matthewtb

Re: Downloadable content

Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:59 am

Hi

Can i download anything onto RPi? Like Google chrome...Firefox...Google Earth?

Thanks

MTB

mikeanthonywild

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:00 am

If it has binaries for ARM (not a normal x86 PC) then it will run on the RPi. Similarly if there is source code available for the project then you should be able to compile it on the RPi with maybe a few changes, even if it doesn\'t have an ARM binary.

So Chromium should work (Open source Google Chrome), Firefox will work, Google Earth I\'m not so sure about.

Montekuri

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:07 am

It is written in the FAQs:
\"Will it run <insert name of program here>?
In general, you need to look to see whether the program you want can be compiled for the ARMv6 architecture. In most cases the answer will be yes. Specific programs are discussed on our forum, so you might want to look there for an answer.
\"

abishur

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:26 pm

A lot of those programs should already exist in the <insert name of your chosen distro here>\'s software repository. But I\'m hoping that as the pi\'s come out of the oven we\'ll see threads emerging about general tips for recompiling your program of choice (and dependencies) onto the r-pi. I\'m not 100% certain how the official repositories work, but I\'m hoping we can get one setup by the community where we can upload re-complied programs for our distro of choice :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Warringer

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:44 pm

If anything fails, get the sources and compile it yourself.

obarthelemy

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Example. Let\'s assume you Pi is running Debian. You want some program.
1- look in my sig, debain-armel packages, to see if that package exists in precompiled form for debian/ARM.
2- if it does, type apt-get <package>
3- if it doesn\'t, all is not lost, go to the package\'s website, and check in the Download section and Forum if they don\'t have a semi-official package. If they do, download it, and then its either uncompressing it (pretty much like in Windows) or installing it like with apt-get.
4- if they don\'t have binaries, then you still can get the package: get the source and compile it. I just did it for the first time 2 weeks ago, it takes 5 minutes to do, 1h to understand the first time with a friendly helper, and 2-3hrs without, with a few failed attempts ^^
4- if the package has neither ARM-compiled binaries or source code available, then you just crashed into a wall ^^

Return to “General discussion”