bartman2589

Pin Headers for status LED's and Possible Power Switch?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:42 am

While I don't as of yet own a Raspberry Pi, I was wondering if there are any plans to provide pin headers for connecting external status LED's (for when the Raspberry Pi is installed in an enclosure), or even a jumper for possibly connecting an external power switch (2 pin jumper pad inline on the +5VDC line perhaps?), that way users who wished to connect an external power switch could do so easily, while users who do not need that capability would only need to leave the jumper installed across the 2 pins of the jumper pad. I know that these features would mean a very minuscule increase in production cost (the pin headers are VERY cheap when purchased in bulk), aside from having to make a few small changes in the board design to accomodate the pin headers/jumper pads of course. I'm sure those individuals who plan on using the Raspberry Pi to make things like media center devices would appreciate having the ability to easily connect status indicator LED's and/or a Power Switch to the front panel of the enclosure they end up mounting the Raspberry PI in. Granted a competent modder could just cut the circuit traces on the +5VDC line and solder a pigtail with a switch in place but having a jumper pad would make it infinitely easier for even non modders to add a power switch to the unit if they desire. And of course the same applies for the status indicators, a competent modder could desolder the existing LED's and solder in a couple of pigtails connected to standard or mini LED's that they could then mount to the front panel of their enclosure (or simply solder the leads from their pigtail to the existing LED solder pads while leaving the existing LED's in place), once again non modders could easily benefit from having this capability as well. This would also make it much easier to make a 'cleaner looking' project instead of having it look like something that was hacked together in 5 minutes.

AndrewS

Re: Pin Headers for status LED's and Possible Power Switch?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:44 am

Nice suggestions, but the RPF have repeatedly said that low-cost is one of the primary aims of the device, and there are no current plans to make any changes to the board. So you'll need to get handy with your soldering iron... ;)

jerrylamos

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:26 pm

I use power strips on all my pc's and tv's to cut down the parasitic power load and protect partially from power surges. The Pi uses a TV, external power, and the micro USB power all of which would stay on if I didn't use a power strip.

An LED might be interesting.

Jerry

d0vr

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:01 am

Sorry to raise an old thread from the dead, but has anyone actually hacked/modified their pi's status LED's? I too would like to move the LED's to another location on an enclosure, but would much prefer to see someone who has done it first and successfully....

Otherwise, what options do I have besides soldering some 10 way ribbon wire onto those teeny tiny pads and using a 10 way IDC type connector?

klricks

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:55 pm

d0vr wrote:Sorry to raise an old thread from the dead, but has anyone actually hacked/modified their pi's status LED's? I too would like to move the LED's to another location on an enclosure, but would much prefer to see someone who has done it first and successfully....

Otherwise, what options do I have besides soldering some 10 way ribbon wire onto those teeny tiny pads and using a 10 way IDC type connector?

A power LED indicator (LED + resistor) could be done via the 5V or 3V3 GPIO power pins.

Have you considered using light pipe tubing of some sort?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

d0vr

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:09 pm

klricks wrote: power LED indicator (LED + resistor) could be done via the 5V or 3V3 GPIO power pins.

Have you considered using light pipe tubing of some sort?
Hi klricks, I hadn't considered powering a power LED from one of the GPIO pins. That could work. I had considered the possibilty of light pipes but the intended use would be for a rack mount set up and I'm not sure it would be economical to do so, money or spacewise. I'm open to any ideas anyone else has. Thanks for the reply, that will certainly help with lighting the power switch.

chrisryall

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:12 pm

I'm learning about my Pi on a breadboard (literally!) attached with one of the standard "breakout" devices. First thing I did was LED the 3 and 5V spines on the board so I could be aware what's live. It obviously serves as an 'on' light as well as it's direct wired to the power pins. I think it's had the right psychological effect (computing literate; soldering, a complete NOOB). Nothing has been fried yet. Fingers still crossed

As my projects get more adventurous I plan to add further warning lights in ways yet to be imagined. Those little electrons are dangerously invisible (notwithstanding the present Northern Lights TV stuff)!

Return to “General discussion”