ausppc

Interest in HaikuOS / BeOS ?

Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:16 pm

How many RPi users would like to try HaikuOS (formerly BeOS) if it was ported to this platform?

Early porting efforts have begun: https://www.haiku-os.org/guides/building/port_status

and I want to encourage more progress by offering a bounty - which I have posted about here:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=127306&p=851788&hi ... ku#p851788

here: https://www.haiku-os.org/community/foru ... ing_bounty

and here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/haikuos ... 467519737/

stderr

Re: Interest in HaikuOS / BeOS ?

Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:25 pm

ausppc wrote:How many RPi users would like to try HaikuOS (formerly BeOS) if it was ported to this platform?
Haiku has been attempting to take ReactOS on for being stuck at alpha stage the longest. I know that seems impossible but they are really going for it! At least ReactOS releases a new alpha every few years.

It seems to me, and this is just an opinion, I know, but doesn't it make more sense to get something going on one architecture before worrying that much about more of them? Certainly make a plan for how you can support other hardware but to worry too much about it with essentially nothing in production is counter-productive.

ausppc

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:17 am

I don't see that porting work for various low level components, such as the ARM kernel, should be put off until completion of the x86 beta release - nor that it would be counter productive.

stderr

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:25 am

ausppc wrote: nor that it would be counter productive.
Would it take developers off of the main project? Unless something has changed in the last few months, they haven't even released a new alpha in *years*.

Now I've read that they think this would take too much effort and it would detract from their moving forward with the project itself. If you don't have enough people to just do an alpha release every once in a while, you would seem pretty short staffed.

Am I wrong, is there a new release? Is there a plan for when a new release, even another alpha, will come out?

jjex22

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:56 am

stderr wrote:
ausppc wrote:How many RPi users would like to try HaikuOS (formerly BeOS) if it was ported to this platform?
Haiku has been attempting to take ReactOS on for being stuck at alpha stage the longest.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah react... yes there was quite the buzz about them around the time vista came out - some circles indicated that a 1.0 were less than 2 years away at that point. Now that would be a silly port to ARM wouldn’t it? Or maybe they could just give up on where they are and leap forwards to win 10 embedded. It's a bit like the darwin guys - you can take what you've got and fork it, but trying to keep pace with a corporate machine like MS or Apple is going to take some serious amounts of volunteers.

But yeah sure, port Haiku! I don't know about BeOS itself, that's kind of just being cared for by some computer history people now isnt it? Probably better effort would be applied to supporting one of the IA-32 emulators for Pi2 and it's descendants. I do personally share stderr's view that is there hasn't been another release in three years, that maybe indicates they don't have the resources right now to maintain other architectures. At the same time though, the compilers exist, the source code is there, and it's not that difficult to port FOSS software - I used to do it from time to time when I was the guy refusing to give up on PPC - it's just time consuming to check it's working. If somebody wants to do it all the power to them... though at the end of it, it looks like the main release will still be the same alpha?

I'm personally not too fussed about the BSD's on Pi - shoot me down if necessary, they just run heavy these days IMHO - but I'd quite like a minix3 port for the 1st gen Pi's, and maybe a dedicated fork of the beagle board release specific to the pi 2 to make it a little easier for the uninitiated, just because I think its qualities suit the pi project.

Jim
I had the idea for a single board computer in every seat on airplanes... but it all just seemed a bit Pi in the Sky!

ausppc

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:27 am

jjex22 wrote:If somebody wants to do it all the power to them...
Hence a bounty.

btw https://www.facebook.com/groups/reactos ... 635234373/

Return to “General discussion”