JonnyAlpha
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Sandisk Extreme SD Card - WOW

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi;

After reading a comparison somewhere about SD cards and how they affect the performance of your Pi I went and ordered a 16GB Sandisk Extreme SD card.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013 ... ge_o00_s00

I have just flashed Rasbian Jessie powered it up turned my back for a second and when I looked back the desktop was there waiting for me!!!

IMPRESSIVE and very fast and only a tenner!!
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator. Main Hardware - Raspberry Pi 1 model B revision 2, Raspberry Pi 2 model B, Pi Camera

jjex22

Re: Sandisk Extreme SD Card - WOW

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Nice card!

Yes, the UHS cards are insanely fast and cheap nowadays. I bought a class1 8GB full size for my PiB last week (bad super block errors too often on old card). I didn't really bother shopping around online as it was for a model B, and we don't have Amazon market place here. I basically wanted the cheapest card I could get that wasn't an eBay clone. I walked into bigW and I could get a class 4 high speed card for A$7.90 or a class 1 UHS-1 card for A$9.90(UK£4.50) - it seemed a no brainer, brought it home and tested, amazing difference!

I was tempted to replace my other model B cards, but figured the way SD cards have been moving lately, I'll likely be able to get a UHS-2 card affordably next time one goes wrong :lol:
I had the idea for a single board computer in every seat on airplanes... but it all just seemed a bit Pi in the Sky!

chrisoh

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:06 pm

I upgraded all my SD cards to Sandisk Extreme over the summer when they where £5/16GB, blazing fast across the board (Pi and DSLR). I noticed there is a 'newer' version out now :roll: , haven't done any research on them though, looks like an upped RW speed at first glance.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has used the newer cards.

Edit: just noticed the link is to the newer version! ha! have you done any real-world RW tests, per chance?
Raspberry Pi 3 model B Idle @ 250mA
  • HDMI +200mA
  • Minecraft 1.9 Server +100mA
  • 2.4Ghz dongle +20mA

asandford

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:12 pm

I got a few of these Samsung Memory 32GB Evo from Amazon as I saw a post comparing speeds and they came out on top (or fairly near, I think Jamesh posted it).

Jessie boots to the command line in a few seconds on the Pi 2B

jjex22

Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:47 pm

chrisoh wrote:I upgraded all my SD cards to Sandisk Extreme over the summer when they where £5/16GB,

Was that the same sale around Easter time? That was amazing; I got a 64GB extreme for ~£25 delivered to my bro's house in London. Even after air mailing to Australia @~£5, still half the price I could find in Australia at the time!
blazing fast across the board
pun intended? :D
I had the idea for a single board computer in every seat on airplanes... but it all just seemed a bit Pi in the Sky!

fruit-uk

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:02 am

If you really need a faster Pi then put the OS on HDD

TalkNerdyToMe

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:29 am

Wow, this is worth looking into. Is it too late to add it to my list for Santa?

bugsy_malone 666

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:31 am

I'm somewhat warey of the Sandisk Extreme Class10 cards (grey and red) as when I found the 32gb on Amazon for a good price about 2 years back, I got both me and my other half 1. Because she listens to music from her phone the card lasted 3 months, mine died after 11 months.

Now that could be samsung galaxy S3's killing it, but I still air on the side of caution.

That said Kingston cards (normal SD not micro mind) I have done proper hammer testing, where it was recording video 24/7 with lots of power black outs (at least one a week) and they were lasting 3 or 4 months in extremes of temprature and allsorts!

I'm surprised that a slightly higher read speed of the SD card could really make the device boot that much faster with the amount it has to load?

jahboater

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:57 am

Perhaps the fast boot time was because of systemd which Jessie uses?

jjex22

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:46 am

I've always found Pi's boot pretty fast for Linux. I suspect it's because they only have to load like 70mb to RAM

carriba

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:58 am

I'm using a 32GB Sandisk Ultra Class-10 UHS-1 microSD card offering (according to their product description) up to 48MB/s transfer speed. Using it in conjunction with Debian Jessie and UbuntuMATE, it shows excellent responsiveness of the OS on general :D

I'm not sure that there is much difference between the Ultra and Extreme cards themselves, feel free to have a look yourself in the https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards product comparison page.

IMHO, the bottleneck remains the SD card controller in the RPi device...

fruit-uk

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:13 am

carriba wrote:I'm not sure that there is much difference between the Ultra and Extreme cards themselves, feel free to have a look yourself in the https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards product comparison page.
Perhaps it depends more on which labels were last loaded into the sticker machine ;)

jjex22

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:26 am

carriba wrote:I'm not sure that there is much difference between the Ultra and Extreme cards themselves, feel free to have a look yourself in the https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards product comparison page.
I think the difference is in the write speed? I don't know if that's the rule in house, but it always seems to me that across SanDisk's storage range, the extreme tend to have write speeds very close to the read speed, whilst the Ultra tend to have a bigger difference between read and write speeds?

chrisoh

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:35 pm

jjex22 wrote:... the extreme tend to have write speeds very close to the read speed, whilst the Ultra tend to have a bigger difference between read and write speeds?
This was my reasoning, I primarily needed 40MB/s RW speed for RAW use, (my DSLR is capable of high write speeds, but many devices are not). Most other cards may report high read speeds (40-60MB/s) but lack in write speeds (10/20MB/s). Extreme's came out on top for my purposes with 60/40 RW. The newer Extreme's report 90/40 RW so I might give one a go but I'm not in a hurry.
Raspberry Pi 3 model B Idle @ 250mA
  • HDMI +200mA
  • Minecraft 1.9 Server +100mA
  • 2.4Ghz dongle +20mA

jjex22

Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:11 pm

I've also got a 64GB Transend R95 W60 which has been very reliable the last few months.

I know they don't have the same name as SanDisk or Samsung, but it was very affordable and has taken a lot of GB's over the last..... 7 months with no problems.

In terms of real world speed, I don't know for sure as it's mostly just been used for my camera. When I got it I transferred some stuff to it to test and it was definitely faster than my extreme ( which would be the previous model to their current offering I think. It was about a month old at the time, probably shot around 400 exp, uploaded and formatted) but as I say, no serious testing since; they aren't cards I can really spare lol!

Return to “General discussion”