Massi

Re: Pi Zero Availability

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:54 am

am i the only one still without a Zero? :)

BMS Doug

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:05 pm

Massi wrote:am i the only one still without a Zero? :)
Nope, the majority of the planet's population are also still without a zero.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Massi

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
good point.
:)

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:07 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
Not even the only one active on these Forums without a Pi Zero.

emma1997

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:53 pm

I think those without are just not trying hard enough. I've acquired 2 just by checking a few of the known good sources every morning and another one from news flash in this thread. At few people I know of out here in the real world have also managed to do the same. Dozens if not hundreds of other forum members simply reading their email and responding in a timely fashion. It 's unlikely anyone will knock on the door begging to sell one off the back of a pickup truck.

ps. Not available at Walmart yet either.

Woll

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:02 pm

emma1997 wrote:I think those without are just not trying hard enough. I've acquired 2 just by checking a few of the known good sources every morning and another one from news flash in this thread. At few people I know of out here in the real world have also managed to do the same. Dozens if not hundreds of other forum members simply reading their email and responding in a timely fashion. It 's unlikely anyone will knock on the door begging to sell one off the back of a pickup truck.

I thought you was against people buying up all the Pi Zero's?
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:05 pm

emma1997 wrote:I think those without are just not trying hard enough. I've acquired 2 just by checking a few of the known good sources every morning and another one from news flash in this thread. At few people I know of out here in the real world have also managed to do the same. Dozens if not hundreds of other forum members simply reading their email and responding in a timely fashion. It 's unlikely anyone will knock on the door begging to sell one off the back of a pickup truck.

Part of that depends on where you live. Bare boards (as opposed to kits) tend to go very fast. Since I live on the West Coast, I'd have to get up around 3 AM to get a Pi0 from a company like Adafruit.

morphy_richards

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:09 pm

I'm looking forward to all the excitement dying down so I can bulk order a hundred or so of them and give them as part of CPD computing training to local primary schools.

Burngate

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:13 pm

emma1997 wrote:I think those without are just not trying hard enough.
Sorry, Maam.

That's what my teachers kept saying. Year after year my school reports kept saying it. Didn't do any good, though.
And look where its got me.

lpsw

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:17 pm

80+ avail right now at Adafruit. Of course to lessen the sting of the US$9 shipping I had to get some other stuff :)
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

emma1997

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Woll wrote:I thought you was against people buying up all the Pi Zero's?
No, just OTHER people buying up all the Zeros.

I did actually state a short while back that it would be better if the limit was 3 instead of 1 but thinking about it probably not good considering all those empty handed still complaining now. This thread don't refer to "ZERO (0) availability" for nothing.

As far as 3am that was almost exactly the local time for me getting one. And bottom line is there were packages with cables available for nearly a whole day. You might have to pay a few bucks more but this was also something I was willing to do. Of course best of all would be to sell most of them board only but vendor greed...

Heater

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:53 pm

emma1997
I think those without are just not trying hard enough.
You mean to say that if the one million people who want a Pi Zero tried hard enough they would all have one. Despite the fact only 10,000 have been made?

I don't get the idea.

Note: Figures pulled out of thin air. I have no idea what the supply and demand actually is.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

emma1997

Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:57 pm

Heater wrote: You mean to say that if the one million people who want a Pi Zero tried hard enough they would all have one.
I told you a MILLION times not to exaggerate!

Anyway I think the handful here that complain about not having one might succeed with a bit more effort. I vaguely recall some number mentioned that 2000/day are being cranked out by Sony so more likely those numbers should be reversed.

Massi

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:28 pm

emma1997 wrote:
Heater wrote: You mean to say that if the one million people who want a Pi Zero tried hard enough they would all have one.
I told you a MILLION times not to exaggerate!

Anyway I think the handful here that complain about not having one might succeed with a bit more effort. I vaguely recall some number mentioned that 2000/day are being cranked out by Sony so more likely those numbers should be reversed.
well you are right for sure. i could buy one for 50€ on ebay.

emma1997

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:49 pm

You know crazy as that seems it is entirely possible the MagPi combo might go for more than that someday long after the panic settles. Apple One in bag went for several thousand dollars on Ebay last year. Vintage/collectible. As mentioned before I am hoarding those printed cards with RAM size blanked out for that very reason. :)

hippy

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:20 pm

emma1997 wrote:I vaguely recall some number mentioned that 2000/day are being cranked out by Sony so more likely those numbers should be reversed.
If there is demand for a million; at 2000 a day it will take over a year to satisfy that demand. And I expect demand is far higher than that, most potential buyers will want more than one, and a considerable number would like to get their hands on more than a couple.

