stderr

Re: Pi Zero Availability

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:30 am

SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:$9 - Full size USB, MicroUSB, HDMI, CSI, populated GPIO, TF Card. Ethernet, 512MB Ram, H3 SoC.
$12 Gets an additional USB port and onboard WiFi.

Now, as an owner of an Orange Pi, I have to say the support stinks, the community is fragmented and getting things to work is next to Herculean. (No current mainline kernel support...)
Is what is not working more than just the video?

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:26 am

Woll wrote:No one's posted about Lemon Pi or Roseapple Pi since the launch of the Pi Zero.
I've mentioned them a couple of times since late November. Part of the problem is that, while I have heard of people buying Roseapple Pis, and the Lemon Pi people say that they are actually going to ship Roseapple Pis...there is no sign of that happening so far. Thus, the "Lemon Pi' is whatever form is still vaporware.

KeithSloan

Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:43 pm

I registered an interest in a Pi Zero at the pimoroni website for a Pi zero plus basic cables. ( Not initially when the zero came out as I was not in a rush ). They did send me an email offering Pi Zero but no cables which I did not take up because I also need the cables. Now I keep checking this thread to get some hint as to how much longer I might have to wait. Is there any more news on how fast Pi Zero's are being made and when we are likely to see supplies even for one let alone ten that some people seem to want

Pithagoros

Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:03 pm

KeithSloan wrote:I registered an interest in a Pi Zero at the pimoroni website for a Pi zero plus basic cables. ( Not initially when the zero came out as I was not in a rush ). They did send me an email offering Pi Zero but no cables which I did not take up because I also need the cables. Now I keep checking this thread to get some hint as to how much longer I might have to wait. Is there any more news on how fast Pi Zero's are being made and when we are likely to see supplies even for one let alone ten that some people seem to want
This message posted a few days ago is I think the best information we have:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=131605&p=878016#p878016

Tepej

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:34 pm

Available at Pimoroni now (boards only and with kits)

ffleandro

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:09 pm

jasoncampbell4 wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
jasoncampbell4 wrote:...if the foundation sent a helicopter in the morning with the Pi Zeros?
Carpet bombing....with Pi0s? That has possibilities....
Does your education authority do procurement like people order pizza deliveries? If they can’t deliver in 15 minutes you aren’t interested? In the UK budgets are set aside 12 months in advance.
In the US, school budgets are set by local school boards, as are a lot of other things. There is some state oversight in most cases, but between the state and some of the locals...things can get pretty ugly in a number of ways that are massively off topic here.
Do you not see the problem; on one level you are arguing that the Foundation is failing you because you can’t buy $10,000 of Pi Zeros then in another breath you are saying you don’t have that purchasing decision anyway. You can’t expect the Foundation to invest millions on maybes; if a firm order had been placed I’m sure your experience would have been different.

I’m pretty confident that those in the Foundation aren’t idiots, they worked out the Pi Zero was advertising you can’t place a price on, now it will take time for the Zero to flow through the system. Realistically you only need one Pi Zero to present your idea to whomever makes the purchasing choice, Pi Foundation doesn’t have to hold back 100,000 just in case you get lucky with the boss.
To whom can I talk in order to discuss this kind of pre-orders? I want to buy at least 1000 RPi Zero by November/2016.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Ameridroid is now saying that they expect to get Pi0s in "mid-February". Previously they just said "February". So it appears that the window is getting narrower, if only a bit.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:09 pm

ffleandro wrote: To whom can I talk in order to discuss this kind of pre-orders? I want to buy at least 1000 RPi Zero by November/2016.
Why do you specifically need the Zero? Will an A+ do, or the Pi2? Reason I ask, is that until Nov last year no-one knew the Zero even existed, why has it suddenly become so vital to buy 1000 of them? Is it for education, or industrial purposes, or just to resell? The PI2 is ba much better device for the education side, and the CM might be a better option for the industrial side, given the mods required to make a Zero more industrial use friendly.

