JimDod

sub-forum request - Perl

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Any way to get Perl pulled out of "other languages" and have its own topic under "programming"? I find it difficult to follow the Perl posts when intermixed with the "others".

Currently the Perl folks are using a single Perl topic with many sub-topics inside.

accguy

Re: sub-forum request - Perl

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:02 am

I second this request.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 am

I'm not convinced it's necessary. There are lots of Perl specific forums out there, and Perl on the Pi is no different to Perl anywhere else. We are also trying not to have exponential growth of forum subtopics. That said, we do keep an eye on this sort of thing, so if there is a overwhelming need for it....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

reiuyi

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:09 pm

It felt a bit silly to see a Python forum but not a Perl forum. Those languages are like brother and sister. In many institutions, Perl is still a nice introductory languages into programming, because it's so easy and the commands are quite literal. It was the first language I got to learn :D. I hate a lot of aspects of the language, and I think it's vastly inferior to Python, but it's nice for batch processes I guess. I usually have some Perl script running somewhere in this house to do a repetitive task

gordonendersby

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:42 pm

A perl sub forum would be a good idea.
Most of the internet and server farms are held together by perl on linux.
Im sure there are more lines of perl out there than python.
Im working on something on my raspi at the moment talking to an arduino and I wouldnt want to use anything else than perl as its so flexible and ideal at handling serial comms and text.

Gordon

accguy

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:29 am

jamesh wrote:I'm not convinced it's necessary. There are lots of Perl specific forums out there, and Perl on the Pi is no different to Perl anywhere else. We are also trying not to have exponential growth of forum subtopics. That said, we do keep an eye on this sort of thing, so if there is a overwhelming need for it....
If perl is no different on RPi, then why are so many people having issues getting modules installed? Seems that their is a whole lot of difference, and perl is a great language to learn.

jackokring

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:59 am

Perl, sed, awk, bc, dc, find, grep would be fine I think to most pearli. Perl is quite modern with a reputation for not being relevant for anything but string transformation and parsing problems. There is no reason why some of the problems can not be solved on a Pi. Even the C language would not be be like today, without lexx, yacc, flex and bison.

Cheers Jacko
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

reiuyi

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:30 pm

jackokring wrote:Perl, sed, awk, bc, dc, find, grep would be fine I think to most pearli. Perl is quite modern with a reputation for not being relevant for anything but string transformation and parsing problems. There is no reason why some of the problems can not be solved on a Pi. Even the C language would not be be like today, without lexx, yacc, flex and bison.

Cheers Jacko
Perhaps a strange place to say this; but I disagree that Perl is a modern language. Seriously, try open a file with a unicode symbol in its filename (like ⑨). Trust me, perl cannot open a file which has non-ansi characters in it, it's just that old. The GUI (TK) is ugly as sin and I personally find it a lot more difficult to work with compared to other languages. In my personal opinion, Perl development got stuck decades ago and the pace never picked up again. The obscure methods of getting CGI-bin (with Perl) to work has scared many people away to PHP, ASP or other interpreted languages.

A very strong point of Perl is the BioPerl modules. These things are hugely popular and helpful in the field of sciences and biostatistics. A lot of research would not be possible without BioPerl. And from personal experience I must say that perl is very forgiving :D! You can pile beginner's mistakes on beginner's mistakes and the scripts will still run as intended, magnificent!

jackokring

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:39 pm

reiuyi wrote: Perhaps a strange place to say this; but I disagree that Perl is a modern language. Seriously, try open a file with a unicode symbol in its filename (like ⑨). Trust me, perl cannot open a file which has non-ansi characters in it, it's just that old. The GUI (TK) is ugly as sin and I personally find it a lot more difficult to work with compared to other languages. In my personal opinion, Perl development got stuck decades ago and the pace never picked up again. The obscure methods of getting CGI-bin (with Perl) to work has scared many people away to PHP, ASP or other interpreted languages.
At one point in time perl was the only cgi-bin gateway and cgi-bin was the only way of web interaction. Tk does allow customization of the look and feel of the Tk toolkit. Try 'man tk', and maybe 'wish' as a default shell instead of bash for a while. The tk folks were interested in building controls and tools, which worked, and not in the later pixmap alpha blend tart that achieved lack of a work flow.

Also try 'man Tcl_Init' and note Tcl/Tk is at version 8.5.
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

Return to “General discussion”