pizzaboy192

Re: Check device compatibility before getting a pi?

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 pm

I\'m curious if there\'s a way to check if some of the hardware that I currently own is compatible with a pi before I purchase one. I have a few different linux boxes laying around, and I\'ve tested most of the hardware that I want to work in Ubuntu. It seems to be pretty simple, being plug it in and it starts working.
I\'m just curious if it will be the same with the pi. The main device being my ATI Remote Wonder. I plugged it into Ubuntu and it seems to function like a USB HID remote, but I don\'t know if the same will be true on the distro the pi is using.
I have the VirtualBox VM on my desktop for pi. Would that work to test my hardware in?

obarthelemy

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:58 pm

as long as it\'s not dependent on specific hardware, it should. I think the ATI remote wonder comes with a usb dongle + the remote, so your ARM/Pi VM should be a valid test. You\'ll be plugging the dongle the same way on the Pi as on the PC.

mikeanthonywild

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:00 pm

The R-Pi doesn\'t use a specific distro, it\'s whatever you put on there. Although I believe that Debian will be the main supported distro. With regards to whether a device works or not, I think the most common drivers are built into the kernel, so as long as you use a relatively modern kernel then you should be fine. Unfortunately this only applies for open-source drivers. I\'m not a Linux expert so I\'m not sure about where you\'d take it from there, but I\'d have said that if they don\'t offer a binary driver for ARM then you\'re out of luck. I could be wrong though.

pizzaboy192

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:21 pm

I would assume that there is support built in to linux for the remote because as soon as I plugged it in to my netbook, I was able to start using it.
I will try to use the VirtualBox USB passthrough later this weekend to test it on the RapPi VM.

Return to “General discussion”