That said, production of the Zero is going as fast as it can, but I would expect a 1000 off purchase to be some way off. I have asked the Foundation if they can help, but they are moving house at the moment, so awaiting a response.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

FredFromJupiter

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:28 am

Hi,

I have some Pi B and some Pi 2B running, and i like it to play around with them.
The many port are great for testing and development.
But if you want to use the Pi for one special purpose, the ports can be little annoying especially if you don't need them.

It like the Pi Zero, because of its size.

It would be perfect if there where no connectors at all.
Only soldering pads in 2.54mm raster.
In fact, little like the 'compute module', but usable.

The Price? I'm not expecting a 5$ device. That's not realistic.

Fred

eltel

Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:52 pm

Warning neewby post !
So ever since the magpi with pi zero for free I have searched for more zero's.
Today I gave up the reason:-
Contacted RS then Farnell then cpc EVERYONE has the same story
Sorry No orders are taken for the product, there is NO delivery forecast.
In response to the question " Do you think you will ever get the product" the answer was NO !
So it looks like this was to good to be true and the zero cannot be manufactured and resold at this price.
Shame, but the cynic in me says what a good way to get people to subscribe to the magazine, obviously the product was a loss leader and so will never be repeated.

What's everyone think

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:45 pm

Yes RS, CPC and Farnell do not stock the PI zero, they never did, and probably never will. They think the margins are too small.
That's why the RPF has chosen other outlets for the PI zero.
It is available today in the UK from our friends at The Pi Hut and Pimoroni, and in the US from Adafruit and in-store at your local branch of Micro Center.
PI's will be sold for the same price as long as there is demand, and the places above have a constant inflow of new Zero's.

Please read the launch announcement before panicking!
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

Drzacek

Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:03 pm

There are 3 threads about Pi Zero Availability, a lot of people are talking, but everyone seem to avoid answering the simple question. When will it be in stores again? Do we get to order them this week? This month? In last month I only saw few of them on ebay or some german reseller website (at the price of Pi A+).

hippy

Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:04 pm

mahjongg wrote:Yes RS, CPC and Farnell do not stock the PI zero, they never did, and probably never will.
That's not entirely true. CPC / Farnell did stock Pi Zeroes, and have also suggested that they would be stocking it in the future -

http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberrypizero?&ICID=I-Rpizero

Pithagoros

Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:08 pm

eltel wrote:Warning neewby post !
So ever since the magpi with pi zero for free I have searched for more zero's.
Today I gave up the reason:-
Contacted RS then Farnell then cpc EVERYONE has the same story
Sorry No orders are taken for the product, there is NO delivery forecast.
In response to the question " Do you think you will ever get the product" the answer was NO !
So it looks like this was to good to be true and the zero cannot be manufactured and resold at this price.
Shame, but the cynic in me says what a good way to get people to subscribe to the magazine, obviously the product was a loss leader and so will never be repeated.

What's everyone think
Last week Pimoroni were selling Pi Zeros for £4.20 each on 2 separate days, at that price they have all sold out now until the next batch arrives, but they still have (as I am typing this) 15 DAC Wireless Audio Kits left, and this kit includes a Pi Zero.

davidcoton

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:05 pm

Drzacek wrote:There are 3 threads about Pi Zero Availability, a lot of people are talking, but everyone seem to avoid answering the simple question. When will it be in stores again? Do we get to order them this week? This month? In last month I only saw few of them on ebay or some german reseller website (at the price of Pi A+).
This is a community support board, not one where the answers always come from RPF (or RP Trading). Why do people asking the question keep asking when the majority of board members clearly don't know , and those who do can't/won't answer, presumably for commercial reasons?
Signature retired

Drzacek

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:54 pm

davidcoton wrote: This is a community support board, not one where the answers always come from RPF (or RP Trading). Why do people asking the question keep asking when the majority of board members clearly don't know , and those who do can't/won't answer, presumably for commercial reasons?

