Page 1 of 1

Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:16 am
by Bosse_B
I have several RPi unit sitting on my desktop and each has a charger plug as power supply occupying one power wall outlet each.
Now I am getting annoyed about this situation and want to get a single multi-channel power supply/charger instead.
Is there any recommendation as to which product I should choose?

I see several on the market and they often cite an "intelligent sensing" of the device type connected to adjust the charging level.
But that is in my view not good for a Pi unit since the power connector just has the power lines connected, no intelligent communication channel available.
A reliable say 6-channel charging station capable of supplying up to 2A per channel would be fine.

Any experiences/advice here?

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:56 am
by fruitoftheloom
Bosse_B wrote:I have several RPi unit sitting on my desktop and each has a charger plug as power supply occupying one power wall outlet each.
Now I am getting annoyed about this situation and want to get a single multi-channel power supply/charger instead.
Is there any recommendation as to which product I should choose?

I see several on the market and they often cite an "intelligent sensing" of the device type connected to adjust the charging level.
But that is in my view not good for a Pi unit since the power connector just has the power lines connected, no intelligent communication channel available.
A reliable say 6-channel charging station capable of supplying up to 2A per channel would be fine.

Any experiences/advice here?
:?: :?:

http://www.ianker.com/Wall-Chargers/category-c78-s1

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:56 am
by fruit-uk
I have an 8A PSU (supposedly medical grade cert IIRC) that outputs to DIN. I have several splitters plugged to this with DC connectors to power all my HA and network stuff

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:11 am
by Bosse_B
I'd rather have a supply that can sit on my desktop with multiple USB sockets for the power lines to the RPi units I have.
Don't want to wire up something non-standard....

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:14 am
by Bosse_B
This company seems to have a range of products that might fit the bill.
However they tote the Power-IQ functionality to "adapt" the current limit to the device type connected.
I do not believe that the RPi has any reporting facility built into the Micro-USB power connector, so how does this work out?
Will the Anker unit simply switch to 500 mA feed, which is insufficient for any RPi unit or what will happen?

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:31 am
by fruitoftheloom
Bosse_B wrote:
This company seems to have a range of products that might fit the bill.
However they tote the Power-IQ functionality to "adapt" the current limit to the device type connected.
I do not believe that the RPi has any reporting facility built into the Micro-USB power connector, so how does this work out?
Will the Anker unit simply switch to 500 mA feed, which is insufficient for any RPi unit or what will happen?
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=117029&p=796825


Searching the forum Anker Products get a far few mentions over the last few years.....

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:16 pm
by fruit-uk
fruitoftheloom wrote:Searching the forum Anker Products get a far few mentions over the last few years.....
I'm confused by that statement - and suspect a non-native English speaker may be too.

I think what you are implying is that they used to be considered very good with many mentions here but with fewer recent mentions they may not be considered that good any more?

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:21 pm
by rpdom
fruit-uk wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Searching the forum Anker Products get a far few mentions over the last few years.....
I'm confused by that statement - and suspect a non-native English speaker may be too.

I think what you are implying is that they used to be considered very good with many mentions here but with fewer recent mentions they may not be considered that good any more?
I think that should have been "a fair few mentions", meaning "quite a lot". I've been very impressed with my Anker supply.

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:11 pm
by fruitoftheloom
rpdom wrote:
fruit-uk wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Searching the forum Anker Products get a far few mentions over the last few years.....
I'm confused by that statement - and suspect a non-native English speaker may be too.

I think what you are implying is that they used to be considered very good with many mentions here but with fewer recent mentions they may not be considered that good any more?
I think that should have been "a fair few mentions", meaning "quite a lot". I've been very impressed with my Anker supply.
Yes quite so, unfortunately my keyboard can not type :roll:

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:13 pm
by fruit-uk
Thanks, I got completely the wrong impression then :)

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:35 pm
by Bosse_B
rpdom wrote: I think that should have been "a fair few mentions", meaning "quite a lot". I've been very impressed with my Anker supply.
What Anker type do you use, and how many RPi do you connect?

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:12 pm
by rpdom
Bosse_B wrote:
rpdom wrote: I think that should have been "a fair few mentions", meaning "quite a lot". I've been very impressed with my Anker supply.
What Anker type do you use, and how many RPi do you connect?
Mine is one of the older 5-port models. At most, I've had three Pi's (one being a Pi2B), a hard disk and some speakers running off it. The Pi 2B has never indicated low power.

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:18 pm
by BMS Doug
I've got 3 of the 5 port models, two of them have lost some output channels (I'm guessing that some internal fuses have blown) I know the cause and I was very cross with her.
Even where some channels have ceased to power an output the remaining channels still work.

