StampyShortKnows

Raspberry Pi Supplied SD card

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi,
Received a new Model B V2 starter kit as a present with "8Gb" Raspberry SD/micro SD card.

After formatting with SD association formatter, it is only showing 812Mb capacity, not enough to transfer Noobs/Raspbian from download location to the PI.

Pretty annoyed the supplied Raspberry SD card isn't working, please say what I can do to enable it's full memory, or has it been supplied faulty?

Thanks,
Stampy.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi Supplied SD card

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:50 pm

Did you make sure to select "format size adjustment" when formatting?

StampyShortKnows

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Yes, only 812Mb available - corresponds to available size - Micro SD has 8Gb written on it - I'm missing a factor of 10 somewhere :shock:

StampyShortKnows

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:56 pm

Does anybody know please who/how I should contact at PI to supply non faulty card? contacts for this aren't obvious on ythe site.

Thanks,

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:22 pm

i'm sure you are mistaken, probably the format did not actually happen. try formatting in a camera.

B.Goode

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Two parts to this.

Firstly the technical. The card was probably supplied with the NOOBS Installer already installed, not empty/blank. If you examine the card only with the 'Explorer' (file manager) interface of a Windows system you will indeed see the card reported as having a capacity of just over 800Mb. Windows is being 'economical with the truth.' The card contains multiple partitions: Windows is only reporting on the size of the first Windows-compatible partition that it detects. There are more sophisticated Windows tools that will display all the partitions on the card and prove that the full 8G capacity of the card remains unaffected by this. It should be possible to restore the full capacity of the card by correct operation of the SDFormatter utility.

Secondly the legal. Hopefully the situation can be resolved and you won't need this. I am not a lawyer - you may need to seek qualified advice. The answer will depend on where in the world you live. In the UK it is unlikely you as the recipient of a gift have any rights against 'PI.' (By which I assume you mean the Raspberry Pi Foundation.) They did not supply the card. If there is a legal remedy it will be between the purchaser of the gift and the supplier from whom they bought it. If it can be proved that the card is faulty they would be entitled to seek a replacement or refund.

But I think it is likely that the card is just fine.

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:06 pm

StampyShortKnows wrote:Does anybody know please who/how I should contact at PI to supply non faulty card? contacts for this aren't obvious on ythe site.

Thanks,
The Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't sell SDCards. Even if you bought it from http://swag.raspberrypi.org it's not the RPF that fulfils those orders. The Raspberry Pi Swag store is a separate limited company (different legal entity) in partnership with Pimoroni.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

StampyShortKnows

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:47 pm

It came in the PI starter kit box, and it's got a raspberry printed on it, I think Raspberry Pi is my first port of call!

Basically, can somebody from Raspberry contact me to sort it out - is there any kind of customer service?
Last edited by StampyShortKnows on Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirkS

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:48 pm

StampyShortKnows wrote:It came in the PI starter kit box, and it's got a raspberry printed on it, I think Raspberry Pi is my first port of call!
No, it's the vendor that's your first port of call.

B.Goode

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:50 pm

Good luck.

Their email address is in the Contact Us section to be found at the foot of every page of the raspberrypi.org website.

StampyShortKnows

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:53 pm

DirkS wrote:
StampyShortKnows wrote:It came in the PI starter kit box, and it's got a raspberry printed on it, I think Raspberry Pi is my first port of call!
No, it's the vendor that's your first port of call.
Good God! I thought Forums were supposed to be sources of advice and help - this one seems to buck the trend!

StampyShortKnows

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:54 pm

B.Goode wrote:Good luck.

Their email address is in the Contact Us section to be found at the foot of every page of the raspberrypi.org website.
Thanks, B.Goode - main contacts seem to be PR etc rather than any technical help.

StampyShortKnows

Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:56 pm

mahjongg wrote:i'm sure you are mistaken, probably the format did not actually happen. try formatting in a camera.
Formatted via 2 different methods, both give no option to increase the memory size, when first put in the drive prompted to say the card needed formatting, suggesting there was no pre-installed data, thanks for your advice but I am confident it is correctly formatted.

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:13 pm

StampyShortKnows wrote:
B.Goode wrote:Good luck.

Thanks, B.Goode - main contacts seem to be PR etc rather than any technical help.
Correct. All of the technical help comes from the forum and you've chosen to ignore the experts who are trying to help you. Best of luck getting a refund/replacement. I'm outta here.

I suggest you read the October 2015 Consumer Rights Act because you're going in completely the wrong direction right now.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:44 pm

To explain Dougie's post more, your contract of sale is with the person who sold you the card, not the Raspberry Pi Foundation. You need to contact them if there is a problem. However, I suspect the card is probably OK, and you need to return to first principles and start again with the card.

