rosarvalles01

Raspberry Pi Zero stocking?

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:05 pm

When will the Pi Zero be restocked? And when it has, will it still be $5?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:13 pm

There's another shipment due in a week or so, and yes, they'll always be $5.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

BMS Doug

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:43 pm

liz wrote:There's another shipment due in a week or so, and yes, they'll always be $5.
*Or equivelant value allowing for inflation and/or increases to component costs.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

liz

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:46 pm

Have you ever seen any other Raspberry Pi prices change upwards?

BMS Doug

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:57 pm

liz wrote:Have you ever seen any other Raspberry Pi prices change upwards?
Never and I hope that trend continues, but a sudden shortage of critical materials could push the component prices up, that has occurred before.
Doug.

andybiker

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:00 pm

I would really like to get my hands on one of these.
If anyone 'on the inside' is building a list of minor features to add on a newer version,
How about adding the missing resistors and capacitors to bring back the analogue audio to pads on the pcb?
The Pi makes an absolutely superb internet radio and the size of the zero would fit beautifully behind a display.
Congratulations on another great product!

gregeric

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Those pads appear to be for a 2553 USB current limit switch, not audio. The two GPIOs that break out there are not the stereo PWM pair, but one of them happens to have alt function PWM1 so you can hack it to get mono analogue sound there.

surfparadise

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 am

Hello,

I want to say thanks to all the Raspberry Pi staff to this fantastic device, I'm really a fan.

Anyway I have to say that is a shame that after more than a moth the Raspberry Zero is impossible to buy.

Anyone know when this situation will be normalized? The Rs Component until know doesn't have in catalogue the rasperry zero. Anyone know when will be available through RS?

Thank you
Best Regards.

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:32 am

surfparadise wrote:Hello,

I want to say thanks to all the Raspberry Pi staff to this fantastic device, I'm really a fan.

Anyway I have to say that is a shame that after more than a moth the Raspberry Zero is impossible to buy.

Anyone know when this situation will be normalized? The Rs Component until know doesn't have in catalogue the rasperry zero. Anyone know when will be available through RS?

Thank you
Best Regards.
It's not expected to ever become available through RS, the margins weren't acceptable to RS or Farnell so other distribution channels were chosen for the Pi0 (Adafruit and Microcenter in the US, PiMoroni and PiHut in the UK). I think that everywhere is currently out of stock until more Pi0's have been produced, then when restocked they will sell out within a few hours. (although Kits which include the Pi0 may still be available the next day).
Doug.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:56 am

Thank you
Best Regards.
You have to remember that it's not possible to ramp up production instantly, especially since it takes well over a month to get new SOC orders through a fab. Then you have to stop the production line of other product, which may already be scheduled. So it's a bit more complicated than most people think.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

surfparadise

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:40 am

BMS Doug wrote:

Thank you
Best Regards.

It's not expected to ever become available through RS, the margins weren't acceptable to RS or Farnell so other distribution channels were chosen for the Pi0 (Adafruit and Microcenter in the US, PiMoroni and PiHut in the UK). I think that everywhere is currently out of stock until more Pi0's have been produced, then when restocked they will sell out within a few hours. (although Kits which include the Pi0 may still be available the next day).

What? RS will not sell Pi Zero? Oh no, this is a really bad news...
Is it official and confirmed?

It's really a pity!!
In my opinion doesn't make any sense to produce a 5$ device and make it impossible to buy below of 30$.
Any advice from Raspberry Pi Staff?

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:49 am

surfparadise wrote: What? RS will not sell Pi Zero? Oh no, this is a really bad news...
Is it official and confirmed?
here
liz wrote:MCM and other organisations owned by Farnell and RS aren't going to be getting stock in the foreseeable, because they weren't happy with the margin structure; we've discussed this before. The main US stockists are Adafruit and Microcenter. If you're waiting on MCM to get stock, it's probably best to cancel your order and go elsewhere.
and Here
liz wrote:Hal (and everybody else) - don't order from RS or Farnell or affiliates: the main stockists in the US are Adafruit and Microcenter (which may be what's causing some of the confusion). The margins we wanted partners to stick to are very low, and our usual distributors didn't fancy it (although other retailers are reporting some very good figures - pays to stick your neck out in this business).
This doesn't mean that RS or Farnell will never have stock, just that they have to change their minds about buying into an item that has very thin margins.
Doug.

