liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: We're recruiting!

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:40 am

The villages are much better, though (I live about 12 miles out) - and for my money, much NICER, too. Easy commute, too; we often cycle in in the summer.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:23 pm

OK, here's how we get you your next Director of Operations. I build a robot based on Pii, of course, and I use it via telepresence to attend meetings, visit everyone in their office warren pookas, and otherwise be a charming and likable fellow. Meanwhile, I perform the actual hard part of the job wherever I happen to be at the moment, tracking projects, squeezing budgets, and coming up with brilliant plans for further world domination by the Foundation. I come out to visit as necessary, appropriately muzzled to maintain social decorum and kept in a cheerful mood by being fed yummy treats (if I get into a bad mood, it's usually from working too long and not getting to eat when I should). You already pretty much know my dedication to The Cause and my qualifications (I may not have mentioned leadership of teams spread over the planet, management of projects in the high tens of millions of dollars range and being a federal certified financial and functional auditor), so I probably meet the qualifications, and I'll accept whatever salary others at that level of responsibility are earning.

The best part is that you'll be able to turn off the robot when its puns just become unbearable and you will only need to tighten the straps on the muzzle when I'm there in person to ensure my social skills remain intact. Oh, and the robot will be fitted on a Roomba robot vacuum cleaner base so it will perform a useful function at all times, unlike any other upper-level manager you might hire, and it will be able to return to its charging station unaided. I believe the Mary Clancy character played by Hayley Mills in "The Trouble with Angels" would declare this to be a "most scathingly brilliant idea!" I think so far outside the box that I need the Hubble Space Telescope to look back and be able to still see the box ... :lol:

I do have to say that being in on helping get all of the future Pi models Out There would convince me to move there and have the robot do things for me back here, and I love trains, biking, and any other way of getting to work than driving in traffic ... I would want to get back to the Valley once a month for the Jams though, and British Airways now has daily non-stop 787 flights between Heathrow and San Jose ... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Heater

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:30 pm

Edit: Sarcasm deleted.
Last edited by Heater on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Continue being sarcastic and things will happen. Not nice things.....
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Heater

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:45 pm

It's a fair cop texy. Sarcasm deleted.

Woll

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:58 pm

jamesh wrote:
Woll wrote:
jamesh wrote:The problem with Cambridge is the cost of housing (it's mental)
You can buy an ex-council flat, on a post first world war brick built council estate in the Elephant and Castle for £400,000. That's expensive.
Similar to Cambridge. Two up two down terraced house, no off road parking, £350,000-£400,000

It's ridiculous.
That's what I liked about Cambridge when I used to go up there. It's got an economy completely independent of London, based around the skills from it's universities. Everywhere else in the UK is London-centric. Cambridge is unique.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

Burngate

Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Woll wrote:Everywhere else in the UK is London-centric. Cambridge is unique.
Not sure that's true - the first bit, that is. The second may well be.

Having lived for eighteen years in Merseyside, then four in Leeds and another three back in Merseyside before venturing down to Surrey / Berks, and having had a sister who wandered round the country driving tanks and busses (Really? Yes - she was that sort of sister!) my impression of the rest of Britain is that everyone outside the M25 tries to ignore the black hole inside it.

Pithagoros

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Yes, London is a bit different as it seems to be a state all by itself, and is not so much English as it is an aggregation of the entire world. Most of the word's cities of similar status are like that.

Cambridge is very tolerable for me, as far as urban areas go.
"very tolerable" is an understated way of saying that I really love it, if only it wasn't for the faff of the park and ride.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Hey texy - I'm sure that Heater isn't being sarcastic since this topic is all about job openings and qualifications, and he would never, ever venture off-topic to be mean. Plus, he would be surprised to discover that I've never listed the majority of my qualifications on the forum (as hard as that might be to believe!). Most of what I posted in this thread is new information, but he's easily confused because he's an old fart - I know how that feels, because so am I! :roll:

As for the HST, it's been aimed in various directions ... but now he's deleted his post and I can't make a really great joke about the seventh planet out from the Sun. It's pretty cold there, hence his handle, apparently. :lol:

