Milead

512mb ram

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Hi Max!
2 questions:

1:how could one donate to back this awesome work up?
2:does the latest version take advantage of the newer model's 512mb RAM?

Thanks

strasharo

Re: Berryboot v1.1 - Boot menu / OS installer

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 am

troubadixx wrote:Hi Max,

thanks for the quick answer.

The thing is: I'm sitting right next to my Pi. Just don't want to connect more than power and ethernet.
Same here, my PI is in the room next to me, only power and ethernet are attached to it. I don't have a monitor, so every time I need a reboot I must attach it to the TV. :cry:

Axilot

Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Why don't you reboot via ssh?

strasharo

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:41 pm

It can be rebooted via ssh, however you can't enter the LUKS password through it in order to boot it again.

Axilot

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:23 am

It seems that is possible through dropbear.
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/579

totoharibo

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:06 am

it is possible to connect with ssh without password.
have a look on :
http://www.linuxproblem.org/art_9.html

But for this you need a static address for RPi.
That's done in /etc/network/interface.

Many explanations how to do that anywhere.

strasharo

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Axilot wrote:It seems that is possible through dropbear.
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/579
This option was already discussed here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 09#p269109
totoharibo wrote:it is possible to connect with ssh without password.
have a look on :
http://www.linuxproblem.org/art_9.html

But for this you need a static address for RPi.
That's done in /etc/network/interface.

Many explanations how to do that anywhere.
Public key authentication has nothing to do with the LUKS password.

WeUsePis

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:17 am

OK, took a while longer than hoped, but today I managed to give Berryboot a try. It is about the best piece of software I ever had the fortune to use. It works great! The static IP configuration was a breeze and downloading the various OS was a snap. I hooked up an external 40GB hard drive via USB hub to the Pi and that worked flawlessly, all OS files are on the external drive which seems to perform better than having everything on the SD card.
Looking through the posts and the Berryterminal web site only revealed that "Max" created this excellent tool. With that, thank you so much Max! This is just phantabulous!
Our Pi Blog - http://weusepis.wordpress.com/

jjachna

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:36 am

I have been using BerryBoot for a few weeks now, and I was very pleased at how easy it was to install an image and that I have the option of adding additional operating systems in the future. For now, though, I only have one OS, and my only displeasure with the BerryBoot is having to wait ten seconds for the OS selection screen to automatically boot my default OS (since my current application will use the RPi without a monitor, mouse, or keyboard). Is there a way to adjust this time (or eliminate it altogether) that BerryBoot waits before booting? Thanks for your help.

Axilot

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:47 pm

It's explained previous in this thread.
You can now enter a custom boot menu timeout duration. Click the "advanced configuration" button, go to the "cmdline.txt" tab and
add "bootmenutimeout=<number of seconds>" or use "nobootmenutimeout" to not boot the default OS automatically.

2amTech

Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:54 am

I'm trying to use an alternate kernel that I built but simply replacing the kernel uImage in berryboot isn't the right way to do it. You end up with errors after "Mounting RW data directory on top" with devices unable to mount and a fatal switch_root error.

What is the right way to add/replace a kernel when using Berryboot??
Do you have to rebuild the OS image?

2amTech

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:09 am

What is the right way to add/replace a kernel when using Berryboot??
Do you have to rebuild the OS image?
Ack! I'm still fighting with this.
It looks like the kernel itself has to be built a specific way?
Any help is appreciated.

antonholmstedt

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Max,

Just wanted to let you know about a potential problem with BB that seems to be solved:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 40#p306440

edward81

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:11 pm

help.
I have installed berryboot with debian raspian.
But i end up with a trouble with my external hdd. when i start the Pi some time mi usbhdd and my usbkey get swapped (sda and sdb). i tried by reediting the /etc/fstab and putting the mount point of my external hdd from sda to sdb (like i said some time the drive device get swapped).
Now i restarted the pi and the boot failed with some errors about not finding all the dir.
I decided to revert back the fstab. I mounted the usbkey on my kubuntu and then i mounted (sudo mount ~/Debian_Wheezy_Raspbian_2012.12.img192 /media/fs/ -t squashfs -o loop,ro ) the image inside it (Debian_Wheezy_Raspbian_2012.12.img192) but inside this file i can't find my data.
I put back the usbkey on the PI and lauched the filesystem check in the berryboot menu that have found a loot of errors. At the end i managed to boot on the Pi but all my data is erased...the user password is the default one (raspberry).

Long story short how i can recover my data ?

fred123

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 am

I have a problem using VNC.
I can use VNC to do the initial setup and download an OS, when I reboot I cannot connect with VNC again. If I connect a monitor it shows a mmessage to use VNC.. If I remove the vnc install option it is booting correctly. Is there any thing special I need to do to use VNC to select the os to boot.

forumisto

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:07 pm

what is the minimum SD card size for BerryBoot?
I want to install the SOs on an external hard disk.

Thanks.

forumisto

Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:27 am

Hello

I have tried the last version of berryboot, and my question is: why not it includes more links for other operanting systems? or a link to a repository?

Thanks

moocow1452

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Could you add RasPlex to the list of operating systems?

http://rasplex.com/

howie954

Writing Two 8 Gigabyte Images to one 16 Gigabyte SD Card

Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:24 pm

I have two 8 gigabyte SD Cards each with a separate image. one SD Card is for RASPBMC and the other is Wheezy. I have an image backup for each. Can I simply take a 16 Gigabyte SD Card and Partition it to two 8 Gigabyte partitions and write both 8 gigabyte images to the same SD Card to its own respective partition? Then upon boot be asked which OS I want to boot up at? Basically what I am trying to do is have the ability to use one SD Card to write both my images to so that if I want to go from RASPBMC to Wheezy or vice-verse all I need to do is a reboot.

strasharo

Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 am

Max wrote:
troubadixx wrote: Question: Can I log in remotely to Berryboot in order to enter the disk encryption password? I. e., without the need for keyboard and monitor to be connected to the RadpberryPi?
No.
There are some practical safety issues with that, in particular with ensuring that the computer you are sending your password to over the Internet is actually your Pi, and that your Pi has not been tampered with.
Perhaps we can work around it by using a LUKS keyfile on a flash drive? :?:

sixpintsid

Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 pm

What is the best method to update OE to 2.99.5 as the auto-update does not seem to work. I have a dual boot with OE 2.99.4 and Debian. I have made the necessary adjustments so that I can now ssh into OE using winscp. Do I copy all 4 files into .update or just the 2 system files. On reboot will it then perform the update?

Sid

Sorry please ignore, found earlier post and now sorted.

wes

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:57 pm

hello

I have installed berry boot and would like to add chameleon to the boot selection.
I am using windows7, downloaded the image,moved it to a usb stick and placed into the pi.

when i hold the add os button in the menu and choose usb, the image does not appear as a selection.

do i have to format the usb stick a paritular way before i place the image onto it or do i have to use linux to put the image onto the stick?

thanks
Wes

Axilot

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 am

After few second holding the button "add os" you should see a new line in the drop down menù "copy OS from Usb stick", remenber that you have to convert your file system image to SquashFS format first.
As explained here
http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/b ... tributions

Axilot

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:23 am

I'm trying to make a kali linux image for berryboot as I've already successfully do with arch linux,
but it seems that only one partition loop0p1 is present in the image, is it possible?
the image is "kali-linux-1.0-armhf.img.gz"
http://archive-4.kali.org/kali-images/k ... mhf.img.gz

forumisto

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:30 pm

are there images of xbian and raspbmc fro berryboot?

thanks

Return to “General discussion”