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:56 am

surfparadise wrote: pimoroni.com shipping cost to Spain £25.13
PiHut doesn't delivery at all.
I would suspect that the problem is that unreliable postal deliveries have made the retailers unwilling to ship using your national postal service unfortunately there isn't much you can do about that.

Is there anyone you could ship it to who will be able to send it on to you?
Doug.

surfparadise

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:21 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
surfparadise wrote: pimoroni.com shipping cost to Spain £25.13
PiHut doesn't delivery at all.
I would suspect that the problem is that unreliable postal deliveries have made the retailers unwilling to ship using your national postal service unfortunately there isn't much you can do about that.

Is there anyone you could ship it to who will be able to send it on to you?

I never had any problems with Spanish postal service. Anyway I think that Raspberry Pi company have to fix this issue soon as possible. I want buy at least 4/5 of this devices, but at 5euro each not for the double or the triple of the price!
Actually the foundation is loosing a lot of market share/ revenue....

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:34 pm

surfparadise wrote: I never had any problems with Spanish postal service. Anyway I think that Raspberry Pi company have to fix this issue soon as possible. I want buy at least 4/5 of this devices, but at 5euro each not for the double or the triple of the price!
Actually the foundation is loosing a lot of market share/ revenue....
an unreliable local postal service is the only reason I can think of for that scale of pricing.
(UK shipping is £2.50 and Australia was only £3.50 and Korea only £3.33) I doubt that both PiHut and PiMoroni would refuse to ship via the relevant national service unless there was a very good reason.

This is largely irrelevant at the moment of course, they can't sell product they don't have in stock and Pi0's don't stay in stock very long.
Doug.

DirkS

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:37 pm

surfparadise wrote:I never had any problems with Spanish postal service.
See https://shop.pimoroni.com/pages/shipping-information
*** We only offer UPS shipping to this destination. Local postal services have shown poor level of service with high levels of delayed and lost deliveries.

surfparadise

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:45 pm

After that the stock of zero device will be at normal level, the only solution would be to find an arrangment with the big reseller (rs and farnell). Maybe increasing the price of 1 or 2 dollars....to make the margin more atractive to them.

liz

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:46 pm

This is anecdotal, but I've had MASSIVE problems with the Spanish postal service (my little cousins live out there, and getting birthday and Christmas presents to them is always a total crapshoot if you're using the local mail). I've sent a really depressingly large amount of stuff that never arrived.

surfparadise

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm

...I'm leaving in Barcelona, and I received at least 50 packets from China without any problem...

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:12 pm

surfparadise wrote:After that the stock of zero device will be at normal level, the only solution would be to find an arrangment with the big reseller (rs and farnell). Maybe increasing the price of 1 or 2 dollars....to make the margin more atractive to them.
Not the only solution, local re-sellers could bulk purchase and arrange their own shipping, amazon and e-bay vendors could do the same.

If you were willing to pay onward shipping costs and accept the risk of non delivery you could probably find people willing to post them out to you.
Doug.

surfparadise

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:30 pm

Yeah of course. But for example RS provide free shipping if you pick up yourself the item in a specific delivery point.... so you can buy a really small (cheap) amount of components without shipping cost.

BMS Doug

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:44 pm

Yes, quite expensive.

The only way that they could have acquired those to have them in stock is to have bought them in individual transactions and paid shipping cost on each, I'm not surprised that they have placed a significant markup on them, it was probably a logistical nightmare to get them into their stock.

Once Pi0 stocks have increased to reasonable levels and Pi0's are available for multiple purchase transactions I would imagine that the re-sellers prices will also drop. At the moment there is a scarcity situation and people are making a profit from that scarcity while it continues.
Doug.

Massi

Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:00 pm

surfparadise wrote:...I'm leaving in Barcelona, and I received at least 50 packets from China without any problem...
i'm also receiving (in italy) every single package sent from dx or tinydeal.
If under 15 $ in about a month (with no tracking!)
over 15 $ in a couple of weeks (with tracking)

But not from england, as far as i can see. For the RPF' resellers (*) we are third world and can't have anything dispatched
I'm really hoping for a commercial agreement with rs, otherwise i'll never get a zero (for sure i'll not pay english people joking on ebay with something like 30 £ for a zero..)

(*) probably it's not the RPF itself, but am i missing someone else than pihut and pimoroni as "official" reseller for the Zero?

Return to “General discussion”