This forum is the Foundation 'technical support'. It's 'staffed' by volunteers, and the breadth of knowledge on all things Pi related is huge. One reason the Foundation can keep the price of the Pi so low is that they don't have dedicated support lines. Pi prices would increase considerably if there were indeed dedicated lines.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:15 am

StampyShortKnows wrote:
mahjongg wrote:i'm sure you are mistaken, probably the format did not actually happen. try formatting in a camera.
Formatted via 2 different methods, both give no option to increase the memory size, when first put in the drive prompted to say the card needed formatting, suggesting there was no pre-installed data, thanks for your advice but I am confident it is correctly formatted.
I was saying this because I do not trust the card reader in your computer.
I'm sure its NOT correctly formatted, no formatted card would report this amount of free data. 812MB of free data points to the capacity of a partition, not of a complete card.

nbc12

Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:32 am

Are you sure your desktop/laptop os isn't being screwy? Windows will only show a partition if its compatible (ntfs, fat). Try using http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-par ... nager.html

HankB

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:01 am

Another option if you are running Windows is to look at the SD card with Disk Manager. (<Windows key>X) and choose disk manager. I'm looking at a 32GB SD card and Disk Manager shows a 127 MB FAT partition and a 29.69 GB partition. The Raspberry Pi boots from a FAT partition and the root partition is EXT4 which Windows does not understand. You can also download 'gparted' which can deal with partitions and file system formats other than Windows file systems. (I presume the Windows version can do this. I have only ever used it on Linux.)

Removable media like SD cards and USB drives can be formatted two ways. The entire drive can be formatted and this is the way they usually come from the factory. They can also be partitioned like a disk drive and the various partitions formatted as desired. SD cards prepared for use with the Raspberry Pi are partitioned and formatted. You cannot 'recover' all of the space by formatting the card. That will just format the existing partitions. You need to repartition or delete the partition table if you want to format the entire drive.

HTH,
hank

Denngray

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:21 am

StampyShortKnows wrote:Hi,
Received a new Model B V2 starter kit as a present with "8Gb" Raspberry SD/micro SD card.

After formatting with SD association formatter, it is only showing 812Mb capacity, not enough to transfer Noobs/Raspbian from download location to the PI.

Pretty annoyed the supplied Raspberry SD card isn't working, please say what I can do to enable it's full memory, or has it been supplied faulty?

Thanks,
Stampy.
What os did you install?
in raspian you can just expand the SD to recover unallocated space, with Ubuntu mate you can recover it from the bash command line.
here are the instructions from Ubuntu's website.
Re-size file system
There are no utilities included for automatic file system re-sizing. However,
it's not hard to do manually. Once booted:

`sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0`
Delete the second partition (d, 2), then re-create it using the defaults
(n, p, 2, enter, enter), then write and exit (w). Reboot the system, then:

`sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2`
Denn Gray Sysop of The Razz Pie BBS Telnet = razzpie.ddns.net:2300
port 2300 - Email me @ outwestbbs@gmail.com or denn@outwestbbs.com for any questions or advise on setting up Mystic BBS software. Website = razzpie.ddns.net

prioryjim

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:11 am

Just for info, UK Wilko are selling 16Gb micro SD cards, class 10 for £5.00.
Got one and it seems to work OK in my pi zero.
Jim

Gergmchairy

Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:40 am

The method I use to prep a new card in Windows (which hasn't been mentioned) open a command prompt;
Diskpart (return)
List Disks (return)
From this list note the id of the sd card (based on size of approx 8gb or 8192 mb)
Select Disk id (id from above)
Clean
Exit out

This will clear all partitions and allow you to start from scratch with a new image.

Good Luck

alphanumeric

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:48 pm

For Raspbian etc I just use the win32disk imager, as per here, https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... windows.md Then on first boot I do the expand file system option.

alphanumeric

Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:52 pm

Ok, I guess for NOOBS its a different procedure. https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/ I didn't know that unti now, having never used NOOBS myself. I have had issues writing images with one particular USB Micro SD card adapter, so maybe it is you card reader?

StampyShortKnows

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:24 pm

Denngray wrote:
StampyShortKnows wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
Stampy.
What os did you install?
in raspian you can just expand the SD to recover unallocated space, with Ubuntu mate you can recover it from the bash command line.
here are the instructions from Ubuntu's website.
Re-size file system
There are no utilities included for automatic file system re-sizing. However,
it's not hard to do manually. Once booted:

`sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0`
Delete the second partition (d, 2), then re-create it using the defaults
(n, p, 2, enter, enter), then write and exit (w). Reboot the system, then:

`sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2`
Thanks, will give it a go.

StampyShortKnows

Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:28 pm

prioryjim wrote:Just for info, UK Wilko are selling 16Gb micro SD cards, class 10 for £5.00.
Got one and it seems to work OK in my pi zero.
Jim
Thanks Jim,
I realise I'm being picky about this and could easily get another card - call me old fashioned but I expect items sold to me to work!

This was a present for my 9 year old son from his uncle, and his first experience of coding is rapidly becoming tainted because there are so many issues which shouldn't be happening.

thanks again, Stampy

Return to “General discussion”