Heater - I learned a long time ago (yeah, in a galaxy far, far away, how did you guess?) to try to turn down the bias, because in the long run, I had nothing to gain. ;) The youngsters here who aren't EEs will have absolutely no idea what that means (and the ones who have only studied digital stuff may not, either), so you and I can discuss grid voltages and really confuse the heck out of 'em! Ohhhhhh, _now_ I get your handle! 8-)

Now that we're rapidly approaching the part of the U.S. political campaign season where votes are actually cast, I have to include the required " ... and I approve of the intended humo(u)r that wholly comprises this message."
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

Woll

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:36 pm

Burngate wrote:
Woll wrote:Everywhere else in the UK is London-centric. Cambridge is unique.
Not sure that's true - the first bit, that is. The second may well be.

Having lived for eighteen years in Merseyside, then four in Leeds and another three back in Merseyside before venturing down to Surrey / Berks, and having had a sister who wandered round the country driving tanks and busses (Really? Yes - she was that sort of sister!) my impression of the rest of Britain is that everyone outside the M25 tries to ignore the black hole inside it.
Most people in London would rather live somewhere else.
Who ate all the Pi's?

Woll

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:55 pm

I think what the RPF is doing is great, but I haven't got the skills to work in this field of work.
I'm currently bus driving and the technology for driverless busses could be 10 to 15 years away, so I'd need other work to see me to retirement.
New technology is set to be taking a lot of jobs in the near future so it will be interesting to see if playing around with Raspberry Pi's and Linux gives us (people affected by new technology) new careers. That's one of the reasons I've asked in another thread if there's any plans for further education.
I personally think the government would back it. This would be an interesting development.
The RPF are already modernizing the future workforce with IT skills, if they had a program for career change and development that would be excellent.
Last edited by Woll on Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who ate all the Pi's?

Heater

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:11 pm

England has a population of 53 million. It's already the second or third most densely populated country in Europe, if I can trust the article I read on this.

Never mind. With the demise of the coal, steel, ship building, electronics industries I have been wondering what on Earth everyone in England does for 20 or more years.

Somehow that crowded little island is not full of people starving to death. I just can't see how.

liz

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Service industry stuff. We turn out to be really surprisingly good at that as a nation, and a lot of other countries employ British firms to do services. Biotech too - there's also a lot more automotive than you'd think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_o ... ed_Kingdom is pretty interesting (I am way OT at this point, and apologise).

Heater

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:04 am

liz,
Service industry stuff
So it would seem.

That was Thatcher's plan back in the day. Basically she said we don't need to actually manufacture anything any more, we can live off services. Goodbye, coal, steel, ships, electronics etc etc.

OK, but what do the other 45 million people do who are not in banking, insurance, software engineering, chip design, etc, etc, etc.?

I really wonder how this all works.

Jim Manley

Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:20 am

Woll wrote:I think what the RPF is doing is great, but I haven't got the skills to work in this field of work.
I've asked in another thread if there's any plans for further education. The RPF are already modernizing the workforce with IT skills, if they had a program for career change and development that would be excellent.
Hi Woll - The Foundation's focus is currently mainly on primary/middle/secondary school-age students, but given the challenges in getting public school students up-to-speed on STEM subjects, the two-year/community/technical colleges/schools are becoming ever-more important in making up for that deficit. Some of us in education are working across multiple levels to ensure that there will be a workforce with the skills necessary to literally keep civilization going as the bow-wave of Boomers retires in ever-increasing numbers and automation continues to advance. Someone is going to need to keep all those self-driving vehicles maintained, repaired, and upgraded, not to mention electric power plants remaining on-line, telecommunications systems communicating, etc.

Things aren't very well organized as the democracy of the WWW means that anyone can publish anything right next to world-class content and there aren't any obvious single sources of curated on-line educational curricula. Yes, there are extremely high-quality sources of curricula from world-class universities that are available for at least browsing for free, and you can study most subjects at least at the class notes and video lecture level, using textbook-based content to augment such DIY studies.

Unless you're highly motivated though, it can be difficult to maintain the self-discipline needed to complete a course at a sufficient level of knowledge to be able to pass an exam, let alone an entire degree's worth. You won't know unless you try, so take a look at what interests you and drill down into what seems like you might be able to master, preferably something interesting. There's nothing worse than getting a degree in something you hate, but usually it's more a matter of how it's presented that makes a difference - a really good educator can make learning about sucking eggs completely fascinating.

