pawlu

of Insengard Openelec OSMC issues

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:48 pm

I have Insengard/Kodi apps, OSMC and Openelec installed on, Raspberrypi 2B Orangepi Plus, an RK3188 based Chinese streaming box, and Laptop with win 10. On Raspberrypi 2 , unable install the apps, via the web browser.

I am having issues with the OSMC and Openelec installed on the Rasp.

A strange, annoying small, red and blue blinking bar , at the extreme right hand corner of the sctreen, (also present at boot and switch off on Raspian). The bar disappears in screen saver mode, but returns in any mode.

On Openelec, cannot adjust the date. The audio becomes distorted ( high frequency distortion and essing) at random- changing resolution from 1280 to desktop, resets the audio, but, it returns at random, and a reboot will clear, but at some time or another, it returns and has to do the same procedure again.

On OSMC, occassional crushes. The airmouse is sluggish on settings only. Same annoying blinking bar.

Insengard/Kodi app , installed on all my other devices is flawless. I am unable to instal the apps on Raspian, throu the web browser, as the kodi webpage points me to the OS, not the Insengard app.

Please do not suggest changing my power supply. I have heard that over and over again.
I have tested my various power supplies, by loading them with a 2.5 ohms resistor, and they all maintained 5 volts with a flowing 2 amps current for over 20 minutes, with no overheating.

Other fora suggested that its a hardware issue !

RaTTuS

Re: of Insengard Openelec OSMC issues

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:56 pm

pawlu wrote:....
A strange, annoying small, red and blue blinking bar , at the extreme right hand corner of the sctreen, (also present at boot and switch off on Raspian). The bar disappears in screen saver mode, but returns in any mode.
you have a bad PSU / power lead - it is not providing enough umph to run the system properly
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

pawlu

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:47 am

solved by changing the power lead.
Dry joint ?
What I cannot understand is how on earth the same psu, with the same lead, maintains 5v @2 amps with a 2.5 ohms resistor for 20 minutes , with no overheating !

The same defective lead was charging another device successfully !!

blc

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:04 am

pawlu wrote:solved by changing the power lead.
Dry joint ?
What I cannot understand is how on earth the same psu, with the same lead, maintains 5v @2 amps with a 2.5 ohms resistor for 20 minutes , with no overheating !

The same defective lead was charging another device successfully !!
Poor quality cables usually, rather than a dry joint. Poorer quality conductors in the cables mean higher resistive losses.

Other devices are more tolerant of lower voltages than the Pi is; when you charge your phone you're just charging your phone, you're not powering a USB bus at the same time like you do with a Pi.

pawlu

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:09 am

The defective lead is an original HTC given away with the HTC Desire mobil phone!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:37 am

We've seen that sort of thing before - to charge a phone battery, tolerances don't need to be as fine as they do to run a Pi. Glad you got it fixed!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

blc

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:55 am

pawlu wrote:The defective lead is an original HTC given away with the HTC Desire mobil phone!
Yep, mine are the same. The charger & cable for my HTC One X will cause a low-power warning on the Pi, but the charger and cable for my LG G3 works just fine. My HTC charger also works fine with a higher-quality MicroUSB cable.

The problem is that your phone doesn't need exactly 5v; it doesn't even need 4.75v (usually there's a 5% tolerance that USB devices should adhere to - in theory all USB devices should work between 4.75v and 5.25v). Assuming your phone uses a standard LiPo/LiIon cell, the charging circuit will supply 4.2v at most to the battery while it's charging. Of course it depends entirely on the charging circuit in question, but in theory it's entirely possible that the charger could output as little as 4.4v or 4.5v and this would still be OK for charging your battery.

When the first Pi models were released an awful lot of people started to realise just how slack some manufacturers were when it came to the spec on their products. Sure, a USB charger might say 5v 2A, but when you tried to actually draw more than 1A the voltage would drop like a stone and cables with high resistance would just exacerbate the problem. The situation is much better these days: the Pi models now have far better power circuitry and are more tolerant of poor quality power supplies. Where a modern Pi will show a low voltage warning an original Model B Pi board might temporarily lock up or simply reset itself.

Good quality power supplies are still critical though, so the advice is still the same as it was nearly 3 years ago: use a high-quality adaptor and high-quality cables.

As Liz said: glad you found at least one solution.

pawlu

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:25 pm

This psu issue reminds me of when I used to do servicing. We used to have psu giving the correct voltage but when loaded, there was half, or less current available due to faulty, leaky electrolytic capacitors, which when tested, were ok.

Meantime, I still have some minor issues:

Openelec:
Cannot set the local time. Stuck at 1st Jannuary 1972 1.20am.
Changing region and/or locale remains stuck. On reboot, remains stuck
Video resolution set to 1280x720. Audio gets distorted ( high frequency essing distortion) at random. Resetting by either a reboot, or set to Desktop resolution. Cannot understand what desktop resolution is ???
Airmouse performs adequately, but not flawless

OSMC:
Airmouse adequate, but more sluggish than Openelec

pawlu

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Yep, I am going back to my Orangepi plus, with Insengard installed on Android 4.4.2, with an Insengard startup , simply flawless !!

Return to “General discussion”