jambomac

Re: Farnell VS RS delivery times

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:12 pm

Ok Guys,

For what it's worth. Received my Rasp Pi this morning at 11.15 am.
A total of 15 days from online order to delivery (Glasgow) very impressed,
but still to check it out.

Well done "Farnell".

billy

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 am

Cancelled with RS on 29 August.

Ordered with Farnell on 29 August.

E-mail notifying me that Pi has been dispatched today.

Happy bunny!

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:11 am

Ordered from Farnell on the 28th August and just got notification that it has shipped.
My order with RS that I placed on the 29th June is now not expected until October some time.

So, if you want a Pi in a timely manner it looks like Farrell are the people to go with.

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to cancel my RS order.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

troombatzia

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:40 pm

I've got my confirmation email from Farnell.

Farnell:
Ordered Aug 30th (expected shipping 3 weeks)
Shipped Sep 4th (5 days - 3 working)
Ref Order ORP075***

RS:
Ordered June 30th (expected shipping 12 weeks) - Order 133***
Late August order cancelled for more 4 weeks shipping delay.
Refunded within 3 days.
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

ghayne

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:43 pm

winkleink wrote:Ordered from Farnell on the 28th August and just got notification that it has shipped.
My order with RS that I placed on the 29th June is now not expected until October some time.

So, if you want a Pi in a timely manner it looks like Farrell are the people to go with.

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to cancel my RS order.
Me too, it may take a little longer to reach Germany but it will be arriving
a lot quicker than the one I ordered with RS on the 4th July :-)

twocvbloke

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:51 pm

winkleink wrote:Ordered from Farnell on the 28th August and just got notification that it has shipped.
Likewise, got the email at 11:15am from Farnell, so it's in the post, loooooooooong before the December prediction from my initial order with RS, so now won't have to wait until after christmas to play with my Pi!!! :mrgreen:

I've still yet to source a case and PSU though, and my TV I was planning to use it with (as it has composite inputs) has blown up, so a new (to me) TV too... :|

canibalimao

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:29 am

canibalimao wrote:
bobc47 wrote:I ordered mine from Newark / Element 14 on Aug 11 and got notified it was shipped yesterday by priority mail so I should have it by friday. They initially said it would be shipped the first week of september so they are a little ahead

Bob
canibalimao wrote:Does anyone knows if Farnell is fulfilling the expected delivery time?
I ordered my first Pi on 30th June on RS, but after reading the warnings here and after try to contact RS without success, I ordered another one today on Farnell (ORP072***). I just want to know if it will take those 3 weeks to arrive, or if they are dalayed.
My order (placed on 20th this month) was shipped today from Farnell. I hope it arrive next week as planed on the shipping report.

Excellent job Element 14 :D
15 days after the order, Pi arrived! Let's put OpenELEC on it and play a little bit!

Once again, excellent job from Element 14!

pmj1979

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:35 am

I ordered from RS on the 30th March. on the 28th August I received an email, like many others did, saying the order would be delayed by up to 9 weeks. :evil:
I emailed Farnell to confirm that their website advert or delivery within three weeks was accurate... then ordered without waiting for a reply (I want my Pi!). I did get a reply the next day saying:
Good morning

Please be advised that the lead time of future orders for the Raspberry PI is 3 weeks at the moment. We are currently awaiting a delivery and then we are advising our customers that the product is becoming more frequent for delivery to Farnell.

Hope this helps.
Six days later I got an email from Farnell saying the Pi had been shipped! :D

I have my little box if bits at the ready; mouse, KB, mini to micro adapter, charger, hdd, sd cards, wifi dongle etc... Thinking of ideas now on where to start and what I can do with it.

To keep on topic, RS have disappointed me by not sending anything, not even a reply to emails since March and I wouldnt use them for anything else. I ordered the Gertboard three weeks ago from Farnell and wish I had used them from the start. Professional and quick to respond to questions. Within a week I was told the item had been shipped and assuming Royal Mail can deliver i'll have it in a day or two. And Farnell dont take your money until they have your item to send!
Pi from Element14 (still not got the first Pi from RS :( )
Rev2 board | Belkin 7Port powered hub | ASUS N10 WiFi | Logitech Wired Mouse | Behavior Tech Wired KB

sgegreen

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Ordered from Farnell on Sunday 2nd September, shipping today Wednesday 5th September.

Meanwhile an email from RS, from whom I had ordered on 29th June...

Dear Stephen,

To help make your job more easier...this summer we are bringing you more great improvements to our online service.

We know your time is too precious to waste. That's why we are improving two areas on our online service to you:

Our basket and checkout area will make ordering online from RS more easier and efficient.

Our new Order History will allow you to stay more in control by managing each and every order placed with RS from you and others placed within your organisation, over the last 13-months.
Want to know more? Simply click here to watch our short video clips.

It's what you've been waiting for and it's all coming soon.