I would recommend looking up E. O. Wilson's material on ants to see what enthusiasm about a subject can do (he's the world's expert on them as a Harvard professor emeritus of entomology, starting his studies as a boy observing them at a level of detail and breadth as no one else has). If you have access to an iPad, download and peruse the free chapters of his amazing iBook multimedia extravaganza, "Life on Earth".

Douglas6

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:58 am

Yeah, OK, ants. The world needs doctors, lawyers, politicians, service workers, and poets too. Let's not assume that a need for technicians equates to everybody needing to be a technician.

Woll

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:09 pm

Heater wrote:liz,
Service industry stuff
So it would seem.

That was Thatcher's plan back in the day. Basically she said we don't need to actually manufacture anything any more, we can live off services. Goodbye, coal, steel, ships, electronics etc etc.

OK, but what do the other 45 million people do who are not in banking, insurance, software engineering, chip design, etc, etc, etc.?

I really wonder how this all works.
A lot of British industries became more expensive than foreign imports, and as a result the workforce has had to adapt.
Britain pioneered the free market economy and people like Adrian Smith wrote about it in his Wealth of Nations books.

Everyone shops at retailers that stock items cheaper. Lidl and other discount retailers are taking market share from the big four UK retailers as a result. Even threads on this forum have been complaining about sellers on eBay selling Pi Zero's at marked up prices.

As a free market economy, it's only natural that if produce can be found cheaper, then that becomes the natural supplier. Britain begun to use gas fired power stations in the 80's at a time when it was cheaper to generate electricity with gas rather than coal. As a result the cost of electricity was cheaper for the consumer.

The thing is everyone has to adapt to the changing times, or get left behind. I'm expecting a career change as new technology advances. It's a fact of life.

I don't understand why all this Thatcher bashing. She modernized Britain. Where the fifth biggest economy in the world largely due to the reforms during the 80s. Before her Britain was called the Sick Man of Europe.

Britain is still a leader in electronics. ARM Holdings is a British company. They just largely design products as that's there speciality, while others make their products cheaply as that's there speciality. And the consumer gets cheaper products, because that's what they want.

Not forgetting we have record employment for a generation, Britain's doing well.
Who ate all the Pi's?

davidcoton

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:16 pm

Woll wrote: Britain pioneered the free market economy and people like AdrianAdam Smith wrote about it in his Wealth of Nations books.
FTFY
Signature retired

Burngate

Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:48 pm

Woll wrote:Britain begun to use gas fired power stations in the 80's at a time when it was cheaper to generate electricity with gas rather than coal. As a result the cost of electricity was cheaper for the consumer... ...I don't understand why all this Thatcher bashing. She modernized Britain. Where the fifth biggest economy in the world largely due to the reforms during the 80s. Before her Britain was called the Sick Man of Europe.
It was a bit more complicated than that.
A gas-fired power station could be built quicker, which kept the bankers happy, but also it could be started and stopped much quicker. That meant they could be used for the high-value peak loads, leaving the coal-fired stations to handle the low-value base-load.

But the killer, for Thatcher, was that it removed the miners from their position of power. She disliked the unions, and particularly disliked the miners, though the dock-workers came in for a bashing, and the TV industry suffered from her ministrations.

But I won't go any deeper into it.

liz

Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Folks - this is partly my fault, but this is WOEFULLY off-topic. Can we get back to the topic in hand please?

Jim Manley

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:59 pm

Douglas6 wrote:Yeah, OK, ants. The world needs doctors, lawyers, politicians, service workers, and poets too. Let's not assume that a need for technicians equates to everybody needing to be a technician.
Hey Douglas6 - I'm not sure what the bent of your response was, but it seems like you're in favor of education being about more than just bits and other technologies. I mentioned Wilson's work not so much because of the ants (although the parallels he draws between ant colonies and, arguably, "higher" forms of "civilizations" - witness this forum, as an example(!) - are worth the read), but to provide an example of what can be done to make more-than-just-interesting what would otherwise be boring dreck. A _LOT_ of STEM curricular material is just that kind of coma-inducing stuff (sleep just doesn't adequately describe the impact!) - just look at some of our blather here ;). It's really challenging to get teenagers in a comprehensive high school (that means we have to serve everyone from severe special education cases to Einsteins-in-the-making) who aren't already hard-core geeks to pay any attention to what we're trying desperately to convey.

