W. H. Heydt

Want solderless headers for the Pi0?

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:38 pm

*Don't* go through ABRA. After sitting on an order for 10 days and then being *asked* why is was still "being processed", I was *then* told that the order had been canceled, the headers were out of stock and discontinued. That's *really* *bad* customer service. I'm not going to order anything from them...ever.

When I find another source, I'll add it to this thread (if the thread survives.)

solar3000

Re: Want solderless headers for the Pi0?

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:16 am

What are you talking about?
You mean you want to solder a header or a 40 pin connector to the pi zero?
Any standard one would do. Just cut it down to 20 + 20.
You can get those anywhere. They're cheap.
Antikythera

W. H. Heydt

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:52 am

solar3000 wrote:What are you talking about?
You mean you want to solder a header or a 40 pin connector to the pi zero?
Any standard one would do. Just cut it down to 20 + 20.
You can get those anywhere. They're cheap.
What part of "solderless" is unclear? Is Google down again?

There exist--or used to, anyway--header pins that can be inserted that don't need to be soldered in place. In addition, they can be removed again, should you wish to do so. I ordered some from ABRA. The order sat there for about 10 days, so I contacted them about the order. The response was "Order cancelled, please contact us." Now, silly me, I though just *had* contacted them, so I sent another e-mail. This time the response was that the solderless headers were out of stock and the company has discontinued them. Note...canceled order with NO notification until I asked THEM. Had they come back reasonably promptly with "Sorry...out of stock, discontinued", the most I might have done would have been to say, "Okay...do you know of another source?" As it is...not only will I not do business with them in the future, but I'll warn others not to either because of really horrible customer service.

stevech

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:59 am

Solderless header pins. I have some.
They have springy metal on one end. Press these into the PCB holes and you have a header pin row that doesn't have to be soldered.

They're hard to find now. Mine came from Sparkfun.com
mill-max makes some other types but they're costly

solar3000

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Never seen those before. Sounds interesting.
Doesn't look very reliable. I guess the pins are expanded. So I guess if you sneeze you would ruin your device.
Antikythera

solar3000

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:53 pm

So why are you frustrating yourself trying to bite your monitor?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=so ... s&_sacat=0
Antikythera

mattmiller

Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:56 pm

Where on there does it say 150 for $12? :)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:52 pm

WE HAVE SOLD ALL OUR CURRENT STOCK, WITH NO ETA ON MORE COMING IN, WE HAVE TEMPORARILY PREVENTED FURTHER PURCHASES OF THIS ITEM - CALL FOR LATEST NEWS
They were too expensive anyway at 10p per pin
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

mattmiller

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 pm

So why are you frustrating yourself trying to bite your monitor?
Not quite cost effective compared to buying 40 pins - taking them around the corner to a friends asking them to solder them on for you in exchange for a bottle of beer/prosecco :)

morphy_richards

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:21 am

Finding a good source of these will be immensely valuable.
I'm still planning for when (pi0) become mass available.
Take one class of primary school children.
Give each child (to keep) a pi0.
Pi0 in gadget Ethernet mode.
Solderless headers.
Motors, drivers, sensors, lights, stuff.
Spend a glorious day with them inventing.

Can't wait!
Last edited by morphy_richards on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:08 am

If soldering headers onto thirty Pi Zeros has you in a cold sweat, contact your local Amateur Radio club. There's at least one in every town and they are chock-full of lovely people who will volunteer to do the job for free.

OTOH, for one-off when you haven't got a soldering iron, then solderless headers are a good option to have.

mattmiller

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:20 am

@morphy_richards

IF the PiZero becomes widely available in our lifetimes, then I envisage a network of soldering geeks who would be more than happy to help out their local schools in soldering on headers for them

But a source of solderless pins would be very usefull :)

Matthew

morphy_richards

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:25 am

For the record I love soldering. I'm looking for a sustainable way to invite tens of children at a time to join us at our secondary, invent things on a pi0 and then keep their inventions.
I agree everyone should learn to solder. Doing this in a day with children from year 5 and 6 presents certain problems. What I envisage involves perhaps hundreds of pi0s over a few months being given to individual children. I suspect the most enthusiastic LAR members would struggle with that. (Although you have given me an an idea for something)

