pete49

using laptop screen for monitor?

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:54 am

Today a friend was throwing out a laptop and asked if I could remove the HDD and put his pictures on a DVD and then I could keep it and the laptop as well. As the motherboard is cactus I was wondering if I could utilise the screen for my RP2 B+. If so what is needed to make it work? I had thoughts of also utilising the keyboard and making it into raspberry ptop :D Is this feasible or just forget it? Oh its a HP Pavillion
Pete

RaTTuS

Re: using laptop screen for monitor?

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:02 pm

probably not
however there are hdmi to lcd driver kits that may work on the screen - you need to find out exactly what the display driver is
post links, screen shots make and model of the laptop etc
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

B.Goode

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Similar to the enquiry about a tablet. Seems to me you would be better off getting the laptop back into working order (doesn't have to be running Windows) and using that to access the RPi 'remotely'.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:39 pm

pete49 wrote:Today a friend was throwing out a laptop and asked if I could remove the HDD and put his pictures on a DVD and then I could keep it and the laptop as well. As the motherboard is cactus I was wondering if I could utilise the screen for my RP2 B+. If so what is needed to make it work? I had thoughts of also utilising the keyboard and making it into raspberry ptop :D Is this feasible or just forget it? Oh its a HP Pavillion
Pete

The answer is it IS possible. But you need a little luck. I've done it with a gorgeous 15" Dell laptop screen. The way to go is...

* find the TFT part number
* google "driver board for TFT_part_number"
* pay about $30-50 for a driver board on ebay or AliExpress
* wait a couple of weeks
* fit it all together and see if it works

There seem to be companies in China that do this as a service. I lucked out. Mine arrived within about 9 days and was very straightforward apart from the menus being in Chinese by default. I had to use google translate to work out the Chinese pictogram for "language" and thus navigate the menus to change it to English.

Apart from that I now have a gorgeous 15.4" full HD monitor I'm using in my workshop/studio for video and Pi work. It cost me about $30. I'll be doing a "how-to" video in the near future as I have two more to do. :lol:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

pete49

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:45 am

Thanks for the replies all. The laptop would need a new motherboard and I have enough laptops now without rebuilding an old model though I may think about it . Alex thanks for your thoughts I will go with that and see if I can get it to work for me. Age related eyes make it better for me screen wise
Pete

Return to “General discussion”