pmcmorris

Re: Tiered donation release?

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:39 pm

I like the really idea of pairing the initial release with a donation. As someone serious about developing software for the device, I don\'t mind paying more to get access to the first batch rather than having to wait to get started.

But given the demand and the limited availability, I think that there will be problems with people buying them just to sell to others. Unfortunately, the cost is low enough that doubling it probably wont be enough to deter scalping. To some, it might seem unfair that the foundation take advantage of the situation. The reality is that if they don\'t someone else will. I personally would much rather that the profits from scarcity went to the foundation.

I\'d much rather see the concept taken farther where there is a tiered release. Maybe something like selling 2000 units a day were the price drops each day. That way, the people who are willing to pay more for the opportunity of getting a head start have a better chance.

Picking the right starting price might still be an issue. I\'d have no issues paying $500 to get started right away. The fact that its going to a cause that I obviously believe in is even better.

I guess I just don\'t like the idea of scrambling to get a device first vs. people who don\'t event want them. They\'re just there to make a profit off of the others. I think an auction system for the first release is a much better way of dealing with the issue. I think this is true for serious developers and the foundation.

Just my 2 cents.

abishur

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 pm

I\'ve also been worrying about this but 2 things have been tempering me. The first is that the community for the most part has been complete geeks. As a rule geeks tend to be good at math and understand that paying 5x the price for a computer whose very nature is to be affordable when they could spend the same money and get a more powerful beagleboard is loco.

The second thing I realize is that while we think this is amazingly awesome, it\'s not quite PS3 level of popularity. I don\'t think anyone would be able to drive up the price enough to make mass purchasing and auctioning off on eBay would recoup his/her loses. And the image of a person loosing out when trying to scam others makes me laugh :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Yup - we\'ll be doing that. :)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Montekuri

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:23 pm

If the commerce site allow this kind of setup, you could limit the unit sell by credit card or Paypal number.

electrodacus

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:20 am

Limiting the number of devices sold to one person is the method I prefer.
I do not like the idea of donation. I do not want to explain here but I will only buy when the total = price of the device + shipping.

pmcmorris

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:43 am

I think those are fair perspectives as well. It just depends on what your goals are.

Obviously, paying a higher price for the same hardware isn\'t good value for your money. But I dont really care much about the device. What I really value is my time, and I want the board so that I can start development instead of just talking about it. What I\'m paying for is the time between this initial release and the final release and that head start is worth a premium to me.

If you\'re more interested in the device itself rather then development time, this is closer to a consumer perspective. In that case, you probably shouldn\'t buy an alpha board. Wait till the design is complete, then buy a final version at the regular price. Then you wont be upset if it turns out that there are significant changes required due to bugs in the initial design. A consumer really doesn\'t want to deal with the growing pains of development. They just want it to work do they can do things with it.

That\'s just not me, I\'m on the development side. I want it now so that I can start porting stuff. I don\'t care if its not perfect (I\'ll buy a new on later). What I\'m paying for is my time. The fact that the extra money goes to a charity is really just icing.

obarthelemy

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:39 am

I seem to remember marketing classes about Time Utility and Place Utility having value, ie a cab ride is worth more before your meeting than after, and a glass of water is worth more in a desert than next to a brook. Let\'s assume some people attach a high time utility to the Pi, and some, not so much. If batch number 2 is launched as soon as batch #1 is sold (not delivered, not even sent out, just sold), and manufacturing+logistics time is 2 weeks, then waiting for the non-BOGO prices sets you back 2 weeks. Most people won\'t care that much ?

pmcmorris

Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:51 am

Yes. The actual lead time would affect the premium. :)

Two weeks, not a big deal. Two months, that would certainly be worth something.

Thunder__X

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:31 am

[quote]Quote from electrodacus on November 11, 2011, 03:20
I do not like the idea of donation. I do not want to explain here but I will only buy when the total = price of the device + shipping.[/quote]

I agree, donation should be something that is optional with purchase. I\'m sure you\'ll get more people actually buying a PI and donating than you\'d have someone paying an inflated price.

abishur

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:58 am

[quote]Quote from Thunder__X on November 11, 2011, 05:31
[quote]Quote from electrodacus on November 11, 2011, 03:20
I do not like the idea of donation. I do not want to explain here but I will only buy when the total = price of the device + shipping.[/quote]

I agree, donation should be something that is optional with purchase. I\'m sure you\'ll get more people actually buying a PI and donating than you\'d have someone paying an inflated price.[/quote]

Well the good news is that it\'s been fully confirmed that you will have the option of buy one individually without having to donate one as well. They\'re only discussing the situation at the very initial release of the pi :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Montekuri

Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:49 am

[quote]Quote from abishur on November 11, 2011, 05:58
[Well the good news is that it\'s been fully confirmed that you will have the option of buy one individually without having to donate one as well. They\'re only discussing the situation at the very initial release of the pi :)[/quote]
That\'s really good news.
But still have to limit the purchases. I know they are going to think a good way to do it.

Return to “General discussion”