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:54 pm
by Bosse_B
Fine, then I will start looking for a Swedish place to buy it from. :) :D

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:29 pm
by stderr
Bosse_B wrote:I see several on the market and they often cite an "intelligent sensing" of the device type connected to adjust the charging level.
What does that mean in the context of something that doesn't have a battery?
A reliable say 6-channel charging station capable of supplying up to 2A per channel would be fine.
I know you said you didn't want something non-standard, but using a reasonable amount of 5v from the power supply of a computer that isn't turned off but rarely can work. This is especially true if you find out you are using a mainboard that doesn't itself use a lot of 5v because it's doing its own conversion to the very low voltages from 12v.

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:32 pm
by Bosse_B
stderr wrote:
Bosse_B wrote:I see several on the market and they often cite an "intelligent sensing" of the device type connected to adjust the charging level.
What does that mean in the context of something that doesn't have a battery?
Exactly! That is why I am asking. If it is indeed trying to manage the charging then it will stop if it detects a battery malfunction. I don't want that kind. OTOH USB chargers are basically supplying power to devices that are managing their charging process internally so in this context what it could do is only setting a current limit value based on some sensing. Which I don't want....
A reliable say 6-channel charging station capable of supplying up to 2A per channel would be fine.
I know you said you didn't want something non-standard, but using a reasonable amount of 5v from the power supply of a computer that isn't turned off but rarely can work. This is especially true if you find out you are using a mainboard that doesn't itself use a lot of 5v because it's doing its own conversion to the very low voltages from 12v.
Well, I don't fancy building my own distribution panel with a number of USB sockets soldered together if I can buy a ready-made unit that fits the needs...
I have found that Deltaco markets a unit (USB-AC115) that has 10 connectors, 5 of which are high-current (2.4A) whereas the remaining ones are 1A each. But all 10 cannot be used simultaneously so the unit is 5x2.4A OR 10x1A depending on a switch setting. Its form factor is not very good for my needs, though. I would like a vertical stack rather than a flat surface unit with connectors spread out over the top surface.

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:55 am
by stderr
Bosse_B wrote:Well, I don't fancy building my own distribution panel with a number of USB sockets soldered together
If I was running off the main box's power supply, after making sure I was well within spec, I'd probably just use splitters and Molex power to microUSB cables. Of course I'd have to find such a thing, but it seems like someone should be selling them out of China or something.
if I can buy a ready-made unit that fits the needs...
I have found that Deltaco markets a unit (USB-AC115) that has 10 connectors, 5 of which are high-current (2.4A) whereas the remaining ones are 1A each. But all 10 cannot be used simultaneously
Which is really a common issue, certainly with the wall wart types I've seen. Kind of the point is to reduce the amount of stuff plugged into the wall, so when it doesn't really let you use a lot of full power USB ports, you aren't gaining much, I think.

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:17 am
by Aydan
if I can buy a ready-made unit that fits the needs...
I have found that Deltaco markets a unit (USB-AC115) that has 10 connectors, 5 of which are high-current (2.4A) whereas the remaining ones are 1A each. But all 10 cannot be used simultaneously
I think you misunderstand this limitation. This means you cannot use all ports at the same time with rated current. You'll have to find out how much current can be supplied in total. Since the pi only uses .7 amps that means you can connect 4 Pi's and only have the equivalent of one high-current port used. Of course if you start connecting USB devices then you'll have to recalculate the total current draw.

Regards
Aydan

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:25 am
by fruit-uk
stderr wrote:If I was running off the main box's power supply, after making sure I was well within spec, I'd probably just use splitters and Molex power to microUSB cables.
I use this sort of thing http://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/c3704/l ... dp/PW03123 but I'm sure they won't suit everyone.

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:12 pm
by Bosse_B
fruit-uk wrote:I use this sort of thing http://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/c3704/l ... dp/PW03123 but I'm sure they won't suit everyone.
Right, there is no sign of any USB connector in that cable...
Neither the A plug nor the MicroUSB that plugs into the Pi....

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:04 pm
by fruit-uk
You are correct.
My equipment requires a variety of connectors. I make up leads with a DC connector at one end and whatever I need at the other

I understand this would not suit you for the reasons you gave earlier, however my post was in response to stderr's

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:10 pm
by Aydan
I just found this on amazon.de
6x2.5A USB power supply

Regards
Aydan

Re: Power supply for multiple RPi units

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:05 am
by electronicman
I have 4 Pi's running from 4 USB connectors that are fed from an old 35 Volt DC printer power supply connected though a DC to DC converter that puts out 5 Volts DC for the Pi's. Works very well, but it takes up some room on my work bench. One day I will try to fit into a smaller space like a black box to look more professional.