HarryWeston
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:52 am

RI Xmas lectures

Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:51 pm

In the credits for the recent 2015 series of Royal Institution Christmas Lectures on BBC4, the Raspberry Pi foundation got a prominent position, third in the "...would like to thank..." list. Please, what part did the RaspberryPi play to earn such gratitude?

(I'd like to include an image I have as a .png file of the credits mentioned, but I don't know how to)

Pithagoros
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: RI Xmas lectures

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:44 pm

HarryWeston wrote:In the credits for the recent 2015 series of Royal Institution Christmas Lectures on BBC4, the Raspberry Pi foundation got a prominent position, third in the "...would like to thank..." list. Please, what part did the RaspberryPi play to earn such gratitude?

(I'd like to include an image I have as a .png file of the credits mentioned, but I don't know how to)
Interestingly the credits misspelt the name "Raspbery Pi" in the first episode.

I believe that in the first programme there were 2 little raspberry Pis with small TFT screens on the shelf at the back of the lecture stage behind Kevin. They were displaying colour patterns but I think were there for ornamental reasons.

DirkS
Posts: 9937
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: RI Xmas lectures

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Pithagoros wrote:I believe that in the first programme there were 2 little raspberry Pis with small TFT screens on the shelf at the back of the lecture stage behind Kevin.
IIRC they were actually AstroPis
See https://astro-pi.org/updates/astro-pi-f ... -lectures/

Pithagoros
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: RI Xmas lectures

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:55 pm

DirkS wrote:
Pithagoros wrote:I believe that in the first programme there were 2 little raspberry Pis with small TFT screens on the shelf at the back of the lecture stage behind Kevin.
IIRC they were actually AstroPis
See https://astro-pi.org/updates/astro-pi-f ... -lectures/
Ahh, so those displays were sense hat LEDs, not TFT.
They looked quite good.

User avatar
clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1013
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: RI Xmas lectures

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:25 pm

We supported the lectures, as we did last year. The two units on display were Astro Pis as DirkS says.

Woll
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:14 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: RI Xmas lectures

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:49 pm

They had a competition for school children to design software to be used with the SenseHat, which is being used by British Astronaut Major Tim on the international space station.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36105
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: RI Xmas lectures

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:51 pm

clive wrote:We supported the lectures, as we did last year. The two units on display were Astro Pis as DirkS says.
Which is, curiously, exactly in line with the stated aims of the Raspberry Pi Foundation.
I've been watching the RI Xmas Lectures for more than forty years.

Thanks Clive. Same again next year.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “General discussion”