Woll

Pi Juice £25 Mobile Battery Hat

Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Is anyone going to buy the Pi Juice Hat?
It's got an integrated real time clock. I wonder if you can program it to boot up and shut down your Pi?
The Pi Juice would be ideal to use instead of battery banks.

https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pijui ... cba1185463
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

DirkS

Re: Pi Juice £25 Mobile Battery Hat

Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:56 pm

From https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pi ... escription
The real time clock (RTC) on board will let your Pi know what time it is even with no power input or internet connection. Alongside this is a micro-controller (MCU) chip which together will manage soft shut down functionality and a true low power deep sleep state and intelligent start up.
Is anyone going to buy the Pi Juice Hat?
I backed the Kickstarter and have been patiently waiting since June for it to arrive... :roll:

gregeric

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:02 pm

DirkS wrote:I backed the Kickstarter and have been patiently waiting since June for it to arrive... :roll:
Likewise. Hope they can quickly spin another version 65x30mm.

Woll

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:19 pm

I did the kickstarter for the new Thunderbirds episodes from the mini albums and the Gerry Anderson Firestorm pilot which his son is making and I'm still waiting for mine.

Kickstarters always seem late.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... escription

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... escription
Who ate all the Pi's?

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:33 pm

DirkS wrote:I backed the Kickstarter and have been patiently waiting since June for it to arrive... :roll:
You, me, and 2,415 other overly-patient backers ... six months isn't late, it's incompetent. At least it will run a Zero for days, assuming it does what was advertised, and based on their track record ... I seem to recall the operative phrase is "I'll believe it when I see it.", or "I'm from Missouri, show me." :(
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Trixster

Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:05 pm

PiJuice backer here, still waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and......

leol

Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:07 pm

me too.

shawaj

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:58 am

Aaron here from Pi Supply. Thought I would jump in and answer some questions.

@Woll - yes, that is one of the main features we designed in... The ability to wake up and shutdown your Pi.

@DirkS, Jim Manley, Trixster, leol - thanks for backing and thanks for your patience. We are hoping to go into full production by the end of this month, pending testing of the new samples of the new design late this week and beginning of next week. We then hope to be shipping towards the end of January. This is not set in stone yet but hopefully achievable. We will know more at the end of this week and will post a thorough Kickstarter update at that point.

@Gregeric - we would absolutely love to do a reduced size Pi Zero version and will definitely do so in the future. But for now we are concentrating on getting the main HAT shipped asap
Support The MagPi by purchasing printed copies from one of our retailers - http://themagpi.com/en/buy

Please share with anyone who is interested!

Woll

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks Shawaj for your reply.
If the battery can power the Pi for 24 hours, can it be changed to a longer lasting battery?
Is there an of the shelf battery size that would fit the Pi Juice?
Who ate all the Pi's?

DirkS

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:45 am

Woll wrote:Thanks Shawaj can it be changed to a longer lasting battery?
From https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pijui ... te]Onboard 1400 mAh “off the shelf” Lipo / LiIon battery for ~6 hours in constant use! (with support for larger Lipo Battery of 5000 or 10,000 mAH+ to last up to 24 hrs +)[/quote]

karrika

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:10 am

Could you add the PiJuice pins to the http://pinout.xyz site?

I would love to know which pins it uses so I can avoid clashes with my DiscoHAT board. A PiJuice would be a great companion to DiscoHAT for reducing wires on stage. The show will take 3 hours at most. Does PiJuice have some kind of battery indicator to tell remaining operating time?

Edit: got it. Uses I2C and power pins. Silly me. Found it at Kickstarter front page. Use of I2C may become a problem for interfacing sound cards.

Woll

Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:48 pm

DirkS wrote:
Woll wrote:Thanks Shawaj can it be changed to a longer lasting battery?
From https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pijui ... te]Onboard 1400 mAh “off the shelf” Lipo / LiIon battery for ~6 hours in constant use! (with support for larger Lipo Battery of 5000 or 10,000 mAH+ to last up to 24 hrs +)
[/quote]

Thanks for that, I couldn't have looked at the description property.
Who ate all the Pi's?

Trixster

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:42 pm

It would appear that you can preorder this now from pi-supply with a 15% discount.

I backed this on Kickstarter nearly a year ago. My money was taken 9 months ago and we backers still haven't even been given a shipping date.

