StampyShortKnows

Re: Raspberry Pi Supplied SD card

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:33 pm

alphanumeric wrote:Ok, I guess for NOOBS its a different procedure. https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/ I didn't know that unti now, having never used NOOBS myself. I have had issues writing images with one particular USB Micro SD card adapter, so maybe it is you card reader?
Thanks for your advice Alpha,

I've tried 2 card readers, 2 formatting programmes, loaded Noobs/Raspbian onto conventional 8gb SD card no problem, turned the PI over to find it only takes Micro cards. Sitting here with a Raspberry SD card that doesn't work and a useless PI and a 9 year old who can't use his Christmas present - I won't be recommending Raspberry to my nearest and dearest.

BR Stampy

malicious

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:38 pm

Denngray wrote: here are the instructions from Ubuntu's website.
Re-size file system
There are no utilities included for automatic file system re-sizing. However,
it's not hard to do manually. Once booted:

`sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0`
Delete the second partition (d, 2), then re-create it using the defaults
(n, p, 2, enter, enter), then write and exit (w). Reboot the system, then:

`sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2`
This isn't correct for Raspbian due to a quirk in its partition layout. Raspbian's partitions typically look like this(post ext4 expansion):

/dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 131071 122880 60M c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 131072 125302783 125171712 59.7G 83 Linux

If you create a partition and let fdisk choose the beginning sector, it will use 2048 and create a partition using the free sectors from 2048 to 8191. One would need to specify 131072 - the sector Raspbian's ext4 partition starts from by default - to expand the partition properly. In other words: n, p, 2, 131072, Enter, w.

As an aside, why does Raspbian start the FAT partition at sector 8192 instead of 2048?

alphanumeric

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:43 pm

@ StampyShortKnows

The original Model A Pi used full sized SD cards. Everything after I believe used Micro SD cards. This isn't meant in a derogatory way, but you need to do your homework and know what your buying. Don't let one little slip up spoil your fun. Get yourself a Micro card and have at it. I've had a lot of fun with my Pi's. I have 5 now. Two model 2B's, a B+, A+ and a Zero. My personal favourite OS is Raspbian Wheezy, which fits on a 8 gig Micro SD card. I just bought a SanDisk 8 gig class 10 card, and my Pi flies with it. Much faster that the Kingston budget card I was using.

prioryjim

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:49 am

StampyShortKnows wrote: This was a present for my 9 year old son from his uncle, and his first experience of coding is rapidly becoming tainted because there are so many issues which shouldn't be happening.
I wanted osmc on my pi, it worked first time.
See
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=134323&p=894354#p894354

DirkS

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:56 am

prioryjim wrote:
StampyShortKnows wrote: This was a present for my 9 year old son from his uncle, and his first experience of coding is rapidly becoming tainted because there are so many issues which shouldn't be happening.
I wanted osmc on my pi, it worked first time.
See
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=134323&p=894354#p894354
How is this related to the OPs problems?
And why are you linking to your post about MGP2 licences?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:33 pm

StampyShortKnows wrote: ...
I've tried 2 card readers, 2 formatting programmes, loaded Noobs/Raspbian onto conventional 8gb SD card no problem, turned the PI over to find it only takes Micro cards. Sitting here with a Raspberry SD card that doesn't work and a useless PI and a 9 year old who can't use his Christmas present - I won't be recommending Raspberry to my nearest and dearest.
BR Stampy
Pre-loaded NOOBS (and other) SDHC cards are often supplied as a uSDHC card + uSDHC-to-SDHC card adapter -
like A-C and L-V here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... cards.html
perhaps that's what you have?
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

prioryjim

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 pm

DirkS wrote: How is this related to the OPs problems?
The link was to post titled "Pi zero worked out the box" MGP2 was a comment in the post !
Jim

DirkS

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:43 pm

prioryjim wrote:
DirkS wrote: How is this related to the OPs problems?
The link was to post titled "Pi zero worked out the box" MGP2 was a comment in the post !
Jim
No, you linked to this
prioryjim wrote:Re licenses.
They send you a pdf to get your hopes up. But it says THIS IS NOT A LICENSE.
A bit like do not pass go do not collect £200.