Well, we keep on asking, cause we still want that answer. Obviously a lot of people care/are interested in buying Raspberry Pi Zero. Since it is very hot stuff right now, it would cool down our heads a little if we knew at least when to expect it. Instead, a lot of us are checking all the suppliers x-times a day just to not miss it when it's there (I know, the notifications, but still I don't trust that I get info when I'm at the end of the list).

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:14 pm

Drzacek wrote:There are 3 threads about Pi Zero Availability, a lot of people are talking, but everyone seem to avoid answering the simple question. When will it be in stores again? Do we get to order them this week? This month? In last month I only saw few of them on ebay or some german reseller website (at the price of Pi A+).
It depends on the vendor. Adafruit maintains a notification list. You get on that and when they have Pi0s and those ahead of you on the have had a chance to buy one, you'll get an e-mail. Move fast.

Ameridroid takes and ships when your order gets to the top of the list, your Pi0 ships.

The latest data on the Ameridroid web site is:
OUT OF STOCK - Unknown availability. Our first shipment has been received and shipped to customers, and we have not been given a fulfillment timeline for the remaining restock orders.

arekm

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:20 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Adafruit maintains a notification list. You get on that and when they have Pi0s and those ahead of you on the have had a chance to buy one, you'll get an e-mail. Move fast.
Adafruit sells only one or can I buy more at once ?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:31 pm

There is no simple answer to this question possible, PI Zero`s are made as fast as production capacity permits. The official resellers all get their equal share of those (I assume) and sell them immediately, so its a question of getting one when they are available, which could be right now.
Non official resellers have to buy from official resellers, and those now all have a "1 PI per order policy", so non official resellers like Ameridroid are out of luck!
read the PI Zero launch blog to see who the official resellers are.

TheGuyUk

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:42 pm

With all these threads on Pi Z availability has anyone coined the phrase " Pi Stalker" yet?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:19 pm

arekm wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Adafruit maintains a notification list. You get on that and when they have Pi0s and those ahead of you on the have had a chance to buy one, you'll get an e-mail. Move fast.
Only Adafruit can answer that and it could vary on there own stocks or expectations of stocks.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:39 pm

arekm wrote:
At present, one at a time. When there is less of an imbalance between supply and demand, that will probably be releaxed and they'll take orders fo multiple Pi0s at a time. We went through the same ting with the original launch in 2012. Took, off and on, about 8 months to be able to reasonably order Pis in quantity.

mung

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:39 am

davidcoton wrote:
This is a community support board, not one where the answers always come from RPF (or RP Trading). Why do people asking the question keep asking when the majority of board members clearly don't know , and those who do can't/won't answer, presumably for commercial reasons?
I am not sure anyone 'knows' anything with certainty even the manufacturers, everything has some amount of uncertainty. I think even the RPF does not know when pi0 will go on sale as thats the retailers choice, RPF probably just allocate batches for dispatch from the factory and its up to retails to handle them as they see fit once they receive them?

My hypothesis hypothetically based on the historic facts is, roughly every two weeks you will see pimoroni get a batch 2000 pi0 boards which are split into 10 and bundled with various other items and listed on their web site. So that means if you want a pi0 without extra bundle items there are 200 available. Normally singular pi0 sellout within 1 hour and bundles sell out in order of expense some more expensive bundles staying in stock up to a week.

If you try to add multiple singular pi0 to your single order to save on postage it will be processed and cancelled the next day (meaning the next day some pi return to stock on the website), If you make multiple singular orders you can get quite a few pi0 but must pay the postage (i.e. checkout and pay, then go back fill basket with another single pi0 then checkout and pay).

pimoroni tend to post clues on this forum that a new batch will be available about three days in advance, and so far the web site lists on monday or tuesdays before noon.

I think other retailers have slightly differnt system, pi hut maybe working a email preorder email notification, I have not noticed their web shop showing much they always shown 'out of stock'.

I have no idea about US retailers?

W. H. Heydt

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:20 am

mung wrote: I have no idea about US retailers?
Micro Center started with allowing on-line orders, but with store-pickup only. Last I heard, there were selling Pi0s in store only.

RaTTuS

Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:16 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “General discussion”