And now they're enabling anyone to preorder it with an estimated Jan 2016 shipping date CHEAPER than what the Kickstarter backers coughed up for it months and months ago.
It's not even shipped to us!

I gave them £65 for a pi solar. You can preorder one today for £55. Unbelievable.

Absolutely disgusting.

DirkS

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:55 am

Trixster wrote:And now they're enabling anyone to preorder it with an estimated Jan 2016 shipping date
https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pijui ... cba1185463 says end of March 2016

bugsy_malone 666

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:07 am

Woll wrote:Is anyone going to buy the Pi Juice Hat?
It's got an integrated real time clock. I wonder if you can program it to boot up and shut down your Pi?
The Pi Juice would be ideal to use instead of battery banks.

https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pijui ... cba1185463
I looked at this a while back when I was looking for a solution which it may solve, however the main issue was battery size for my application. Looking into it now I have done a bit of learning you could basically build your own. An RTC is about £1 from china, then you just need the appropriate battery pcb for the size of the battery installation you are using - so for a 4cell li-ion setup the right charger for the job, you then need a small voltage sensor circuit to determine when the batteries have hit the discharged state.

Now additionally for wake up and shut down events, the Pi cant go from being completely off to running on its own, however arduino microcontrollers can use tiny amounts of power and do this action.

So if you have the time you could build your own, but a fair bit of coding and bug sorting which is why you pay these people £25 and wait. Does seem fairly lengthy time frame though as I would have thought if I was going to do that sort of project, I'd build one first test it and work out the code, then get it made so it can go straight out as a polished product in a shorter time frame.

With regards to a zero size one or different batteries, I would say thats a product right there. You wouldnt have one the size of a zero because of the battery, however most Li-Ion setups in things such as wireless phones etc have a small 3 pin connector which s +/-/batt temp, I'd imagine you could set a limit of battery size to plug into the unit when sold, but means you could have something the size of the Zero with a plug in battery that can be mounted remotely or used on bigger Pis with more batteries to increase battery life.

mosespi

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:58 am

This looks like a simple product, but it's not. I made one too.. mine took... 500+ hours, 5 prototypes, 2,500 lines of code, several blown Pis, and a whole lot of head scratching. Now if you are making a one off for yourself.. it's something entirely different.

I'm not making excuses for the Pijuice folks.. I do think they dropped the ball. Maybe they haven't done something this complex, or are still finding their way around this product? Maybe they need engineers? I don't know. I have seen the first edition PCB in pictures and it looks like a BOM nightmare! I went into an entirely different direction and tried to simplify as much as possible. With that many parts they are going to have sourcing problems unless they are very careful to pick common parts and purchase quickly. A critical part can go out of stock and on a multi-month factory lead time in a matter of days. That is just one of the many small issues with bringing something like this to market, there are many many more.

I should have done a kickstarter.. instead of blowing my holiday money on the first batch myself!
But I'm starting to dislike kickstarter.. too many people I know still waiting for their hamster powered wheat-grass blender or whatever :?

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

macky42

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:53 am

They have posted an update today, now they have issues sourcing the battery and it may end up with a lower capacity than previously specified.
I can't remember what I wanted it for now :lol:

Trixster

Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Would you believe this project still hasn't shipped!!? :cry:

mosespi

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:43 pm

Trixster wrote:Would you believe this project still hasn't shipped!!? :cry:
It is a bit sad isn't it.. A little bit more sad is that it appears they are on a rinse and repeat cycle..

An interesting comment was posted.. the project leader of PiJuice is Aaron Shaw and the Chief Operation Manger of Sensly is also the same, but due to new company names, accounts, or whatever, they don't appear to be linked in any way on kickstarter. So one backing the new project has no idea they are severely behind on another.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/se ... escription

BTW, funny to notice a link called "Learn about accountability on Kickstarter"

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

klintkrossa

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Is there someone in UK that will start a representative action against PiJuice? I want a cease and desist order on all new products. All funds frozen until we get our product or a refund and our product.
Thanks
This is not like any other bulletin boards that I have been on. Been flamed on other BB's so bad I was afraid to ask.

All my Raspberry Pi's are like the Hessian artilleryman of Sleepy Hollow.

Return to “General discussion”