Jasont41

Re: Virtualized Desktop

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:09 am

With two or more Raspi\'s, how would i go abouts connecting them to a file server, and have a single desktop that would simply display the desktop of the specific device? Where the actual Raspi in question is elsewhere but the display, however, is in front of me?

obarthelemy

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:26 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_desktop
VNC variants are the most commonly used.

Blars

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Remote desktop is mostly a windows thing. With X, you can run applicaitons remotely. Note that X calls the display/keyboard system the server and the cpu cruncher the client.

kme

Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:03 pm

The problem with remote X is that it is horrible slow. You need to some sort of compression on. This is most elegantly accomplished by using NX. Unfortunately this isn\'t available for ARM. The next best thing is to install Xnest on the server and on the R-Pi run:
ssh -X -C -l LOGINUSER REMOTEHOST -n Xnest :1 -ac -geometry 1440x850 -once -query localhost
(from: http://knol.google.com/k/dirk-h-schulz/ ... ik2900p/16#)

But I agree that for the OP VNC does what\'s requested.

AlanCox

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:24 pm

[quote]Quote from kme on November 12, 2011, 15:03
The problem with remote X is that it is horrible slow.
[/quote]

Generally no. The problem with remote X is that most of the modern applications and toolkits are very sloppy about avoiding latency. This is magnified by the fact X keeps less client state by default and tends to dump the problem on the toolkit and apps.

VNC often \"feels\" faster on a remote link because it isn\'t hitting latency problems even though its bandwidth use is far higher. Much of what NX does is to reduce round trip latencies by very smart caching.

If you want NX on ARM just recompile the free versions.

Ssh tunneling doesn\'t help entirely - it won\'t fix the latency problems although it might compress a bit. You might well be better off using VNC on a long distance link.

kme

Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:15 am

[quote]If you want NX on ARM just recompile the free versions.[/quote]As far as I know there is no free NX client source available. Only a free NX server. And nomachine.com dumped the ARM client years ago.

Return to “General discussion”