I think upping the price to provide the Foundation and Sony with better profit and justification for churning them out in higher quantities is the best, perhaps only, way to go.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:57 pm

lpsw wrote:80+ avail right now at Adafruit. Of course to lessen the sting of the US$9 shipping I had to get some other stuff :)
I got notified about that just after my previous post (just goes to show, I guess), and snapped one up. There was only one shipping method that cost less than the Pi0 itself...US mail. Still, that might actually be faster than the usual ground transport "express" services. I expect to have a Pi0 in my hot (not so) little hands next week some time. Just in time for the Jam I go to.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:02 pm

emma1997 wrote:And bottom line is there were packages with cables available for nearly a whole day. You might have to pay a few bucks more but this was also something I was willing to do. Of course best of all would be to sell most of them board only but vendor greed...
Right.... $25 for $5 worth of cables. (That's a $30 "kit" with a Pi0. I can actually get a set of cables for $4, but I rounded up.) I'm willing to--grudgingly--pay *some* premium, but that's a bit much. I did palce an order way back at the beginning with MCM for a Pi0+cables, but that was priced at $13.50, so not an exactly horrible markup. Haven't gotten that one yet, and there has been no shipping notification.
Last edited by W. H. Heydt on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Heater wrote:emma1997
I think those without are just not trying hard enough.
You mean to say that if the one million people who want a Pi Zero tried hard enough they would all have one. Despite the fact only 10,000 have been made?

I don't get the idea.

Note: Figures pulled out of thin air. I have no idea what the supply and demand actually is.
Initial production was, apparently, 30,000. No idea how many have been made since then, though upwards of 50,000 wouldn't surprise me. Bear in mind that last year it was stated that 100,000 Pi2Bs sold the first day (with a total of 150,000 the first two days). So a total demand in the hundreds of thousands isn't a bad "ballpark" guess, and a million isn't out of the realm of possibility....even though the number of people who are actually aware of the Pi0 isn't all that great.

BMS Doug

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:45 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:even though the number of people who are actually aware of the Pi0 isn't all that great.
Everyone I know has heard of the pi0.
Dougs Wife wrote:that's because you told them about it.
Yup. Everyone I know has heard of the pi0.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

HeadCase

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:30 am

At the moment the RPi0's must be being hoovered up by people who just want to get their hands on one, so it doesn't matter much about the extra cables or the shipping costs. Most people who want to get a zero probably have hacking or prototyping in mind, and to do that probably 5 or 10 is a realistic number. Buying one at a time will just be a pain. Worse for people who want to get them into classrooms - they will probably want 20 or 50 so they can start evaluating them in various ways. Remember twenty is just $100.

Based on that, I wouldn't be surprised if later on the bare board limit goes to 5 maybe. The way it looks at the moment, that would mean a step function in production of about 5:1. Depending on how that might go, anyone seriously considering a project or an educational deployment would start thinking about buying enough stock to cover shortages. That could mean that given the chance, people or organizations would try and stock up (assuming unlimited orders) - 100, 500 or 1,000 at a time. Only when there is confidence that supply is regular will corporate and educational buyers go back to JIT (just in time) purchasing.

The good thing about a board like the RPi0 is that it has a very low component count and apart from the SoC everything else is just a jellybean, so the time to ramp up production should be pretty low. That is assuming the production line is not a constraint.

jasoncampbell4

Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:38 am

It seems bizarre people are so desperate to get the Zero, I can’t see a reason why you couldn’t use a different Pi to prove a concept and wait for the Zero to become available- by then you’ll have done all the software and hit the ground running.

What is it that people must have a Zero? Am I missing something, we know all its specifications, we just have to wait. It’s a great product but you can use another Pi and just limit yourself to the Zero specification. Unless it is just the price, but then just wait, technology always drops in price. Or is it the lack of availability? In which case it is like strawberries, when they are out of season the price goes up.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:02 am

jasoncampbell4 wrote:It seems bizarre people are so desperate to get the Zero, I can’t see a reason why you couldn’t use a different Pi to prove a concept and wait for the Zero to become available- by then you’ll have done all the software and hit the ground running.