Kind Regards,

Sam Edwards
Head of UK Marketing
rswww.com

Well, Sam at RS Marketing, you have some way to go to beat Farnell!

twocvbloke

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:50 am

My Pi has just arrived!!! :mrgreen:

Ordered 28th August, Received notification of being shipped, 4th September, and arrival on the 6th, 10 days from order to arrival, perfectly timed for the arrival of my new Ikea "Vilgot" chair too... :lol:

And had I stuck it out with RS, I'd still be waiting... :lol:

Just goes to show, do your research before jumping the gun like I did, seeing as I went with RS before I even signed up on this forum, and learned that they're not behaving like a supplier should be...

ninja12innotts

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:19 pm

Looking at the delivery times quoted by both companies and the feedback on here I opted for ordering from Farnell last night.

Just had a confirmation email that it has shipped and to expect it within 2 to 5 working days.

littletaro

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:09 pm

I am really really impressed by the turnaround and delivery time of element14 (Farnell), had an order with RS which was made on June 29 w/ 124xxx order number. Had patiently waited for the delivery from RS until i saw element14 carrying stock in their SG warehouse.

That was actually yesterday night. Made an order with element14 just before midnight, and it arrived at my doorstep at noon today! Serious props to the people there! Happy and loyal customer.

Now time to meddle with my Pi. :lol:

RaspberryCheesecake

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:10 am

Update on my Pi order:

Ordered from Farnell following cancellation of RS order (after 5week delay email) on Friday 31st August. Got an email to say that it had been shopped on Wednesday 5th September, great work Farnell. I'm hoping for a UK made one too!

pluggy

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:37 am

I got my Farnell ordered board today within a week a week of ordering, again after cancelling my ordered in June - wait until October RS one. Yes, its a Rev 2 "Made in the UK". There is absolutely no reason whatever to entertain RS any longer. 5 Months for a made in China ? I don't think so.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Gunslinger

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:38 pm

I ordered with RS, after their recent update about even more delays I decided to try Farnell. They shipped the next day.

Oh well, it's your loss, RS. *cancels order*

hawkachu

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:34 pm

Well thats my order from RS now canceled :evil:

Business now goes to Farnell

all because of NO customer communication!

It doesn't cost to send an email!

and with the number of people just wanting to have clarification you would think a mass email could be sent.

i shouldn't have to chase RS up RS should have been giving me information..
they had my money after all

but the fact that the pi now has made in the UK by Farnell is a bonus :)

RS! lessons need to be learned or you'll fine people voting with there feet

i have.......... its your turn........
\m/ ( . ) \m/ Rockin with 2 Farnell Raspberry Pi's Rev 1 & 2 (UK) \m/ ( . ) \m/
Rev 1 is a Tinker-Pi, Rev 2 building in a Radio/Audio mixing desk project

sgegreen

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Ordered from RS 29th June, expected delivery mid-October or later.

Ordered from Farnell 2nd September, delivered 8th September.

Confusingly, box was labelled 'China' but board says 'Made in the UK'.

The board came so fast I'm still waiting for power supply and leads from eBay (case arrived).

RS order now cancelled, I'll order a second board from Farnell when refund arrives.

I think RS' only hope now is to ship all boards with 512MB RAM...

Rhndy

Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:38 pm

I ordered at RS the 28th of August. Cancelled on 29-08 because i heard Farnell was faster.
Ordered at Farnell.

4th of September: Sent them an e-mail regarding the date of shipping, got an e-mail 5 minutes later that it was shipped.

Now i'm waiting.... can't wait any longer!

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:30 pm

sgegreen wrote: Confusingly, box was labelled 'China' but board says 'Made in the UK'.
I suspect farnell's stock system doesn't understand the concept of one SKU with multiple possible countries of origin.

sgegreen

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:13 pm

CPC/Farnell order placed 2nd September, shipped 5th September, delivered 8th September.

RS order from 29th June cancelled 8th September, PayPal refund 12th September, will be back in bank account 14th September.

RS refunds take almost the same time as CPC/Farnell orders!

MattHawkinsUK

Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm

I updated the RPi Wikipedia page to swap the RS web link for the Farnell link. Seemed crazy to point potential buyers to RS when then can order today from CPC/Farnell and probably get one within the week.

I will be cycling home particularly fast this evening as I think my new Pi is waiting for me at home ...
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

mellett68

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 pm

Cancelled my RS order in the end, after a colleague placed a second order with Farnell and his was dispatched the next day.

RS refunded without issue and next working day (still quoted 14 days in email)

My Pi should be with me tomorrow and no outstanding business with RS so I guess it's worked out ok.

Feel bad for RS but they had the same start Farnell did and I was getting jealous of all the people posting 'I'm ordering my second Pi' while I was still waiting for my first (harumph!)

W. H. Heydt

Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Order from Newark/Element 14 (US sub. of Farnell)

Ordered: 26 August
Estimated time to ship: 47 days
Actually shipped: 6 Sept. (UPS Ground)
Arrived: 12 Sept.

Version 0003 (Rev. 1, 0 ohm "F!" &"F2", no D14)

trepz

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Ordered from Farnell on 29 of August
Shipped on september 4th
Arrived today (13rd) in Italy

Oh and it's also a Rev 2 "made in the UK".

Go with Farnell guys. They sure know how to handle this.

JustPat

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:48 pm

My experience with the two companies. ;)

Cancelled Order with Allied (after waiting for 2 months): September 10
Ordered with Element 14: September 10
Shipping Confirmation: September 11
Pi Arrives at My House: September 12

We have a winner!

Return to “General discussion”