I've finally got my hands on one of these so I can now start playing, its quite an interesting challenge to try to find a way to attach electronics to the unpopulated header in a way that doesn't involve soldering. It can be done! (Somehow)

Also, just to point out that I'm not criticising the form of the pi0. It's price point is exactly what makes it suitable for this potential future project (once the craziness dies down) and like any project fiddling is required.

morphy_richards

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:15 pm

It's just occured to me that you can simply pass wire through an edge facing GPIO hole and wrap it around.
That means you can access all the even pins down the LH side. That's 5V, Gnd and a bunch of GPIOs which is all you would need for this level. (simple inputs, outputs and, say, PIR sensors)
And it naturally then leads you to want to learn to solder to access the other side. :)
Attachments
wrap_pi.jpg
wrap_pi.jpg (29.82 KiB) Viewed 5050 times

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:19 pm

morphy_richards wrote:It's just occured to me that you can simply pass wire through an edge facing GPIO hole and wrap it around.
It depends how fast you want your Zero to die when a 5V0 wire short circuits to GPIO.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

morphy_richards

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:24 pm

DougieLawson wrote: It depends how fast you want your Zero to die when a 5V0 wire short circuits to GPIO.
I think you could probably do it fairly safely. Even better if you avoid 5V altogether.

Everything in life is a bit risky. I'm still kicking myself for connecting the terminals of a golf buggy battery the wrong way round and blowing up my telly. I wont be doing that again!

NickT

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:31 pm

morphy_richards wrote:
DougieLawson wrote: It depends how fast you want your Zero to die when a 5V0 wire short circuits to GPIO.
I think you could probably do it fairly safely
Well, I couldn't.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:19 pm

I could, but I'm not so sure about primary school children. Just one over-long end and what they are building won't work.

morphy_richards

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:31 pm

rurwin wrote:I could, but I'm not so sure about primary school children. Just one over-long end and what they are building won't work.
Thanks for being a sounding board...

I will test the idea with some of the less 'delicate' year 7s here at some point next week. I'm 75% sure my pi0 will survive. In the future when they are readily available the odd loss will be no disaster anyway.

I'm thinking by using the gnd that is halfway down the column and the GPIOs on the bottom half only (and staying far away from the top where the 5Vs live) the worst that can happen is that it wont work and a quick visual check would reveal the problem.

I was also worrying that you would lose access to a lot of pins in Scratch GPIO but I think this isn't an issue in the new version as you can assign any GPIO as input or output.

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:47 pm

morphy_richards wrote:
I will test the idea with some of the less 'delicate' year 7s here at some point next week. I'm 75% sure my pi0 will survive. In the future when they are readily available the odd loss will be no disaster anyway.
I think you're bonkers and will be spending £5 to replace dead Pis on a regular basis. Just bite the bullet and solder in male pins or (better?) female sockets.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

morphy_richards

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:11 pm

DougieLawson wrote: I think you're bonkers.
Correct.
But I'm pretty optimistic about this because we will be giving the pi's to the kids. (We have a special fund for that sort of thing) Ownership lends itself to greater care. The activities can include practice into wrapping wire and buddy checking.
There's no way I can do the soldering, I'm flitting from half finished job to job at the best of times and relying on the good will of others ad infinitum isn't sustainable.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:12 pm

These might be worth experimenting with: 200 x Ted Ceramic Bead Ring Head Gold Tone Copper PCB Test Pin Terminals
I have no idea if they would fit or make a secure connection.

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:28 pm

Simple, teach the kids to solder. You can make it really hard for them with hotter irons and lead free solder.

morphy_richards

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:39 pm

rurwin wrote:These might be worth experimenting with: 200 x Ted Ceramic Bead Ring Head Gold Tone Copper PCB Test Pin Terminals
I have no idea if they would fit or make a secure connection.
Worth a punt will order some, thank you :)

Return to “General discussion”