What is it that people must have a Zero? Am I missing something, we know all its specifications, we just have to wait. It’s a great product but you can use another Pi and just limit yourself to the Zero specification. Unless it is just the price, but then just wait, technology always drops in price. Or is it the lack of availability? In which case it is like strawberries, when they are out of season the price goes up.
Right now, the people who want Pi0s are people who already have other models of Pi. Part of it is certainly price, since at $5 it opens up projects tha have a considerable risk of damaging or destroying the board that gets used. It's kind of like Eben's original point with the PI...kids aren't going to be allowed to "play around with" and possibly "break" the multi-hundred-pound family computer that other family members depend on for shopping, financial transactions, homework, e-mail, etc., etc. With a Pi0, you can take risks that you might not want to take with a Pi2B.

There are, I think, other factors as well at the moment. There is the collectible issue. New product in the family and some people want one to keep their collection complete. The scarcity also means that there are people who want one mostly because they're having trouble getting them.

I will be the first to admit that some of my projects can be done equally well with other models of Pi, and I have other models on hand to do those projects, if I wish. In some cases, I just fancy the idea of a really, really, cheap solution...such as a $5 Pi0, a $2.58 RTC, a $1.47 OTG cable, and an $6 USB to Ethernet adapter...plus a power supply and CAT-5 cable that I have plenty on hand already. (Note that the total is actually less than an A+ which would still need the RTC and USB to Ethernet adapter.)

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:30 am

To Emma and anyone else who thinks it's just a matter of not trying hard enough, you're just completely uninformed on this subject. Some of us have to be up at the crack of dawn to show up at schools to let kids into our classrooms at 6:30 AM, we're stuck there all day teaching classes with no breaks because we have endless adminstrivia to do that the tenured faculty and staff can slough off on us. The moment classes are over, we have to start grading, eventually somehow get something stuffed into our mouths and get rid of efflux, and the evening extends past midnight as we prepare lesson plans for the next day, especially first-time teachers who don't have a repertoire built up yet (which never happens for tech curricula, half of which is obsolete within two years).

By the time we see an in-stock notification, it can be upwards of 12 hours after-the-fact as they only get sent during weekday work days, and only to the next group of people on the notification list equal in number to the boards available. Those lucky enough to be able to monitor their e-mail and the WWW all day get to act on notifications and announcements, and likely snag a board that one of us was notified of without our knowledge and couldn't act on it in time.

I have 188 kids that I need Zeroes for now (there's no way they were ever going to get a $35 Pi given our budget), there are 1,982 students in our high school I'd like to supply for a pilot program where I'm showing how all curricula can benefit from low-cost, ubiquitous educational computing, and there are 86,000+ students in our district that I would like to replicate the pilot for, starting with Spring break intersessional programs and continuing with a Summer Jamboree that I would love to make a state-wide or regional event. However, just like with the Original Flavor Pi B, by the time they'll be available in bulk six months after the launch, the next school year will have started and by then, all of the computing funding for that academic year will already have long been spent on more Wintel stuff. So, any Zeroes we can manage to buy now will be out of our own pockets.

Now does everyone understand why I get so exercised every time I hear about many of those Original Flavor Model Bs piling up in the backs of drawers after people figured out they weren't actually going to replace anyone's desktop system, or how numbskulls are trying to hoard upwards of 100 Zeroes to build a cluster for reasons that don't include learning clustering for educational purposes?

If anyone wants to be truly successful in life, try imagining what it's like to live in someone else's shoes instead of reveling in your own very fortunate situation - you live on another planet compared with most in the Real World. Although I disagree with him on just about everything else, Bill Gates' statement is spot on that a few who were lucky enough to win the genetic lottery should be a lot more humble and compassionate with the vast majority who weren't. Then, some of us just choose to fight the good fight even though we could be having a lot more fun pursuing selfish Momentary Lapses of Reason.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:49 am

Where can I send my 256Meg and 512Meg Model B's? (I'm actually serious, I'm down in OC Jim, I'll cover P&P to USPS Priority them to you.)
Account Inactive

Return to “General discussion”