Adrianfu

Just bought my second Pi 2

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:28 am

I am addicted...... I have just bought my second Pi2. The first one is now sat next to my stereo amp tuning into internet radio complete with LCD screen. Too much static and other interference to listen to 'normal' radio. Too many solar panels and solar companies are not interested in fixing so internet is it.

Adrian

W. H. Heydt

Re: Just bought my second Pi 2

Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:14 am

Congrats, but 2 Pis is not an addiction. Now if you had 20 Pis, then we could discuss a possible addiction.

gordon77

Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:20 am

Adrianfu wrote:I am addicted...... I have just bought my second Pi2. The first one is now sat next to my stereo amp tuning into internet radio complete with LCD screen. Too much static and other interference to listen to 'normal' radio. Too many solar panels and solar companies are not interested in fixing so internet is it.

Adrian
Congratulations!

First l've heard of solar panels interfering with radio. Is it AM, FM or DAB?

alphanumeric

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:48 am

Two model 2's here also. One dedicated to a bread boarding setup I have and the other is a Media Center. They can be addictive. I also have a B+, A+ and a Zero.

Adrianfu

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:54 am

Ok its the start of an adiction
Interference in only on AM radio and my HF radio gear

Adrian

jahboater

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:28 am

Adrianfu wrote:Ok its the start of an adiction
Four Pi2's, two Pi Zero's, two B+, one B - older ones given away to schools.
Perhaps the interference is down to the switching regulators?

Adrianfu

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:49 pm

jahboater wrote:
Yes it is the switching regulators. 3 neighbours installed solar one is 'dirty' . I have checked with a portable radio and have lots of interference from only 1 install .

Adrian

W. H. Heydt

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 am

Adrianfu wrote:
jahboater wrote:
Yes it is the switching regulators. 3 neighbours installed solar one is 'dirty' . I have checked with a portable radio and have lots of interference from only 1 install .

Adrian
I don't know about Australia, but in the US interfering with broadcast transmission is illegal. In the US, one could notify the FCC and the offending part would get a little visit from some men in suits telling him to shut it down until it's fixed. My father once did that to a neighbor with an improperly shielded Ham Radio rig that was bleeding into the TV broadcast band.

mung

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:49 am

I thought rpi had full EMC testing otherwise it would not get CE mark?

gordon77

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:31 am

mung wrote:I thought rpi had full EMC testing otherwise it would not get CE mark?
It does, and that covers emissions from it but that isn't the issue here.

startrek.steve

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:06 am

Adrianfu wrote:I am addicted...... I have just bought my second Pi2. The first one is now sat next to my stereo amp tuning into internet radio complete with LCD screen. Too much static and other interference to listen to 'normal' radio. Too many solar panels and solar companies are not interested in fixing so internet is it.

Adrian
Was it much work adding the touch screen?
I'm currently running a similar setup on Picore with my phone as the remote control and the media being served on Logitech Media Server on my main PC in the loft. It would be nice to control totally from the Pi.

Steve
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

bugsy_malone 666

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:58 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Congrats, but 2 Pis is not an addiction. Now if you had 20 Pis, then we could discuss a possible addiction.
I have an A, 2x B, 2x B+, Pi2B and a Zero, which for some reason each time i see older A and B models cheap on ebay I kind of snap them up wanting to make good use of them for the next project.

A fair few projects going on in my house at the moment!

Havent really found an advantage to having more than 1 Pi2B yet mind as it didnt seem that much faster, but maybe I havent used to for the right thing yet?

Adrianfu

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:32 pm

startrek.steve wrote:

Adrian
Was it much work adding the touch screen?
I'm currently running a similar setup on Picore with my phone as the remote control and the media being served on Logitech Media Server on my main PC in the loft. It would be nice to control totally from the Pi.

Steve
Dont have a touch screen just a 20x4 LCD with 2 push buttons to change radio stations. It is still on a breadboard at the moment look ugly but works. This is the one I used but will be putting one together using an OLED (MagPi issue 35) when they arrive.

http://usualpanic.com/2013/05/raspberry ... net-radio/

Adrian

GTR2Fan

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:52 pm

bugsy_malone 666 wrote:Havent really found an advantage to having more than 1 Pi2B yet mind as it didnt seem that much faster, but maybe I havent used to for the right thing yet?
They really come into their own if you give them some serious work to do. I've been compiling recently following someone else's instructions where they said to be prepared for a 1 hour wait on a stock-clocked Pi Model B whilst compiling. It took just a little over 7 minutes on the overclocked Pi2B in my sig. Many games and console emulators also benefit significantly from the additional cores and extra RAM, as do media centre OSes such as OSMC, and to a lesser extent, OpenELEC.

They're also bordering on acceptably fast as a general purpose PC for some users. The extra performance of the quadcore CPU really shines through when running multi-threaded browsers and such. The extra RAM helps here too. The overclock on mine has taken it from bordering on acceptable to being a full-time replacement for my vastly more powerful 3.6GHz quadcore Intel-based PC for everything apart from heavy-duty gaming. The amount it's saving on the electricity bill means that it'll have paid for itself in just over one year. :D
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Return to “General discussion”