I had a conversation with a young lady in a computing class just today who doesn't even want to be in our HS, let alone the IT Academy because she wanted to attend another HS with a culinary program and learn baking. I told her that there are waaaay too many other young ladies ... and gentlemen ... who want to do exactly the same thing, hence the reason there weren't enough openings in the HS with the culinary program (someone was citing _Adam_ Smith, and supply and demand earlier ... QED). I told her that all she needed to do was learn what I can teach her, because she and the culinary-program HS graduates were still going to need to attend a culinary school after HS anyway. However, she would have a leg up on all of her competitors, because she would have extra dimensions of education and experience that will come in handy when, not if, the IT infrastructure in a restaurant she was working in had issues, and there's a _lot_ of tech in kitchens these days that's driven by computing and networking.

I also told her that she will have skills in everything from web design (and every restaurant has some presence on the WWW, even if it's just posting the current menu) to social media exploitation and search engine optimization. Restaurant owners are going to be very interested in a baker who knows her way around a keyboard as well as she does a rolling pin. Then, there's the whole financial/business side of the food industry, and she probably had better not bank (pun fully intended) on being a baker her whole life if she's interested in a lasting career, vs. just jobs du jour. It's nice to want to be the best baker in the world, but sometimes desire just isn't enough if you don't have the innate skills needed, or at least the ability to learn them ... on your own dime and time, unless you're a relative of the owner. Another avenue that IT knowledge opens up is video media, since there are entire channels and globs of the Internet devoted to food, and there doesn't seem to be an upper limit to how much of it viewers want to digest (yes, another pun, lucky you!).

Anyway, I hope I've gotten across how interrelated fields have become, and that computing, telecommunications, and robotics are touching and revolutionizing everything. I was told by a graduate school professor that within ten years of earning my undergraduate engineering degree, there would be two kinds of engineers - those who understood how to exploit computing, and those who were unemployed. I earned my MSCS (although I'd been doing hardware and software development since my freshman year in college) nine years after my undergraduate engineering degree because I could see what was happening in Silicon Valley. All of my HS classmates who also became engineers when I did were unemployed not long after that decade of transition, and they wound up in dead-end jobs with no career prospects because they hadn't adapted.

We had to memorize a saying at the Naval Academy that we recited during "chow call" (a litany of the next meal's menu, the movies showing in the Yard and out in town, and other constantly-changing trivia that helped us learn to memorize facts rapidly, needed in combat, just keeping aircraft airborne let alone shooting down others, or blowing up crap on the surface, among many other scenarios) before we beat feet to get in formation. It started one minute before formation and ended with, " ... Time, tide, and formation wait for no one (it was "no man" when I was there :)), I am now shoving off, Sir(/Ma'am)!"

Time, tide, and formation wait for no one, indeed! :shock:

blc

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:01 am

<not-so-subtle attempt to bring the thread back on topic>
So. RPF are recruiting, eh? I'm sure they'll have no shortage of applicants for the IT support role.
</no-so-subtle attempt to bring the thread back on topic>

Pithagoros

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:20 am

Playing with Pis and getting paid for it is one great way to spend your working hours.

When somebody at my office came up with (stole from me) the idea to use Pis for many tasks around the business, there was a discussion about who would do the work to get them configured. As I am known for my Pi fettling, I got the task - even though it's not my normal role.

It's like a holiday at my desk!

liz

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:09 am

So. RPF are recruiting, eh? I'm sure they'll have no shortage of applicants for the IT support role.
We don't actually get to see how many applicants there have been until the end of the application period - but yes, my money's on there being a TON of people going for that one too!

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:06 pm

liz wrote:
We don't actually get to see how many applicants there have been until the end of the application period - but yes, my money's on there being a TON of people going for that one too!
If my get up and go hadn't gotten up and went years ago, I'd be tempted.

Return to “General discussion”