BMS Doug

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:56 pm

As with most others I suspect that the SD card needs to be re-formatted in a camera, but if your SD card has failed you should contact your supplier for a replacement / refund.

Here is an example of one supplier dealing with exactly the same issue.

Despite having been purchased in a Raspberry Pi emblazoned box the SD card was not supplied by the Raspberry Pi foundation and therefore the Foundation are not the correct people to call upon for a replacement. Return the faulty card to your original supplier.

8GB micro SD cards normally sell for about £4, don't let one failed SD card spoil your Pi experience.

P.S.
The first SD card that you had, was it perhaps a micro SD card in a full sized SD adapter? I've had a few of those, they can fool you, look for MicroSD inside.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

StampyShortKnows

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:05 pm

Thank you for all your help advice, this is the only thing that worked (Partition Wizard didn't).

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... ally-again

I still maintain that it is very detrimental to the aim of getting young people interested in Raspberry Pi to provide hardware in the "Starter Kits" that is not fit for purpose, the whole thing very nearly went in the bin.

Whether it be the Foundation or the seller, the "Starter Kit" has to have been specified by somebody with a modicum of knowledge of the system requirements, and I am still very surprised I have not been contacted by somebody, Foundation/Seller/whoever to resolve this in an effective manner.

BR

Heater

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:26 pm

The solution is simple.

Download the latest Raspbian OS image. I'm sure you can find that on the Raspberry Pi pages.

Write it to an SD card using wins32diskimager http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

If you are on a Mac use whatever the download pages suggest.

Follow the instructions you will find there.

Job done.

Could we delete this NOOBS thing? It seems to cause more problems than it solves judging by the questions that come up here.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DirkS

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:02 pm

StampyShortKnows wrote:Whether it be the Foundation or the seller, the "Starter Kit" has to have been specified by somebody with a modicum of knowledge of the system requirements, and I am still very surprised I have not been contacted by somebody, Foundation/Seller/whoever to resolve this in an effective manner.
Did you actually contact the seller?
Just looked through your older posts but I can't figure out where you actually bought it...

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:15 pm

StampyShortKnows wrote:Thank you for all your help advice, this is the only thing that worked (Partition Wizard didn't).

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... ally-again

I still maintain that it is very detrimental to the aim of getting young people interested in Raspberry Pi to provide hardware in the "Starter Kits" that is not fit for purpose, the whole thing very nearly went in the bin.

Whether it be the Foundation or the seller, the "Starter Kit" has to have been specified by somebody with a modicum of knowledge of the system requirements, and I am still very surprised I have not been contacted by somebody, Foundation/Seller/whoever to resolve this in an effective manner.

BR

If he was not aware you had an issue, why would you expect the Kit Seller to contact you :? :?
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Navyscourge

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:29 pm

@StampyShortKnows

Do you still seem convinced that it is the Raspberry Pi Foundation that is at fault? You still have not said where you got the kit from. For the sake of others who are looking to get a Pi kit it would be nice if you could share that with us.

It would also be good if you could check and let us know what the instructions in that kit said. You said "After formatting with SD association formatter" in your first post. If it was a " '8Gb' Raspberry SD/micro SD card" that usually means it is pre-installed with some "bootable system". This is, again usually, the Raspbian Operating System or the NOOBS loader; both should just work, depending on how you connected it to USB keyboard, USB mouse and HDMI TV. If you did not have those, this might have been different. It would be useful to know this so we can check when others have similar problems.

Hopefully you are now the owner of a working Pi, and are learning great things with it

BMS Doug

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:43 pm

The seller has probably retired from business, once they got their crystal ball working they won the lottery multiple times in sucession.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

akalmani

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 am

Hello All,
We want to ship preloaded SD card with NOOBs with our application software on top of it, to our customers. Our software will be made open source. Can anyone give me a link or hint whether this is possible and there would be no violations of license breach.

Regards,
Avinash

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm

akalmani wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 am
Hello All,
We want to ship preloaded SD card with NOOBs with our application software on top of it, to our customers. Our software will be made open source. Can anyone give me a link or hint whether this is possible and there would be no violations of license breach.

Regards,
Avinash
You have posted on a very old thread. Probably best to contact info@raspberrypi.org.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”