Antonio Corrado

Re: Idea on Media Transcoding

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:35 am

I\'ve thinking about using the RasPi as a performant, hw accelerated, media (video mostly) transcoder... Then lurking around i\'ve noticed that RasPi can encode OR decode in a time... so i\'m thinking if i can attach 2 RasPIs one that decode a media (XVID or MPEG or whatever else), send the decoded video (i don\'t know how) to the 2nd RasPI that encode the stream (in H264)...
The trancoding is needed because my Vids collection is really big. i0ve made some test with Handbrake and with the same perceived quality size of H264 file is 30% - 55% smaller than the orignal SD file...

Thanks in advance

st599

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Uncompressed P50 HD is around 3Gb/s and uncompressed SD is 270 Mb/s. You\'ll need a very good network to do that.

Antonio Corrado

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:01 pm

I was thinking at something like direct connetction via USB port... Doing so speed i think will be good enpigh at least for SD content...
PS my idea is something like send a chunk of uncompressed video from a keyframe to the next keyframe (these data can be collected by the XVID/DIVX file) and encode in H264 format on the second RasPI... and go on...

Asgo

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:09 pm

If looking at a bunch of videos to transcode, I would probably lean more towards a parallization of the transcoding process by distributing the workload over different boards than combining the process over multiple boards for one video file.

Some batch setup with an efficient trancoder per board is probably easier to find. ;)

Return to “General discussion”