually delivered the next day!
So I guess there is still a backlog of sorts.

reiuyi

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:55 am

mahjongg wrote:This thread has deviated far from its original subject! :D

Farnell now says if I order today I can expect my PI in three weeks.

If I order any part from farnell, it is usually delivered the next day!
So I guess there is still a backlog of sorts.
There must still be a backlog, I can't imagine them having half a warehouse full of raspberry pis and only dispatching them 3 weeks after receiving an order :D

I wonder if they'll have some stock for the educational release.. I can only imagine a sudden rush of demand for a starting curriculum. Which makes me wonder if 4k/day production is at all enough for such temporary periods. Anyway, I have no call in that, fortunately!

itimpi

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:17 am

I think the quoted lead times by Farnell are now just a worst case in case there is any interruption to supply or any unexpected spikes in demand. They seem to be shipping now within a day or so of the order being placed.

JMTHey

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Just received an email from RS - delay of a further 4 weeks - why are they so far behind Farnell who seem to be able to ship sooner? I should have ordered from them, but had a misplaced sense of loyalty!

Ed Raket

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:26 am

I ordered from Farnell and RS at the same time, im using the Pi from Farnell for a couple of months now while i just recieved an email from RS that there's will take longer due to a shortage of the processor . RS now hopes to deliver in october.... :?

They siriously got things wrong over there...

Return to “General discussion”